Camping Suggestions

WyoElk

WKR
Hey guys, my family and I are road tripping to Bend, OR next month for a baptism and I'm looking for some ideas on places to camp along the way. We are going to bring our pop-up camper and will be traveling with kids 4, 2, and eight months. While we typically only camp at dispersed sites we are just looking for places that are open and convenient for this trip although I'm not very interested in KOA's and RV parks. State parks and designated camping will be ok for this trip. We are looking for spot within about a half an hour of the following three places. Thanks in advance for the help.

1. Price, UT/ Soldier Summit area

2. Burley, ID

3. Boise, ID. West of Boise would be better but it looks like the only NF there is east.

Thanks for the suggestions, I really appreciate the help.

Josh

sneek-ee

WKR
What dates will you be going thru price?
You can come to bear camp and run hounds if dates line up. Let me know

idcuda

WKR
This may not fit well in your schedule, but Bruneau Sand Dunes is a good stop as far as one-off, unique places go. It's a state park, so it has the amenities. The hike to the top of the dunes will whoop ya. It's kinda between Burley/Boise.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huntington state park is about 30 minutes from Price. If it's a weekend reserve a spot early. It's my favorite close spot with the family. There is a campground in price canyon that's just off the hwy but is basically spots and has pit toilets. You can also turn off at the summit but that road can get rough and it's a ways until you could find a tree to park by.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
W

WyoElk

WKR
Thanks for the ideas fellas, I think we are set around Price. We are looking at Lake Walcott which is around Burley and it looks like there is plenty of Camping east of Boise. This could be an interesting trip with young kids but I think we will make it. I'm sure we will have a lot of memeories either way :)

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
highway 6 outside of Price has an unusually high fatality rate. I would not drive that at night. Hell, I'd take Chicago or California highways before going to Price. As far as camping around there, you can camp pretty much anywhere that's not posted. Utah is pretty much the polar opposite to Wyoming in terms of trespassing. If it isn't posted or gated, you can consider that public and use it.

Stay safe and have a great trip

ben

Takem

WKR
highway 6 outside of Price has an unusually high fatality rate. I would not drive that at night. Hell, I'd take Chicago or California highways before going to Price. As far as camping around there, you can camp pretty much anywhere that's not posted. Utah is pretty much the polar opposite to Wyoming in terms of trespassing. If it isn't posted or gated, you can consider that public and use it.

That's a interesting to hear that about 6. I hate the stretch South of Price at night.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Huge improvement in the hwy over the last 5 years or so. I don't think your family will have any dramas on it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ben h

Lil-Rokslider
it's not likely you'll have problems on highway 6, but any 2-lane highways with high traffic counts has a lot more likely-hood of an incident than a divided highway (particularly when a lot of it is semis, in steep windy terrain). I hate that road and truth be told I've only driven it twice in the last 10 years so it might be somewhat different now. My only point was to stay safe. You'll know what I'm talking about after your trip. Like I said, anywhere that's not posted, fenced, gated or obviously private, you can consider that public and camp anywhere you want.

Have a great trip.

ben

wildcat33

WKR
West of Boise into eastern Oregon I would recommend staying at the Crystal Crane hot springs. Late may is pretty nice out there, a lot of birds migrating through and the desert is still fairly green. The hot springs are simple, perfect for a camper, with facilities and a game room. None of that crystals-up-your-arse, new age, nudie vibe thing you find at some hot springs. I drive to Bend every few years and really enjoy staying out there.

gwl79902

WKR
If you can not make it to bend a good layover is chucker flat camp ground near jentura. If is a cheap blm campground. Only problem I have found a goathead stickers on the ground cans be bad for dogs