Can you get Antelope tags OTC anywhere?

roknHS

FNG
Idaho has OTC archery. Also, some of the units in Wyoming will have tags left over from the drawing that can be purchased on-line and in some cases on site (if they haven't already sold). These Wyoming units generally don't have much public land to hunt but may have walk-in areas.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Any areas/states better for successful archery hunts? Need a target-rich environment with some terrain that's not flat and devoid of vegetation that would allow me to stalk close. This would be tough with a bow. Any tips on specific zones that you might draw without points would be helpful...but not some place lacking access.

IMG_4524.JPG

"with some terrain that's not flat and devoid of vegetation that would allow me to stalk close."

You just described Pronghorn country.

FYI, Idaho does NOT have OTC Archery tags for Pronghorn, you must apply. They are "Unlimited" and one in particular has a TON of units to hunt in.

Fun stuff, be prepared to go home empty handed if spot and stalk with a bow is your goal/method. Water would be easy(er), but that's no fun.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
I haven't ever hunted speed goats but while in the Kiabab I was able to put a sneak on one to within 28 yards but the unit (Unit 8) doesn't offer antelope tags. I spotted him from the truck and was able to to approach below him and when I finally reached the crest of the hill, there he was standing broadside like a 3D target. <g>

Good stalk, but things like that happen all the time when you can't shoot them. Finding them in terrain that allows you to get close is the key, such as the stalk you described, him being just over the crest of a hill.

• Banned
OP
Where's Bruce?
Good stalk, but things like that happen all the time when you can't shoot them. Finding them in terrain that allows you to get close is the key, such as the stalk you described, him being just over the crest of a hill.

Exactly why I am asking where these areas are...I don't wanna hide behind a horse or sit in a blind on a hole hoping thery come by. Spot & stalk is my thing.

Bownut400

FNG
Idaho unit 46 unlimited draw hunt plenty of sage brush to stalk behind and not much water. If 100 degree weather that time of year doesn't scare you then it's a good unit for you. Unit 42 is probably better but lots of people.

KHNC

WKR
NW Nebraska as OTC archery tags and plenty of big goats. More and more people each year hunting the public ground tho. I have a friend with 10000 acre ranch that does a few guided hunts for 1500 or so. PM me if interested and ill get you his number. Rut is last week of Sept or thereabouts.

Exactly why I am asking where these areas are...I don't wanna hide behind a horse or sit in a blind on a hole hoping thery come by. Spot & stalk is my thing.

Bruce, most all pronghorn country is flat, short grass, sage pockets, etc... What I meant by finding them in terrain that allows a stalk is that you will have to seek out that terrain on basically all spot and stalk pronghorn hunts.

46 in Idaho would be fun, it's huge, but after spending a considerable amount of time in the unit I can't say I have seen many Pronghorn. That said, the ones I have seen were very respectable bucks. Far less people in that unit as well, decent road access.

21A in Idaho would be the tag I'd want and the one I've hunted in the pass. Both with success (spot and stalk) and a whole bunch of humble pie! Archery only, and by last count I believe there were nearly 17 units listed that you could hunt. Plenty of pronghorn to hunt as well.

OP
Where's Bruce?
NW Nebraska as OTC archery tags and plenty of big goats. More and more people each year hunting the public ground tho. I have a friend with 10000 acre ranch that does a few guided hunts for 1500 or so. PM me if interested and ill get you his number. Rut is last week of Sept or thereabouts.

PM sent.

I grew up in Idaho. Hunted archery every year then in 46 mostly. It had decent numbers but not many.
If u want to hunt antelope just do some research and go to Wyoming. The numbers are down but still lots to stalk in every unit.

TEmbry

WKR
Leftover WY units are doable with the bow.... VERY frustrating with checkerboard public access but still doable if you give yourselves a week. You couldn't PAY me to go back during rifle season though.

Any particular units for over the counter in Colorado? Any opportunities for OTC Mule Deer in CO? I have family on the southern border. Appreciate any info. I’ll also be on the stalking side of life. 👍
No, only leftover tags. If you have access to private you have ‘draw’ but it’s essentially guaranteed to my knowledge.

My family is down in unit 84 in CO. Looks like it’s 79% private land. They have 35 acres and some huge Mule deer in their back yard 🤣 Of course! I think Montana has otc tags only for archery. Don’t quote me on that. I’ve been reading the wildlife pages for a few states and they are confusing for sure. I will try and get more info and check back in with you on Montana. Nebraska I’m hearing is the easiest place to otc archery for goats, but it is getting busy on the public ground.