Can The Slow Play Be Used As ????

ElkNut1

WKR
I've received a bunch of Emails, PM'S & Phone Calls asking if the Slow Play Sequence can be used in a Cold Calling Setup? The answer is yes! Just be aware it's tailored to call in bulls & not cows because 90% of your sounds/raking are bull sounds. So if you're a hunter looking to shoot Any Elk you will want to adjust your calling to a regular Cold Calling Sequence where 90% of your sounds are Cow Chatter! This is if you're basically hunting elk that are mostly quiet!

Both Techniques are on the Mobile App.

ElkNut/Paul

FYT

Lil-Rokslider
Haha I quite literally just listened to you talking about this very thing on the Exo backcountry podcast.

Definitely recommend that pod for anyone on here- they’re doing “Elk week” and have Paul, Corey J, and a few other accomplished hunters discussing a different topic each day. It’s especially relevant for archery hunters. I’m still a rifle only hunter myself (goal is to be dialed enough with my bow to start next year) so some parts are a bit less relevant for me but I’m still picking up some good tidbits.

Well done, Paul.

I've heard an elk bugle during rifle season in Idaho, so I'm hoping to use calling to assist in locating elk near Oct 15. The slow play sounds are on the top of the list of what to practice!

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
FYT, thank you sir, I appreciate your comments!

jonny, yes sir, locating bulls is generally all that's needed when calling or glassing with a rifle in tote! Not sure you may need the Slow Play but you never know! Give it a try & let us know how it goes in Oct. bud! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

Westy

FNG
Got the podcasts and app videos downloaded for our 26 hour drive to CO. Love the enthusiasm in all your media Paul!

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
I once called in a nice Bull clearing branch's off a Spruce log to sit down after I finished a short hike.

I was actually Moose hunting at the time.

It was pretty windy but I thought I heard a Cow moose call right after I broke the branches.

I had a water and a couple granola bars....the next thing I know I hear a short bugle and look up to see the Elk 50 yards away lol....

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Corey, I hear ya bud! I've had guys gathering a bit of firewood which included breaking dry branches of trees while out elk hunting because it was super cold with little elk action & next thing you know there's a bull standing there like he was dropped from a helicopter! (grin) This is why Raking is such an effective part of elk hunting & the Slow Play! Key to Raking is understanding the different reasons bull will use it, it can really up our Elk Game!

ElkNut/Paul

Been listening to elk week on the backcountry podcast, good stuff Paul...saves the best for last! Bought your app, really helping me out. going to MT in 3 weeks for my first trip out west. Appreciate the knowledge you share sir, hoping to put it to good use.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
I once called in a nice Bull clearing branch's off a Spruce log to sit down after I finished a short hike.

I was actually Moose hunting at the time.

It was pretty windy but I thought I heard a Cow moose call right after I broke the branches.

I had a water and a couple granola bars....the next thing I know I hear a short bugle and look up to see the Elk 50 yards away lol....

hike, break some branches, sit down and open food and drinks, knock an arrow. got it! that's my kind of calling sequence...lol

as always, good info Paul. thanks

jonny, yes sir, locating bulls is generally all that's needed when calling or glassing with a rifle in tote! Not sure you may need the Slow Play but you never know! Give it a try & let us know how it goes in Oct. bud! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

My reasoning, based on small amount of experience, is that elk feed at night and move to/from bedding in the morning and evening. Majority of the time, especially in Oct, the bulls will be in sanctuary held up in some nasty thick timber. I guess if I can locate their bed and know a bull is there, I can sit and wait 100+ yards watching his potential exit areas.

I have only been elk hunting 4 total times, 2 were archery. To me, it is amazing how easy it is to find deer/elk during archery and how much they turn into ghosts during rifle season. The exception to that rule for deer/elk is after weather/storm moves through.

If you have any other rifle elk tips, aside from patience, I would appreciate it.

Jqualls

Lil-Rokslider
hike, break some branches, sit down and open food and drinks, knock an arrow. got it! that's my kind of calling sequence...lol

as always, good info Paul. thanks

If you knock an arrow nothing will come in. Last year I knocked an arrow about every time I sat down. One time I took a seat right out in the open of a huge slope waiting to meet up with my brother and thought no way is anything going to walk out into this huge clearing mid day. Sure enough 4 cows and a small bull walk right up to about 30 yds. I saw the cow about the time she saw me. We had a short stare down as I tried to slowly get things organized but they blew with no chance at them.

Luziana Feller

Lil-Rokslider
If you knock an arrow nothing will come in. Last year I knocked an arrow about every time I sat down. One time I took a seat right out in the open of a huge slope waiting to meet up with my brother and thought no way is anything going to walk out into this huge clearing mid day. Sure enough 4 cows and a small bull walk right up to about 30 yds. I saw the cow about the time she saw me. We had a short stare down as I tried to slowly get things organized but they blew with no chance at them.
she must not have liked how you styled your face paint that morning. it's a real art you know...

man, that's about the way it goes. a mentor used to always tell me "expect a train on any track at any time".

corey006

Lil-Rokslider
Props to ElkNut, I did alot more Bugling this year and I called in alot more Elk. The rut was just starting and the key seemed to be creating the illusion that a small Bull had an Estrus cow.....I never had to use bugle with chuckles, just a location bugle ,only problem was the BIG bulls weren't moving until last 30 minutes of legal light.

I only called 1 nice Bull in morning he came from opposite direction I expected, stopped at 80 yards. Sniffed the air 3 times looked around, sniffed again , looked around, sniffed again looked around and then left....

I did get 2 shot opportunitys, I missed one low and missed one high....I think I dropped my bow arm while shooting out of treestand instead of bending at the waist....other shot was simply a range problem.

Anyways I didn't get a Archery Bull but had alot of action, watched a Black Bear chase a spike bull, ran into a Sow and 2 cubs 10 ft away.

I had 5 Bears in my area and big Wolf pack....so they didn't help much either.