Camping near Wolf Creek pass, Co

Me and a buddy are taking a ski trip to wolf creek in a couple weeks. We are going to camp in my truck bed slide in camper. Any locals got a tip on forest service access near the pass that will be accessible? I’m familiar with the area but not what might be available right now.
I know this is off topic but this time of year the whole forum is full of off topic.
Anyway just looking for a simple place to park.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camp in their parking lot. Done it many times. Just be ready to move the truck during plow sessions at night. No pullouts are open this time of year.

Also, if you do need to go to town for supplies and it’s dumping, don’t go to Pagosa. They close the west side of the pass for avi control. In big storms it has closed for 7-9 days before. They have almost never close the East side.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’ve camped in the parking lot several times (last time was 20 years ago though....damn I’m getting old).

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Not a local but familiar with the area, lot's of forest service roads with camp spots around there, whole bunch between Pagosa and the Pass

WyoElk

WKR
And if you do head down to Pagosa springs make sure Earl puts out his cigar and has got his act together and don't bother counting telephone poles. Them chickens are going to die anyhow.

This is exactly what I was thinking

jwatts

WKR
And if you do head down to Pagosa springs make sure Earl puts out his cigar and has got his act together and don't bother counting telephone poles. Them chickens are going to die anyhow.

And don't smash into the feed store at the bottom of the hill.

BluMtn

WKR
Years ago I drove down the old Wolf Creek Pass and thought that when I reached the bottom I would enter Pagosa Springs. Didn't release I would have such a drive to get there.

OP
seldomseensmith
Camp in their parking lot. Done it many times. Just be ready to move the truck during plow sessions at night. No pullouts are open this time of year.

Also, if you do need to go to town for supplies and it’s dumping, don’t go to Pagosa. They close the west side of the pass for avi control. In big storms it has closed for 7-9 days before. They have almost never close the East side.

Yeah thanks. I wasn’t sure they would let you but saw some other stuff on the web that said it was all good. If any place was gonna let you I figured WC would.

Poser

WKR
Like others said, camping in the parking lot is fine, but be mindful of the plows. You can also camp at some of the trailheads at the top of the pass -you’ll see snowmobiles Rigs and backcountry skiers parked there. Mind the heavy snowfall as it relates to your tire situation though. Definitely have a shovel and maybe a sandbag if you are going to do this with snow in the forecast. Depending on what elevation you are coming from, know that WC pass is pretty high and may interfere with your a ability to sleep.

FYI: You can rent a cabin in South Fork for $60 a night. Also, Wolf Creek actually has extremely reasonably priced and pretty decent culinary offers for a ski area. You can get a real lunch for $10, which is nice. Pagosa Springs is a lot further from the top of the pass than you might expect. The Mexican restaurant in South Fork is surprisingly legit.

I was just up there Sunday for a 10 inch powder day. We have a 100% average snowpack in the SW so far this season, but have been totally lacking for big storms. 10 inches has been about as good as it gets so far. That being said, 4 inches at WC on a week day means you can reliably get fresh turns pretty much open to close.

efa77109c22b2285f5afd149bddf95ba.jpg

OP
seldomseensmith
Thanks so much honestly for all the great info. I live only 2 hours from WC so I know the area pretty well. I’m a 40 day a year type skier so I’ve skied WC 100 times probably. We have a family house in Chama so we often stay there when we ski WC.
My buddy and I decided that it would be fun to just ski all day and instead of either driving to Chama or paying for Pagosa we would ski, eat elk stew, drink heavily and repeat. Sounds like from the info here and elsewhere no one will harass us in the lot. We might pick a close by trailhead so we can have a fire if it’s not howling up there.
Sometimes I bitch in my head about some of the nonsense on this forum but honestly it’s full of great people that go out of their way to share reliable info. Thanks again.

CJF

WKR
No matter how many times I read this, I cannot read it in my own voice!

Poser

WKR
Thanks so much honestly for all the great info. I live only 2 hours from WC so I know the area pretty well. I’m a 40 day a year type skier so I’ve skied WC 100 times probably. We have a family house in Chama so we often stay there when we ski WC.
My buddy and I decided that it would be fun to just ski all day and instead of either driving to Chama or paying for Pagosa we would ski, eat elk stew, drink heavily and repeat. Sounds like from the info here and elsewhere no one will harass us in the lot. We might pick a close by trailhead so we can have a fire if it’s not howling up there.
Sometimes I bitch in my head about some of the nonsense on this forum but honestly it’s full of great people that go out of their way to share reliable info. Thanks again.

The Continental Divide trail head is on the North side of the highway at the summit of the pass. If the wind is too much, there is also a TH as the base of the South Fork side. Pro tip for ski camping: either bring an inverter to dry out and heat up your boots or sleep with your boot liners in your bag. Nothing worse than frozen boot liners.

OP
seldomseensmith
The Continental Divide trail head is on the North side of the highway at the summit of the pass. If the wind is too much, there is also a TH as the base of the South Fork side. Pro tip for ski camping: either bring an inverter to dry out and heat up your boots or sleep with your boot liners in your bag. Nothing worse than frozen boot liners.

Point well taken. I’m on it.

ColoradoV

WKR
Lodging is cheap in south fork (east of the divide) that is usually the most comfortable line..

If you have to camp 1. the lot as others have said will be plowed at night, 2. Spring creek trailhead = closer to south fork, snow machine guys will leave by 4pm so if arrive late leave early not many folks there 3. Turtle lakes = closer to ski area, same w snowmachine traffic..

All above options are on the east side of divide between south fork and ski area.