Can someone help me decide between Garmin inreach exlplorer+ and se+

Joe5000

FNG
Hello, I want an inreach for safety reasons in out of cellular areas. My primary reason is to text or SOS (God willing never need it), I also want to use it as a GPS/navigation to get back to my truck. I think my primary GPS will be my iphone. Full disclosure I have never been camping in a area multiple days without cell coverage or electricity. I have never run GPS off my phone for a prolonged period. I am buying this inreach for this trip (and hopefully future trips). Any thoughts if I need the explorer+ or se+? I am seeing 125 dollar difference in the units and looks like the only real benefits of the explorer+ are better maps? Thanks in advance

skierhs

WKR
Go with the plus. It’s a little extra cost but no downside to weight or size. I have a older version of the inreach which doesn’t have the map layers like the new one and the upgrade would be worth it. I have had a couple connectivity issues with the older version when I would walk away from it a decent distance so the added feature would be nice.

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
Go with the plus. It’s a little extra cost but no downside to weight or size. I have a older version of the inreach which doesn’t have the map layers like the new one and the upgrade would be worth it. I have had a couple connectivity issues with the older version when I would walk away from it a decent distance so the added feature would be nice.
thanks do you typically use your phone for maps?

skierhs

WKR
thanks do you typically use your phone for maps?
It depends. I hunt a lot of different areas and have started trying out onX the last few months compared to the Earthmate map. I have Had good luck with each. The online version google has for their computer is really nice. OnX seems to be a more refined mobile app though. So I still use both but am leaning towards OnX but I have to download the maps for a lot of my areas.

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG

Probably a dumb question, but does the GPS on an iphone run on the same system as the GPS on an inreach? Basically i am asking, at least in theory, whenever I have a GPS signal on my inreach map, should I also be getting a GPS signal on my iphone? THanks

Wait and buy one used here on the rokslide classified board...you'll save money and have the communication solution you want. The model won't matter.

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
good advice. But do you know about my gps network question? is iphone gps the same connection you will get on a garmin?

Kerbs

FNG
I bought the plus and use it for both flying and hunting. I have been pretty happy with it and the support seems to be getting better from Garmin as time goes on. When I hunt without service, I leave the phone at home. No reason to carry more crap that doesn't work with me.

skierhs

WKR
good advice. But do you know about my gps network question? is iphone gps the same connection you will get on a garmin?
Possibly, I don’t know what phone you use. GPS is a system of satellites that function together. There is also Glonass and Galileo which do a very similar thing with data lite positioning. I know the garmin uses gps but they may also include other ones to be more accurate and work better around the world as each network has stronger sections across the world. I have one garmin that uses all three and is extremely accurate for positioning but useless for most “normal applications”. Your phone may be more or less accurate but I also carry the thing primary for the messaging and sos feature since I hunt some very remote areas.

Probably a dumb question, but does the GPS on an iphone run on the same system as the GPS on an inreach? Basically i am asking, at least in theory, whenever I have a GPS signal on my inreach map, should I also be getting a GPS signal on my iphone? THanks

Inreach accesses the 86-satellite Iridium grid for two way coms, which the iPhone does not. In theory iridium satellites can be used to augment navigation, but I don't know if the Garmin unit does use them for that. I'll keep checking. But iPhone can access GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo satellite constellations for navigation. Inreach only uses GPS satellites for navigation as far as I can tell so far.

So Almost any modern phone is a MUCH better nav tool. But that's not the purpose of the inreach. The inreach is your emergency Locator Beacon and your two way communication tool. I would carry an extra phone if you want backup navigation. Many very inexpensive modern phones have fantastic navigation offline. Remember download some maps and GPS works completely offline on these phones, minimizing battery burn rate.

Last edited:
OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
Inreach accesses the 86-satellite Iridium grid for two way coms, which the iPhone does not. In theory iridium satellites can be used to augment navigation, but I don't know if the Garmin unit does use them for that. I'll keep checking. But iPhone can access GPS, GLONASS, and Galileo satellite constellations for navigation. Inreach only uses GPS satellites for navigation as far as I can tell so far.

So Almost any modern phone is a MUCH better nav tool. But that's not the purpose of the inreach. The inreach is your emergency Locator Beacon and your two way communication tool. I would carry an extra phone if you want backup navigation. Many very inexpensive modern phones have fantastic navigation offline. Remember download some maps and GPS works completely offline on these phones, minimizing battery burn rate.

Very helpful thanks!

OP
J

Joe5000

FNG
Isn't this a reason to go with the mini? that is where my mind is at on this same question.

It seems like the SE+ is about the same price, has at least an option for nav on the unit and more battery. If space isnt a concern then I am thinking SE+ better then mini but I dont have one yet..

Apollo117

WKR
Isn't this a reason to go with the mini? that is where my mind is at on this same question.
Depends on how long the trip is and how often the device is used. The Mini doesn't have a large battery. However, if you're already packing an external battery to charge devices, then the Mini saves some weight. At least that's my reasoning.

skierhs

WKR
The garmin is essentially waterproof and a phone is not. Depending on where you hunt that could make a big difference as well.

The S5 and later Galaxy phones are waterproof, totally submerged for 30 minutes.

One great thing about the big Garmin is the TFT screen. The brighter the day the brighter the screen. That is one of the reasons you can get such long battery life, and oh so readable in direct sunlight. Been missing that since I gave up my Palm Pilot.

rob86jeep

WKR
Honestly, I would either go for the mini or the 66i. I figure it makes sense to have the mini if you want something small or if you want something bigger, then have the extra capability as a stand alone GPS for a backup.