Can my pack strap be fixed?

Back in September after I packed my bull out I noticed my shoulder strap on my pack got slightly cut/frayed somehow, I have no idea how it happened. Didn’t think much about it until after helping a friend pack his bull out in November it ripped more. It’s cut about a 1/4 now. I’m trying to decide if I should try to get this fixed or if anyone has an at home repair or just get a new one. I don’t want to to have it break on me in an inconvenient area. Iv never had any issues with the pack in the 4-5 years Iv had it. And I contacted the company but have not heard anything from them so I figured I’d try here.
b2777662312a29c2f492631be4b94756.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlgc20

WKR
I’ve duct taped straps with those types of frays and that usually keeps it from getting worse. More than likely it would never be an issue. Having said that, given that it’s January and you have a while before the season, I would follow up with the manufacturer and try and get it repaired. Just to be 100% certain.

I’m assuming that part of the strap doesn’t have to feed through the buckle in your normal use. If that frayed section is in an area where you would need to be moving through the buckle with regularity, then definitely just get it repaired.

sndmn11

WKR
That's an easy fix on your own if the company won't. Ask them to send you a length of that webbing, if not, source one, yourself. Then cut the strap off overlap the old and new a few inches and fold over once so it is like two J interconnected, then sew.

WCB

WKR
melt as said and carry on. I have a strap on my pack that is almost half way through and been that way for two years...never notice without looking,

manitou1

WKR
I would definitely try to identify what is causing the issue. Is it a slung rifle? A buckle rubbing?

OP
P
Thank you, never thought about trying to burn it, doing that tomorrow night

You could buy an awl from harbor freight and stitch up that side.
I fixed up a mil surplus pack effectively with one and it was were the webbing attached

If it get worse and you can’t fix it, look up outdoor gear repair near you. If not that, Native Textile and Pods 8 can fix it.

Marble

WKR
If the manufacturer won't help then...

If the strap will not be adjusted into that spot, you could possibly have a seamstress fold the strap over itself and stich it together. Sometimes a regular seamstress will not be able to fix it because the material is so thick their needles and machines can't do it without causing damage to them. Another place to check is a place that does canvas repair in your area.

I have a few straps with some pretty good wear on them. But they have never ripped because they are kifaru so it it's indestructible.... im just messing with you.

Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

djlr55

WKR
Assuming it’s 1 inch MIL-W-17337 nylon, it has a break strength of 1200lbs.

A guesstimate as to how much is compromised would probably get you close to the answer to replace or not.

Last edited: