Can a Browning X-Bolt Pro Hang with a Seekins or Tikka?

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never been able to not get one to shoot well. I’m not saying every Browning I’ve owned was MOA with factory loads, but many were/are, and I was always able to get at least one load to shoot quite well.

I love the safety location and the 60 degree bolt throw. In a hunting rifle, I also like their detachable mags.

I wish they were as easy to barrel swaps as Tikkas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unckebob

WKR
Half off I would grab it and shoot it first. Then pass whichever one you don’t shoot as well to your Dad. Could be a tough choice which one to pass to him though as they both should shoot and both have great stocks!

Pass the better shooter to his dad!

chaza402

FNG
I won a xbolt long range pro a few years back. Only ever shot ruger m77 and rem 700s. Picked the 28 Nosler which wouldn’t be my should today but it is an awesome round and it’s take a few deer, a couple of nice buck speedgoats, and 3 cows.

Every time I pick it up I am amazed at how awesome it handles and it feels against my shoulder. Never had to take any shots over 250 with it but I know I could if I had to, i like to hunt more than shoot! 😂

I truly love it and if I ever go to get a new gun I will probably try and pick up the Mtn pro in a spr for the shorter barrel for a suppressor. The gun just handles so damn well eve with a leupold vx6 4-24.

Get one and see. If I was you I would go with a pro if you have some extra money. The stock is worth the upgrade.IMG_9283.jpeg

FastXD

FNG
I have a Browning X-Bolt Speed SPR in 300 PRC and once I switched the trigger spring to a lighter spring the trigger went from a little over 3 lbs to 1.5 lbs. There are several videos on Youtube how to switch the trigger spring. There are kits for the spring but all you need is a spring small enough to fit through the hole where the set screw is unless you want to disassemble the trigger to swap it out.

Vicomb

FNG
Agreed. I have two X-bolts that are 1/2" shooters consistently with my handloads.
Neither has been picky about bullet or seating depth either.

I actually shot a 5/8" group at 300 yards with one of them a few weeks ago.
What bullet and powder are you using? I'm not satisfied with my 300prc mountain pro x-bolt so far.

manitou1

WKR
What bullet and powder are you using? I'm not satisfied with my 300prc mountain pro x-bolt so far.
The two I am referring to are identical .280 Remingtons.
I also have a .280 ai X-bolt that is proving to be a tack driver.

The .280s were not picky about powder... H4831 SC and 7828 were my go-to powders and now RE23. Both shoot 1/2"+/- with Nosler Accubonds... both the 140s and 160 grains.

The Ackley likes the ABLR 168 gr and RE 23.

These were actually the first groups and first handloads tried in the .280s... before even pharting with seating depth.
I didn't mess around with several groups until I got a decent five-shot group to photograph. These are literally the first groups.

It would be nice if working up loads always went this route.😁
IMG_6246.pngIMG_6247.png

Last edited:

manitou1

WKR
I don't know if your 300 prc will like the same powders. I never loaded for one.

I do know a lot of the new X-bolts have really long throats to accomodate heavier/longer bullets. My ackley is unbelievably long throated.
Have you tried various bullets and seating depths?
Both my 280 ackley rifles HATE each other's bullets. One prefers ABLRs/Accubonds and the other (custom) will only shoot Berger VLDs.

Last edited:

Vicomb

FNG
I also discovered crazy long throat measurements! I' tried Staball HD, LRT, R-26, powders and bullets from Hammer 193 gr. to Berger 215 gr. I'm going to try some 220 gr. and move up to 245 gr. to see if that proves to be the right combination. Thanks for your reply!

180ls1

WKR
I also discovered crazy long throat measurements! I' tried Staball HD, LRT, R-26, powders and bullets from Hammer 193 gr. to Berger 215 gr. I'm going to try some 220 gr. and move up to 245 gr. to see if that proves to be the right combination. Thanks for your reply!

For what it's worth. Mine likes the factory 225 match so much I never tried anything else. When I was researching, others were getting better groups with that class of bullets compared to the 190-215 stuff. I would definitely try the heavy pills. If I recall it's also an 1/8 twist which is 1" faster than saami so I dont think you'll have any issues with the 245 or 230 class stuff.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never been able to not get one to shoot well. I’m not saying every Browning I’ve owned was MOA with factory loads, but many were/are, and I was always able to get at least one load to shoot quite well.

I love the safety location and the 60 degree bolt throw. In a hunting rifle, I also like their detachable mags.

I wish they were as easy to barrel swaps as Tikkas!

Have you swapped an X-bolt barrel? Mine will need a new tube in a year or two and I really want to do it myself. I can't imagine it being much more difficult than the two tikkas I've done, I had to relief cut the factory barrel on the T3 I recently built on

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider
Have you swapped an X-bolt barrel? Mine will need a new tube in a year or two and I really want to do it myself. I can't imagine it being much more difficult than the two tikkas I've done, I had to relief cut the factory barrel on the T3 I recently built on

No, I have not. On that note, I have an A Bolt Mountain Ti in .243 that id love to put a faster twist barrel on as well. If you hear of any helpful tips or suggestions, I’m all ears as well.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
No, I have not. On that note, I have an A Bolt Mountain Ti in .243 that id love to put a faster twist barrel on as well. If you hear of any helpful tips or suggestions, I’m all ears as well.

What issues are you having or anticipating with Browning compared to other rifle brands. I've heard they spin them on pretty tightly, but after my last tikka, I can't imagine it's tighter than the 450+ ftlb I tried before I started cutting the barrel.

onlybrowning

Lil-Rokslider

I feel like we’re really hijacking at this point, but…

I’ve never swapped barrels on a Browning, but in my limited “research,” it seems Browning used or uses some type of thread locker, coupled with fine threads, which can pose a problem (or at least a perceived or anticipated problem among many gunsmiths). I’ve read that the issue is allegedly worse with stainless actions.

Interestingly, I read that some gunsmiths choose to cut the barrel off, then put the action in a lathe to cut close to the threads, then remove the thin metal left to avoid the torque or heat to unthread the factory barrel.

Last edited: