Can I unfreeze then refreeze elk meat?

dmozer74

FNG
I ran out of time last fall to wrap individual packages of stew meat into one pound packs. So I put about 7 pounds into gallon ziplock bags. Can I thaw those large bags, rewrap them in the one pound packages and refreeze them without hurting the meat?

fmyth

WKR
Sure you can. I killed a cow and a bull in Nov. I quartered them out and froze them. Thawed them out one quarter at a time and cut it up. Packaged the steaks, roasts and froze all of the scrap. When I was done with all quarters I thawed the scraps and sorted out the nicest pieces for stew meat then ground the rest. It all tastes great even though some of it was thawed and frozen two or three times.

OP
D

dmozer74

FNG
Sure you can. I killed a cow and a bull in Nov. I quartered them out and froze them. Thawed them out one quarter at a time and cut it up. Packaged the steaks, roasts and froze all of the scrap. When I was done with all quarters I thawed the scraps and sorted out the nicest pieces for stew meat then ground the rest. It all tastes great even though some of it was thawed and frozen two or three times.
Awesome. Gives me some comfort. It’s such good meat I hate to damage it.

kevin11mee

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, and it's actually a method of aging meet according to Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. Thaw until ice crystals are seen, then refreeze.

Yes, for stew meat I just thaw enough to get a sharp knife through. Toss in 1lbs bags and reseal.

Do the same when I grind as the meat stays cold and so does the grinder. Which I need to do soon. Burger is gone

I do with whitetail. I debone everything but the shoulders and neck and put the meat in 2.5 gallon ziplocs. When I get home I put it in the freezer. When I have a free weekend I thaw enough to cut it up and do whatever processing I am doing And refreeze it. I cook down the shoulders and make bbq or taco meat in portioned out vacpack bags. Neck roasts I cook osso bucco style. Next year I might tackle shanks. Bottom line is yes you can refreeze but I would imagine the fewer times the better.

banebc

FNG
I almost always make 5lb vacuum sealed bags of cubed meat for all my grind, freeze for any given amount of time, then thaw when I am ready to grind burger, sausage, or anything else. Then I re-freeze until ready to consume. Never had an issue, helps with the grinding process too when it’s not completely thawed and is still a little frozen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cburgin72

Lil-Rokslider
I've done it with antelope. I just trimmed some of the edges that turned kind of a brownish color from the process. It made for good dog treats.