Can anything beat a Razor HD spotter for the price??

Vandy321

WKR
I can buy the new version of the Razor HD 27-60 x 85 Angled Spotter for $1200. BNIB

I know vortex spotters are known for a great quality for the price. Can anything beat it in terms of glass quality for price range?

Only glass I have access too in person to look through is Vortex and Swaro...

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
The new razor that looks like the swaro or older version that resembles the kowa? There is a noticable difference in glass quality between the two versions of the razor

I prefer the Cabela's Krotos to my razor. It can be had for a good price.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Banned
OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
I just took them outside at Bass Pro and am not extremely impressed. I think I'll drop down to 65mm in the swaro and pay the difference.

I will say, the posts I've seen claiming there is no noticable difference in the swaro/vortex glass is incorrect, as far as my eyes can see. Swaro was Markedly brighter in the 65 than the Razor in 85. Not to mention, easier to pack.

Thanks all for the replies. I drove to give them a 2nd look before buying based on the other suggestions.

I will not own another vortex anything. To my eyes they are just not crystal clear. Too to bottom in the vortex lineup my eyes don’t like something with their optics.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I will not own another vortex anything. To my eyes they are just not crystal clear. Too to bottom in the vortex lineup my eyes don’t like something with their optics.
I have heard this from more and more people. Not sure if they changed anything with there lenses/glass. Also other companies seem to have stepped up and there are more options in the vortex lineups price points. Way more options in low to mid priced optics, so something for everyone’s eyes.

I will say, the posts I've seen claiming there is no noticable difference in the swaro/vortex glass is incorrect, as far as my eyes can see.

There’s definitely some variability in Vortex glass, over time and from spotter to spotter. I’ve looked through some that honestly impressed me, and then looked through some that made me wonder why anyone liked them.

BluMtn

WKR
I was a Vortex Choir boy when they first came out. Had one of the first Razor 12x50s shipped and ended up with several of their scopes along with their big spotter. Got into a pissing match over their warranty and told them to pound sand. Sold it all and now I use 12x50EL Swaro binos and have a Kowa spotter and sig-sauer scopes. They did me a great favor because I really like my optics now. The Vortex's were ok but once you go alfa you never look back.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
Many also say the cabelas instinct binos (meopta meostar) are comparable to Swaro SLC glass...not the case to my eyes.

I almost purchased the Cabelas Instinct HD sight unseen a while back, glad I didnt after putting them side by side the SLC.

I would be interested in seeing the S2 though, as a step between the Razor and the X model Swaros. But have never seen one for sale locally or at the range to put eyes on.

OP
V

Vandy321

WKR
On that note. The S2 seems to at least be on par with Leica and Ziess glass, if you believe the internet. But for not much more than the Razor HD, it may be worth a look.

Also, for you mil folks, I've read Meopta offers a mil discount on par with Vortex, may he worth a shot.

Stingray

Lil-Rokslider
Meopta offers a military discount and on bird forums (serious spotter aficionados) rate both Meopta scopes very highly.

eoperator

WKR
If you are looking for mid grade optics. Buy the razor and an Athlon ares or cronus and send back the one you don't like (razor😀).

Broomd

WKR
You get what you pay for.
Razor, Meopta and others are good glass, but they aren't alpha glass.

As long as alpha glass (Swarovski, Leica and Zeiss) is out there with pre-owned pricing, I know what I'll buy. And that glass can be handed down to your son or daughter with 'heirloom glass' pride.

I was a Vortex Choir boy when they first came out. Had one of the first Razor 12x50s shipped and ended up with several of their scopes along with their big spotter. Got into a pissing match over their warranty and told them to pound sand. Sold it all and now I use 12x50EL Swaro binos and have a Kowa spotter and sig-sauer scopes. They did me a great favor because I really like my optics now. The Vortex's were ok but once you go alfa you never look back.

I am curious as to what the warranty issue was? I thought they would warranty anything? Would you care to explain and share your experience with the Vortex warranty?