Can a stock be too light?

Teaman1

WKR
I’m looking to have my first custom rifle built. Hoping for an all around hunting rifle from prairies to the mountains. I’m hoping to get to 600-700 yards accurately.
I’m thinking of using a bartlein 3b contour, which leads me to my question.
With all the light weight stock options, would a 26oz stock be really unbalanced with a 30 cal 26” bartlein 3b? Would a heavier stock be better to balance out that barrel?

Decided on a terminus Kratos action
Bartlein 3b 26”
BDL type bottom metal

Undecided on stock, but thinking a manners EH-6 or AG Composite Privateer

Last edited:
I think when you throw a scope on it it will balance fine. Haven’t really noticed a problem with light stocks until I started putting a can on my rifles

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
I’m not necessarily trying for a lightweight. Kind of hoping for 9.5 pounds scoped.
Mainly hoping for accurate and well balanced for carrying.
I do not have the barrel. I’ve been considering contours similar to a Bartlein 3 and 3b.
I’m not a huge fan of vertical gripped stocks, which is how I ended up looking at the two mentioned earlier

amassi

WKR
Nope they sure cant be too light
The gunwerks clymr is super light and probably the most all around shootable stock ever designed. Alterra also makes a super light super shooter
They'll also inlet for your kratos.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’m not necessarily trying for a lightweight. Kind of hoping for 9.5 pounds scoped.
Mainly hoping for accurate and well balanced for carrying.
I do not have the barrel. I’ve been considering contours similar to a Bartlein 3 and 3b.
I’m not a huge fan of vertical gripped stocks, which is how I ended up looking at the two mentioned earlier
Depending on the scope you decide to use it might not balance well. A Bart 3b is a pretty beefy barrel contour and with it finished @ 26" there will be a lot of weight out front. If you already have the barrel it might be OK, could always flute it to take off a bit of weight if the balance is funky. But a lot will depend on your scope choice, if you put a 30+oz scope on it you could be OK.