Can a Vortex PST get the job done?

This might be a good place to repost what I added in post #20.

" I feel most of the time these preferences of methods should be defined with intended range for use. What one gets away with at 500 yards may not be so successful at 1500 and beyond."

Jeff

Jeff, nothin you posted I disagree with for what you're using it for. You know your system and use it very effectively! No doubt there. We both shoot what we shoot for different legit reasons.

Mike

KMD

Banned
As HellsCanyon described above, I also prefer to dial elevation and hold wind.
I also employ FFP scopes with an appropriate reticle design, so as to negate any issue of reticle thickness at the aiming point. With this setup, there are no shortcomings or limitations to excuse for. Dialing down from max. mag setting increases field of view and allows for spotting bullet impact more easily without losing sight picture. Also, immediately compensating for a miss with a measured reticle hold, will allow for a quick 'followup' to re-engage the same target before conditions change. Only a FFP optic allows for that ability and versatility, at any magnification.

That said, I'd like to try Nightforce's new SHV. Their NXS line is a proven standard in reliability and repeatability. I'd lean toward spending the $$ on a Nighforce product, over the PST, based on my own experiences...

Broz

WKR
Mike, I agree. I take many hunters in for elk each year. Last year this was from a 13 yr old girl to a 74 yr old man. They often use my rifles. I understand your points well. And we know all circumstances are different. I find it much less confusing to dial both windage and elevation and instruct to hold for a center reticle hold right where we want the bullet placed. I don't care for counting over one two or 3 lines or even having to hold between lines like a 1 1/2 or a 1 1/4 moa hold. That is where I see the problem. I feel it can get equally confusing, counting and holding in between lines, as dialing. I doubt you or I would have that problem but as you mentioned earlier a novice or in the heat of the moment errors could be made with either method. All this said, we take no fast shots for game. If adequate time is not allowed we pass and keep hunting. I even had the 13 yr old dry fire several times first. Results were a one shot elk kill at 601 yards from a rifle she had never shot.

I also understand your reasons for holding off in a timed competition. Being under the clock is much like buck fever and encourages error. A rushed shot on game induces pressure from both the clock and the buck fever. Thus the reason I make it clear to all when hunting there is no rush. If we don't get the shot we find another to shoot. Practice and adequate time to execute a long range shot is best, even if the practice is a only few dry fire rounds before the kill shot.

What I was eluding to with distances, a 1500 yard shot could easily have a wind hold to the side of a reticle. (talking practice here) For this where you may need a 6 plus moa windage hold. I would much rather dial windage here, like I do for all first round shots. Then if a follow up is needed hold off the small amount of correction and send it. In this instance as long as you spot your own shot what power you are on makes zero difference even with a SFP scope. If you viewed the miss to be one line left or right simply hold the correction one line left or right and send it. Reticle calibration has been eliminated so I do not need a FFP. This whole scenario would be much different at 500 yards where a simple 1 or 2 moa hold for wind would be much more doable. Thus my point that distance matters with method used.

I offer this not to debate. Rather to offer a method used by many that hunt long range. What we do was generated for hunting and used by some of the best long range hunters know to this sport. I post these examples so readers either novice or advanced can decide which method will work best for them whether it be competition or hunting.

Thanks for you reply.
Jeff

Last edited:
If NF would make a three power NXS id scoop it up in a heartbeat.

5.5x to 11x to 22x with a "clicker" dial.

Hell, 11 and 22x are all I use anyway.

Mike, I agree. I take many hunters in for elk each year. Last year this was from a 13 yr old girl to a 74 yr old man. They often use my rifles. I understand your points well. And we know all circumstances are different. I find it much less confusing to dial both windage and elevation and instruct to hold for a center reticle hold right where we want the bullet placed. I don't care for counting over one two or 3 lines or even having to hold between lines like a 1 1/2 or a 1 1/4 moa hold. That is where I see the problem. I feel it can get equally confusing, counting and holding in between lines, as dialing. I doubt you or I would have that problem but as you mentioned earlier a novice or in the heat of the moment errors could be made with either method. All this said, we take no fast shots for game. If adequate time is not allowed we pass and keep hunting. I even had the 13 yr old dry fire several times first. Results were a one shot elk kill at 601 yards from a rifle she had never shot.

I also understand your reasons for holding off in a timed competition. Being under the clock is much like buck fever and encourages error. A rushed shot on game induces pressure from both the clock and the buck fever. Thus the reason I make it clear to all when hunting there is no rush. If we don't get the shot we find another to shoot. Practice and adequate time to execute a long range shot is best, even if the practice is a only few dry fire rounds before the kill shot.

What I was eluding to with distances, a 1500 yard shot could easily have a wind hold to the side of a reticle. (talking practice here) For this where you may need a 6 plus moa windage hold. I would much rather dial windage here, like I do for all first round shots. Then if a follow up is needed hold off the small amount of correction and send it. In this instance as long as you spot your own shot what power you are on makes zero difference even with a SFP scope. If you viewed the miss to be one line left or right simply hold the correction one line left or right and send it. Reticle calibration has been eliminated so I do not need a FFP. This whole scenario would be much different at 500 yards where a simple 1 or 2 moa hold for wind would be much more doable. Thus my point that distance matters with method used.

I offer this not to debate. Rather to offer a method used by many that hunt long range. What we do was generated for hunting and used by some of the best long range hunters know to this sport. I post these examples so readers either novice or advanced can decide which method will work best for them whether it be competition or hunting.

Thanks for you reply.
Jeff

Copy that Jeff you make some great points. I have dialed wind a few times (crazy I know!) but that has been like you say for a brand new shooter. As you say it's much easier to instruct proper NPA and a smooth trigger squeeze when they don't have to worry about what those hash marks in the reticle mean.

Good chattin with ya.

Mike

gelton

WKR
Anyone have any idea of battery life for the illuminated reticle on the PST? I have always stayed away from illuminated reticle for hunting but like the EBR reticle better than the one offered in the HST.

What I wouldn't give to spend a weekend shooting with broz and sam. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Broz you have helped me a lot on longrangehunting.com. My handle there is coyotelite. I worked up some loads on your input and couldn't be happier with the results. I am planning on getting a 4-16 pst soon for my 300wby and may be in touch with you with some questions about dialing for elevation and windage effectivly if you dont mind.

Broz

WKR
What I wouldn't give to spend a weekend shooting with broz and sam. You guys are a wealth of knowledge. Broz you have helped me a lot on longrangehunting.com. My handle there is coyotelite. I worked up some loads on your input and couldn't be happier with the results. I am planning on getting a 4-16 pst soon for my 300wby and may be in touch with you with some questions about dialing for elevation and windage effectivly if you dont mind.

Thanks for the kind words. I am glad to be of help. Long range and accurate rifles are my passion. Contact me anytime.

Jeff

Broz

WKR
Anyone have any idea of battery life for the illuminated reticle on the PST? I have always stayed away from illuminated reticle for hunting but like the EBR reticle better than the one offered in the HST.

gelton, battery life should not be an issue. I have never had an illuminated reticle go down during use. But I have had batteries go dead from old age or setting while left on. Since you only use the illuminated reticle at night or in very low light areas I don't feel there is concern as long as you turn it off when not in use. That said I have many illuminated reticle scopes. Never use them unless shooting coyote at night or did once shooting glow sticks off steel targets at 1000 yards in the dark. That was fun.

Jeff