Can I Sell A Long Gun In Person If I Live in SC and They're in NC?

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I live in South Carolina and I have a shotgun listed that a guy in North Carolina is interested in. If he is allowed to own firearms in NC is there a scenario where we could have a face to face sale in either State?

Yes sir...F2F sale of long guns is legal in both states, double check NC law the state is turning blue, with Yankee transplants. Been a few years since I have done it.

OP
SteveCNJ

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm wondering if the sale is only legal for selling to someone who is a resident of the same State.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
From my reading of NC 14-409.10. "Purchase of rifles and shotguns out of State" I would guess that if the person has a valid CCW (which satisfies the background check requirement) you should be good. If they don't, you need an FFL involved to get a background check. I would have him come to SC so he is purchasing "out of state" as the law (and SC's equivalent) cover purchases out of state, but say nothing about an out of state seller.

I'm not a lawyer, that is a lay persons interpretation and not legal advice. Honestly, I would avoid the risk and just involve an FFL as it is cheap compared to legal fees (even if you win).

davsco

WKR
don't think you can do firearms FTF unless both parties live in same state.