Can someone help me decide between Garmin inreach exlplorer+ and se+

skierhs

WKR
Honestly, I would either go for the mini or the 66i. I figure it makes sense to have the mini if you want something small or if you want something bigger, then have the extra capability as a stand alone GPS for a backup.
Don’t those both have a worse battery life though?

rob86jeep

WKR
Don’t those both have a worse battery life though?
Probably, but unless you keep it on 24/7 and have active tracking on for a week + then I doubt you'll exhaust the battery during the trip. If you do plan to use it heavily though and want some reassurance, you'll probably already have a portable charger for your cell phone anyways so I don't think it's necessarily an issue. That's just me though.

come2elmo

WKR
I run the se+ and a phone. 90% of the time I use the phone stand alone and the se as a comm/sos device when necessary and a backup gps if my phone loses its mind or Dies in the cold. both Have happened. The mini is nice and small but hard to use stand alone To send messages. Explorer + at the time too damn pricy to justify. SE+ is just missing the fancy map layers I don’t need or want and was just 200 bucks on sale at Costco. As a gps device no layers makes it last ditch really or a really fancy compass as it will point you the way home but you have no clue what is between you and home. Could be a highway or an ocean. Granted if you don’t know that already. Well. The sos feature might be your best option of all.

Honestly, I would either go for the mini or the 66i. I figure it makes sense to have the mini if you want something small or if you want something bigger, then have the extra capability as a stand alone GPS for a backup.

I think you are right. If I had known about the 66i I would have purchased it instead of the explorer+.

Shraggs

WKR
I run the older original SE w/o gps. Did not like the gps features at all. Now that garmin bought them I’m sure it’s better. I continued to run a separate garmin gps 64st, which I can use with gloves on. I do carry my phone, but it’s for pics or texting if in cell range. I’ve dabbled with the phone as gps, but I find finicky, no confidence in battery especially when cold. Yes, bring portable power but adds weight. The onyx phone graphics are impressive tho.

The 64st is my main tool and I like it and am comfortable with it. The SE is for emergency and texting home. Phone is camera. It’s a few ounces more, maybe, and a little old school but I have hi confidence with it all.

I use a regular Garmin GPS and onXmaps on the phone so I went with the SE. the screen on the plus is so small that I wouldn’t really want it as my GPS unit anyway. Also I don’t want to use the battery in my Inreach regularly. It’s for texting home, texting my elk hunting partner miles away in the mountains, and SOS only. I prefer to have a separate tool designed specifically for navigation. My Garmin Montana gps has lots of really nice features too that just can’t be replaced by an Inreach.

BassAssassin04

Lil-Rokslider
I recently upgraded my explore+ to a GPS 66i. Only downside is battery life, but I can use an OnX card in it and won't have to worry about using my phone. I didn't like the reliability of OnX on my phone when I don't have cellular data. Seems like the app keep crashing or freezing every time I wanted to use it.

gexpro

WKR
I had the Inreach explore+, ended up selling it because the topo map is pretty much useless.
In the end of the day i purchased the Ineach mini and will bluetooth to my phone when out in the field. as well as use garmin basecamp via phone for way points or pin drops. Garmin has a long way to go in my opinion for me to want to budge away from google earth / on x maps for my main usage of mapping or terrain scouting.

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
FYI REI is having a big sale on the explorer + for their anniversary sale

Thanks for all thoughts