Can anyone make a recommendation for a large high quality pack cover ? I have a Kifaru Dall and am considering buying a Kifaru pack cover but it

mikekry

FNG
Can anyone make a recommendation for a large high quality pack cover ? I have a Kifaru Dall and am considering buying a Kifaru pack cover but it is quite expensive at $67 so I am open to other options.

Thanks.

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
I bought one off Amazon for like 11 or 12 buck. I won’t say high quality but it has worked for me for a few years and shows no sign of deterioration. Also keeps my pack dry as intended

OP
M

mikekry

FNG
I just bought a 130L pack from MIL-Tech on Amazon for less than $30 and Kifaru wanted almost $70 and would probably charged me $10 for shipping. I chose this item because it had good reviews and I liked the color.

black ovis has there's on sale once in a while on camofire.com - that is where i got mine for my 44 mag pack.

LukeHalli

FNG
I just bought a 130L pack from MIL-Tech on Amazon for less than $30 and Kifaru wanted almost $70 and would probably charged me $10 for shipping. I chose this item because it had good reviews and I liked the color.

Has it held up to the elements and lasted awhile?

madcalfe

WKR
any appropriate fitting pack cover will do. they will all get little tears after awhile. my stone glacier and kifaru one only made it 1 season before getting small tears.

Vaultman

WKR
I have a Kifaru one. I was somewhat disappointed in that it did not have a chord/strap to hook around and keep it from sliding off. (My hikers daypack has that strap, and it is what keeps it secure). Grant it, I have only tried the Kifaru one at home (to check fit on a full bag), so I do not know if it will slide around / slip off out in the field but I am pretty suspect.

Gone4Days

WKR
Which dry bags do you use? Do you think the extra weight with the drybags will be worth it compared to utilizing a quality rain cover?
I use nylofume bags. less than $3 a bag. Been using them backpacking for years.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
My wife made me one out of a light weight water proof fabric. It’s bright orange too which I like. Took her a couple hours with the sewing machine and material was like $10.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
I use nylofume bags. less than $3 a bag. Been using them backpacking for years.

sooo your saying screw it just rock a soaked water logged backpack and keep everything inside a dry bag :unsure: interesting
I was thinking the same thing. Nothing worse than getting a pack water logged then having it freeze. Its no fun to try and put on a pack in the morning that has froze to the ground in some wierd position and is darn near impossible to get anything in or out of due to the fabric being froze solid. But thats just me

Gone4Days

WKR
I was thinking the same thing. Nothing worse than getting a pack water logged then having it freeze. Its no fun to try and put on a pack in the morning that has froze to the ground in some wierd position and is darn near impossible to get anything in or out of due to the fabric being froze solid. But thats just me
Pack covers won’t keep the belt or shoulder straps dry. Your pack will also get soaked on the frame side touching your back. So to think a pack cover will keep your bag 100% dry is wishful thinking. Plus they shift and come off and get ripped up. At least a dry bag will 100% keep my sleeping bag and clothes bone dry. If it’s raining hard enough a cover isn’t going to keep your stuff dry. But that’s just me. It works for me and what I use.

Worst case scenario with a dry bag, my pack is soaked but my clothes and sleeping bag are dry. Worst case scenario with pack cover, my pack is wet and so are my clothes and sleeping bag.

Last edited:

Elkangle

WKR
I haven't used a pack cover in awhile, cubin dry sacks...then try not to buy packs that soak up crazy amounts of water

If your hell bent on a pack cover then check out mystery ranches one with the hood....would be the only one I'd remotely consider

madcalfe

WKR
Pack covers won’t keep the belt or shoulder straps dry. Your pack will also get soaked on the frame side touching your back. So to think a pack cover will keep your bag 100% dry is wishful thinking. Plus they shift and come off and get ripped up. At least a dry bag will 100% keep my sleeping bag and clothes bone dry. If it’s raining hard enough a cover isn’t going to keep your stuff dry. But that’s just me. It works for me and what I use.

Worst case scenario with a dry bag, my pack is soaked but my clothes and sleeping bag are dry. Worst case scenario with pack cover, my pack is wet and so are my clothes and sleeping bag.
LOL ok your not following.... you ever think to use multiple dry bags inside your back pack for stuff like you've mentioned.... then when it rains you put the rain cover over to protect your backpack from getting wet. and yea i realize shoulder straps, hip belt still gets wet but the actual bag stays dry. whoever does any sort of serious backcountry hunting should know to put all their gear in dry bags inside your backpack regardless and another nice thing about rain covers you can leave your backpack outside the tent vestibule while its pissing rain. I've done it many times on multiple sheep hunts and have never woken up to a wet backpack.