Can Am HD8 Max or Reg cab?

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some opinions. I'm in the market to buy a new can am sxs. I'm not sure if i want the max because it will seat 6 people just incase i want to use if for some jolly riding with the family or if i should stay with the 3 seater regular cab? I will only use this for hunting and riding around the house. I'm just not sure how mobile the Max will be in the woods. It looks like a big machine? I sold my Commander and really want to get another machine. Any thoughts on these Max getting around compared to the regular cab? thanks.

We have had both the regular 3 seater and the 6 seater and I much much prefer the 6. Even if you don’t seat people back there it’s nice to sit other items there that you don’t want banging around back in the bed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a ranger 1000 in May, I too debated on crew or not. I love the 3 seat version, on the trails we have the crew would be good, but once you get off the trails, it would definitely be a little longer than I want. I would also recommend test driving the Ranger compared to the can am, both are good machines, but you get more for the money with Polaris and I have not had a single issue with the ranger yet.

OP
O

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
Well after long and hard deliberation, I decided on the Defender XT. They both handle very well but I was just afraid of the size of the Max that I couldn't get it through the tight spots in the woods.

Reactions: AZ8

AZ8

WKR
I think you made a good choice! Although its still a big machine, compared to ATVs, it’s still pretty nimble. I’ve yet to get myself stuck in any tight trails I’ve gone down.

I love my HD8. You’ll have fun. Enjoy!

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think there is a wrong choice. I went back and forth, ended up with a HD8 Max. On tight trails it does feel a little big, but as long as I'm not flying it's been manageable. I also don't mind clipping bushes/tree limbs. The only real downside I've found is that the longer wheelbase gets me high center more often than I like. When it's time to buy new tires I plan on a small 2' lift and taller tires to help remedy that. Here's my goose/duck/deer/coyote setup!

Attachments

• CanAm.jpg
    CanAm.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

loadsandlattes

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly, this is probably the right answer. I can tell you that you won’t regret the extra seats.

Webb11

FNG
How did that can am work out for you... does this model come wigha small bed area? I have a x3 max and take it out hunting but I don't have much of a bed. Looking at buying a solo hunting unit

jlh42581

WKR
All HD models have a dump bed. I have an HD5 that we take everywhere ... buying a second machine(maverick sport) this winter. I dont even know if they make the 5 anymore, if they do im not sure what its called. Youd think its small but for hunting its perfect, its always had enough power. 800 with 6 people vs 500 with 3, normally only 2 adults.

I like my machine but if I was only gonna own one it wouldnt be the defender. Its built more for work then play. Riding on a bench seat gets old.

Webb11

FNG
All HD models have a dump bed. I have an HD5 that we take everywhere ... buying a second machine(maverick sport) this winter. I dont even know if they make the 5 anymore, if they do im not sure what its called. Youd think its small but for hunting its perfect, its always had enough power. 800 with 6 people vs 500 with 3, normally only 2 adults.

I like my machine but if I was only gonna own one it wouldnt be the defender. Its built more for work then play. Riding on a bench seat gets old.
Thanks for the input! I'll begin the research haha

OP
O

onetohunt

Lil-Rokslider
I had a commander before the i bought the defender. The commander is a sport machine and it for playing. It was ok for hunting but really more for playing. The defender is more of a work machine but really a nicer hunting rig as well. The bigger dump bed comes in very handy and the power is more than efficient as well! I did go with the 3 seater and to do it over again i might go with the 6 seater just to tool around more with the family? Either way, the defender meets and exceeds my expectation!!

sf jakey

Lil-Rokslider
Can anyone comment on the noise factor with the can am? I am considering selling my Honda pioneer 1000 5 seat and getting a defender, mainly for the bigger bed. I don’t use the back seats, and the Honda is a bit loud. I like the Kawasaki mule also, but I don’t think it will do very well once off the road. Can am hd8 seems to check the boxes for me, but noise will turn me away. Thx

AZ8

WKR
Can anyone comment on the noise factor with the can am? I am considering selling my Honda pioneer 1000 5 seat and getting a defender, mainly for the bigger bed. I don’t use the back seats, and the Honda is a bit loud. I like the Kawasaki mule also, but I don’t think it will do very well once off the road. Can am hd8 seems to check the boxes for me, but noise will turn me away. Thx
It’s really hard to compare one machine to the other since we all have different tolerances.

I can have a conversation with others in my HD8 without having having to yell. When I took my BIL and nephew out for their first ride they were surprised how quiet it was commenting on how we could carry on a conversation.

Is it Cadillac, Mercedes or Lexus interior cab quiet? Of course not. These are off road utility vehicles and this bodes to engine and outside noise. Its just what it is. I guess it depends on your tolerance.

I think my HD8 is fairly quiet, but that’s just my opinion. Best bet is for you to go ride in one and hear for yourself.

Good luck!