Can you outrun a bear?

OP
BigHunterification
That’s one big locomotive that never ran out of steam. Would have never thought it had such endurance for such a massive animal. How far do you think he was at “full tilt” before bringing it down?
I am not sure but he had chased the caribou for at least on the face of a ridge before I was able to get the camera out of my pack and on him.

Catchfish

WKR
I knew a guy in college who was on the X-country team grew up in Valdez understood living around bears was out for a run and turned and saw a bear running behind him. Instinct took over he said he just tried to run faster. Bear bit him right on the ARSE and let it go just as a taste test. He had a number of puncture wounds, and scratched from when he fell.

jmez

WKR
Since a Grizz can run up to 35MPH and goes from zero to fast after the first bound...... I'm looking/hoping for a tree!

Great footage. Thanks especially for no annoying music!
And Usain Bolt hit 27.5 briefly during a world record run. Good luck with that!

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

That is terrifying. A locomotive with teeth and claws. As they say you just have to be faster than the slowest guy in camp. I always hunt with my son who is way faster than me. But now we’ve added my brother who I think is slower ... but you can’t leave your brother...

wanted hunting partner to round out foursome for barren ground caribou hunt. Applicants weighing 300 plus with bad knees preferred.

Last edited:
My 19 year old nephew is one of those Spartan race athletes and he’s quite the animal. the other night he speculated that he thought he could outrun a cougar. We all had a good laugh at his expense.

Trial153

WKR
Depends on the Bear. For example, one of those sleek northwest Idaho bear that hasn't seen flat ground since it left sows womb, and lives off eating rocks for fun. No way. This lard ass is toast.

But a big fat bird seed eating beast in NJ sucking down 20 pounds of sun flower seeds every day and getting belly rubs from hot spandex clad soccer moms....I got a 50/50 chance of making it..

Seen them run down moose calves several times from the dining room. Amazing animals but watching them kill puts a damper on dinner. Damn strong swimmers too.

elkguide

WKR
Depends on the Bear. For example, one of those sleek northwest Idaho bear that hasn't seen flat ground since it left sows womb, and lives off eating rocks for fun. No way. This lard ass is toast.

But a big fat bird seed eating beast in NJ sucking down 20 pounds of sun flower seeds every day and getting belly rubs from hot spandex clad soccer moms....I got a 50/50 chance of making it..

"FAT" chance Trials!!!!!!!

I've seen you run!

MattB

WKR
For those that think they might be able to outrun a bear, you better think again. In 2019, my cousin and I were lucky enough to capture this event on camera during our caribou hunt. It happened right next to our camp.
When I was younger, I hunted with a friend that felt he could outrun a bear by running down hill. I usually would just sit back, listen and say, "uh huh..." I've read books about how Native Americans would work together and run down antelope but never read anything about our ancestors running away from bears, only being mauled or killed. Such an interesting concept. Enjoy the video
Glad that you now have smarter friends. Bears can run fater downhill too.

Kaleb W

FNG
Awesome video! Thanks for sharing. One morning on a moose hunt we glassed a 40" or so bull running full tilt up and over a hill with a grizz right behind him. Don't know how that turned out for the moose but it was pretty cool to see.

CoolRain8

FNG
I was hiking in Silverton Colorado and a bear flew down a mountainside running full sprint down an avalanched area. It was one of the most impressive athletic feats ive ever witnessed. That bear covered more downhill distance in 20 seconds than I could do in 5-10 minutes it. SO impressive.

kid44

Lil-Rokslider
Very few know this but I am sure many f you do, a grizzly can outrun the fastest racehorse for a sort distance,
Don't have running away from a grizzly part of your escape plan. They can also climb trees if need be.