Can $200 binoculars possibly be any good?

I needed a small pair of ~$200 binos for turkey hunting. There aren't just a ton of offerings in this category. Browsed forums for hours and couldn't even find too many reviews. Finally took the plunge and settled on some 7x28 Maven C2s after reading so many great things about the company on here. I am very impressed with Mavens! They let in a lot more light than I expected and are exactly what I needed for turkey hunting.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Agreed on the spotter. I sent mine back the same day I got it. If people think it's good, then their eyes are a lot different than mine - which may very well be true.

Thank you!!!! I honestly don’t understand the praise those vanguard spotters got, the one I tried was pretty junky.

My Leupold BX-2 Tioga HD 12x50s I got a hold of for about $240....if you wait till around Black Fridays/Cyber Mondays or just watch Ebay you can get em $80-100 off normal.

Think I deleted the picture, but I could see through them plenty well past shooting light. They get my recommendation if you're looking for sub $300-500 binos. No eye strain, slight aberration around the edges, but if I wanted to be nitpicky I saw variable amounts of that in my buddies $2k or so Swaro 15s.

That being said, from experience, do NOT go cheap on your spotting scope (under $700). I don't care how good it looks, how many raving 5 star reviews it has from bird watchers, weight watchers, neighborhood watchers, you're gonna be lugging extra weight for no reason.

These $100 bone collectors seem to work pretty good! Maybe if I ever get 10 posts I’ll find a deal on something betterin the classifieds!

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
i have a pair of leupold acaida 8x42, and they arent bad at all. i switched to swarovski. the leupys were like 180 bucks. the only thing i dont like is the diopter adjustment is right where your fingers naturally lay, and anyone using them inadvertantly “adjusts” it out of whack. other than that, there aint a thing wrong with them. for under 200, a guy would be well served with them.

i am sure some of the other binos listed by other members are more of the same. you aint gotta drop 2800 to get a good pair of binos.

Sobie2

FNG
Ditto! I have a pair of Bushnell 8x42 Legend M-Series. I took them on a Dall sheep hunt and am very happy with them. I have side by side compared them with my dad's Leicas and they are really really close, so totally with it. I am going to buy either a pair of Legend L-Series 12x50 or the Engage 12x50s next. I buy Bushnell for the Rainguard coating because here in AK it works (hands down). Rainguard is now called EXOBarrier.

Sobie2

BIGEYES

FNG
I recently bought a Minox BF 10x42, priced under the OP's budget, for use as a house glass. I've been very happy with the glass. It is optically sharp, focus is a little touchy, but focuses perfectly.

I have Bushnell, Nikon, Leupold, Minox and Swarovski binoculars and use all of them in different situations. But, I can tell you there is no comparison between the first four brands I mentioned and the Swaros.

So, if you like $200 binoculars, great; just don't ever look through any of the "high end" binoculars and you will be fine.

ClearCreek

BIGEYES

FNG
ClearCreek, I agree. You can't beat the Alphas. But like you said, "use all of them in different situations."

Ace12

Lil-Rokslider
i have a pair of leupold acaida 8x42, and they arent bad at all. i switched to swarovski. the leupys were like 180 bucks. the only thing i dont like is the diopter adjustment is right where your fingers naturally lay, and anyone using them inadvertantly “adjusts” it out of whack. other than that, there aint a thing wrong with them. for under 200, a guy would be well served with them.

i am sure some of the other binos listed by other members are more of the same. you aint gotta drop 2800 to get a good pair of binos.
I have 8x42 and 12x50’s Acadias. Love them

Torrey in Tahoe

Lil-Rokslider
I own a pair of swarovski slc but my interest has shifted mainly to mountain biking. I'm thinking about selling them and getting something cheaper. I'll have to take a look at those bushnells.

LostArra

WKR
Then go ahead and use your $200 binocs, knock yourself out!

ClearCreek

I didn't exactly knock myself out but buying my Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's I saved enough for 5 years of elk tags that I filled carrying $200 binos. And I do own Swaros but I just hate crawling thru the sage brush with $1800 around my neck. Those Mae West chest packs just aren't for me.

OP
Newtosavage
I didn't exactly knock myself out but buying my Sightron Blue Sky II 8x32's I saved enough for 5 years of elk tags that I filled carrying $200 binos. And I do own Swaros but I just hate crawling thru the sage brush with $1800 around my neck. Those Mae West chest packs just aren't for me.
May West chest packs... :ROFLMAO:

kcm2

WKR
Opinion, based on experience: They may be optically good, but they very well may not be robust enough for the severe weather of my hunts. I had a pair of inexpensive Nikons that were optically as good as some Zeiss binos that cost 5x as much. Until, they fogged on an elk hunt. My binos now are Swarovski and Kahles.

Sobie2

FNG
From my experiences in Southeast Alaska for Deer, where I live, and the rest of Alaska (Sheep, Moose, Caribou), my Bushnell Legend M-Series have held up, as have my Bushnell Elite 3200, 3500, and 4200 rifle scopes. Rainguard/EXO Barrier works. Mechanicals have been good too. Totally worth the buy in price to me.

Sobie2