Can you all recommend a fishing face mask for sun protection?

boom

WKR
Not for Covid. I’ve been fishing a lot. I wear a BUFFS face mask but it’s okay. Any fishing dedicated ones? My dermatologist admonished me big time. I need to take her seriously.

any recommendations? The waters are so muddy now? With everyone buying face covers.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Columbia PFG one. I think its UPF 50, but could be wrong.

Rich M

WKR
I can't stand them. Wish could.

I wear a huge hat, long sleeves, gloves, and sometimes gator. Don't like the feel of the face coveting tho.

AKG

FNG
I have an older HUK neck gaiter, it's just a tube of some type of stretch fabric. It works fine if just worn around my neck, but crushes my nose if if try to pull it up further when I feel my face burning.

Wapiti1

WKR
Salt armor is what I have and it works well. Not much different than any other option for a buff.

Jeremy

mwebs

WKR
Seems like everyone that fly fishes is now allergic to the sun, when did that happen? I get it if you have issues and your doctor is giving you advice, but it seems like you can only be a fishing bro now if your covered head to toe and have double buffs on, a sun hood, hat and polarized pit vipers. It's getting more ridiculous each time I hit the water, just wear something that shades your face and sun screen or a buff.

Vandy321

WKR
Simms

Seems like everyone that fly fishes is now allergic to the sun, when did that happen? I get it if you have issues and your doctor is giving you advice, but it seems like you can only be a fishing bro now if your covered head to toe and have double buffs on, a sun hood, hat and polarized pit vipers. It's getting more ridiculous each time I hit the water, just wear something that shades your face and sun screen or a buff.

Maybe ask yourself why other people wearing sun protection bothers you. Wear what you want, don't worry about others. Not to mention you live in Idaho. Go fish the flats in the bahamas or pole around in FL for a year and skip the sun protection and tell us what your doctor says.

Last edited:
OP
B

boom

WKR
i appreciate the comment. i truly do. cancer took out every male in my family except my brother and i and a few cousins. my family is cancer's personal playground. my doctor gave me very clear warnings.

i dont love sunscreen.

Vandy321

WKR
thanks. very difficult to find right now.

last night in the shower, i noted my hands are DARK!! dark dark. goot idea with the gloves. i didnt consider gloves!!

Screenshot_20200602-114952_Chrome.jpg

Same solarflex name for the face shield...

OP
B

boom

WKR
thanks VANDY!! the guy mentioned "fly fishing"..i searched a few fly shops and got them ordered!!

i called my local fishing store. he said the hole in the palm of the Simms gloves is a nice option.

mwebs

WKR
Simms

Maybe ask yourself why other people wearing sun protection bothers you. Wear what you want, don't worry about others. Not to mention you live in Idaho. Go fish the flats in the bahamas or pole around in FL for a year and skip the sun protection and tell us what your doctor says.

Doesn't bother me, do whatever you want, sorry I called out your fishing outfit. My point was it has become a who can have the coolest sun protection kit thing at this point, not a I am trying to prevent skin cancer thing. If your not holding a fish out at arms length, while wearing a buff, baklava, hood, wide brim and pit vipers, then why are you even fishing.

Fished in FL two different times for Reds, Snook, Trout, etc. I wore the same stuff I do on the rivers in ID.