Can the Garmin Alpha 200i work without the second antenna?

I need to replace my older model Garmin with a new one. I am getting a new upland pup this spring and really like the Garmin Alpha 200 series. However, I also need a General GPS for hunting, hiking, and non-dog related stuff.

I am wondering if anyone has used the Alpha 200i without the second short "whip" antenna without losing any functionality outside of the connection to the collar. I'm trying to see if it can do double duty as just a GPS/SATCOM Device when I don't need the collar functions. It seems to have everything that the 66i (my 1st choice for a non-dog/training unit) would have. I do like a SATCOM (inReach) option for some of the stuff that I do with the kids, but don't really need it for my upland hunting. Thought I would put it out here to try to get some real world experience before I called Garmin. Thanks.

I believe it will work without the whip. I haven't tried it yet, but i think you're correct in your assessment that the whip is for the collar controls

GotDraw?

WKR
@Rocketman7

Not familiar with that unit, but if that is an antenna for transmission that you plan to remove you must NEVER accidently send a signal w/o the antenna connected or you risk killing your transmitter w/o having the load of the antenna connected.

You may be able to replace the antenna with a short 1-2" tall "dummy load" to prevent this. I would call Garmin's tech support line, they are excellent. Tell them what you want to do and ask them what resistance the dummy load should have- then look online for one.

BTW- Rocketman, I sell satellites for a living, your call sign amuses me.

JL

Last edited:

revoked

FNG
Yes, the whip antenna is for the UHF to communicate with the collar, so you should be good to go. I've got one handy (great upgrade over the 100) if you have any other questions.

I need to replace my older model Garmin with a new one. I am getting a new upland pup this spring and really like the Garmin Alpha 200 series. However, I also need a General GPS for hunting, hiking, and non-dog related stuff.

I am wondering if anyone has used the Alpha 200i without the second short "whip" antenna without losing any functionality outside of the connection to the collar. I'm trying to see if it can do double duty as just a GPS/SATCOM Device when I don't need the collar functions. It seems to have everything that the 66i (my 1st choice for a non-dog/training unit) would have. I do like a SATCOM (inReach) option for some of the stuff that I do with the kids, but don't really need it for my upland hunting. Thought I would put it out here to try to get some real world experience before I called Garmin. Thanks.
Just used it for spring bear without the second antenna, no issues.