Camping Near Missoula

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna be heading to Great Falls with two of my boys and wanted to stop and camp near Missoula. Not looking for activities to do, just looking for woods to play in, setup a tent, have a fire, eat, sleep then hit the road after breakfast in the morning. I'm fine with primitive/a dirt spot a few hundred yards off the road.

I'll be traveling I-90 East then up mt-200.

Last edited:
Once you get up by Clearwater junction there are lots of places to camp along the Blackfoot river. Beautiful country and lots of elk due to the wildlife refuge being right there

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Once you get up by Clearwater junction there are lots of places to camp along the Blackfoot river. Beautiful country and lots of elk due to the wildlife refuge being right there

Is there camping allowed at all those fishing access points? I've slept in my car one night at a fishing access along there but didn't notice much other than a pit toilet.

Some of the fishing access sites do have actual campsites. Harry Morgan and Russell Gates come to mind. I can't remember, but I'm pretty sure Sunset Hill has camping as well. Also, Harpers Lake has a campsite, about a mile up 83 at Clearwater Junction.

Also, if you need to break up the drive sooner and camp before Missoula there are several campsites along the Clark Fork between Superior and Alberton. Forest Grove is nice and on the river. Quartz Flat is good campground and rest area, but right on the interstate so not very quiet.

OP
Jskaanland

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Also, if you need to break up the drive sooner and camp before Missoula there are several campsites along the Clark Fork between Superior and Alberton. Forest Grove is nice and on the river. Quartz Flat is good campground and rest area, but right on the interstate so not very quiet.
Thanks ridge ghost, we stayed at forest grove last night. My kids loved it!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk