Camping Near Bozeman

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Since we just bought a house our plans to vacation somewhere tropical will have to wait until next year. I am looking for some input, we are looking at camping or maybe renting a cabin in the Bozeman area but not stuck on area we may do some hopping around SW MT. Is it safe to camp around there or are the bears a pain in the ass? I have spent plenty of time in grizzly country but would prefer not to do it with my little girl. We will be going in the middle of June for about 10 days.

I am looking for any suggestions for the following:

-places to fish/flyfish (I have a boat for lake fishing if there is any worth making the haul from idaho)
- Guide Suggestions for a fly fishing trip
- any other attractions worth seeing like the dinosaur museum
* I have a 5 year old as well so any suggestions on fun things for kids would be great.

We are considering going to Yellowstone for a day or two as well.

TL406

Lil-Rokslider
Anything south of Bozeman has griz, north of Bozeman not so much. The fly fishing around there is questionable right now considering they ran Madison dry a few months ago and all the rivers that converge at Three Forks are really struggling with fish numbers. I think Ennis and Hebgen Lakes are still fine, that might be the places to check out. Call the Slide Inn for better info.

Louis and Clark Caverns aren’t that far away and people seem to think that’s a pretty cool spot, I’ve never been.

FLATHEAD

WKR
There's a fly shop downtown, they might point you in the right direction.
Dont mention Tenkara poles though. They come unglued!!!
Your little girl would prolly like the Dino museum.
Other than that , I remember good eats and lots of hiking.

OP
PanhandlePilgrim

PanhandlePilgrim

Lil-Rokslider
Thats a shame about the Madison. Thanks for the input.

What's some good restaurants/breweries around there? I don't own a Tenkara so I should be ok.

FLATHEAD

WKR
My favorites were Ted's grill (Bison Steak) and the Ale House(?)Bison Burger
There's also a good pizza place there on the main strip.

Thats a shame about the Madison. Thanks for the input.

What's some good restaurants/breweries around there? I don't own a Tenkara so I should be ok.
Haven't been to Bozeman since the college days but Ted's was for sure the best back then (burgers are excellent). The brewery by MSU used to have fantastic (and giant) pizzas, the donut shop next door was also money. Blackbird was probably the most upscale place at the time, good food.

Edit: The sushi place downtown and the sushi fusion place east of campus were also good, don't remember their names.

Werty

WKR
Better start making reservations now, this place fills up quick. Tons of stuff to do here.
Tons of food and beer options here.

Elk97

WKR
My grandsons live in Bozeman and love the dino museun, go several times per year. Camping south of Bozeman you just need to be bear aware, they are there but unless you are sleeping in a tent with food you shouldn't have a problem. Just realize they can be anywhere at anytime. A fun hike for kids is to do the "M" out towards Bridger from town. Have fun!

FLATHEAD

WKR
Yeah, that "M-trail" aint no joke.
While my wife and I were hiking it there were some gals
from the college track team out there running
up and down that thing.
How they kept from killing themself I dont know.

Mt Al

WKR
Ted's is great, also Sidewinders, Nordic, Copper, Sweet Chillis ,Dave's Sushi, Red Tractor Pizza, Rib and Chop House is getting better each time we go, Tanglewood, Bridger Brewing, etc. Plenty of great places to eat.
I'd recommend more days in Yellowstone and making reservations ASAP. More time there and you'll be more relaxed and see more cool stuff.
Fly fishing will be fine in plenty of places as long as there isn't too much runoff. Check out the fishing reports in the weeks prior to your arrival. Oftentimes June is the worst depending on how much snow and when it's melting. If the rivers are up, you can try Canyon Ferry, Hebgen, Hyalite, etc, with your boat or try to get on a spring creek. If you're in Yellowstone and the rivers are high/brown/etc, you can look at hiring a guide to fish Yellowstone Lake.
Check The River's Edge for fishing guides, great resource.
Your daughter will love the Dino museum!

FLATHEAD

WKR
I agree with the timing of the snow melt. We were there in late May/early June Bear
hunting and the rivers were def. up. and slightly angry.

Clarktar

WKR
The Roost.

There is a breakfast place by a donut shop on east side of MSU. That place is good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
No, it's not storm castle jagaloon. Unless it changed names.

I think it was just Stormcastle. Good food and not overly priced.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
It is Stormcastle as it's great! Now you've made me hungry for their chow and will head there for lunch. Where do I forward the bill?

ewade07

WKR
It is Stormcastle as it's great! Now you've made me hungry for their chow and will head there for lunch. Where do I forward the bill?
Back when i was in college i would go in there and special order 12 egg omelettes. Hopefully the cook is the same dude, seemed like a nice guy to put up with my requests.