Can you outrun a bear?

Moserkr

WKR
I was driving a dirt mtn road in MT when a black bear jumped out in front of my jeep. Clocked him at 35 mph before he took a hard left down a 45*+ scree covered hillside - and he didnt slow down one bit going down that hill. No one is outrunning a bear.

Okay...so the Video leading this Post was Awesome. I never knew a bear had that much Stamina and Endurance. I guess when they are hungry and sense weakness...they will do whatever it takes to catch and eat.

Then I watched the video posted by Antares (just before my post here)...That one got the hair on the back of my neck to stand up. SCARY!

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
Good vid OP and I am impressed it has 2M views. Was that vid monetized?

Usain Bolt would not have a chance against a bear.

IIRC, his peak speed is ~24MPH so even his peak will not help him since a bear can hit 30MPH fairly easily.

Eddie

Great video! Alaska?

A few comments: I've briefly driven alongside a black bear on a logging road while running an indicated 34 mph on a Honda quad. Kind of ties into the speeds noted above that a bear can travel. That bear was running flat out before he bailed off the side of the logging road...probably a 175# bear. I just wanted to get past him.

Also saw a black bear in Quebec 20 years ago that was busy eating on a caribou carcass give chase and almost catch another caribou that wandered by fairly close. He chased it about 50 yards before he gave up...he was pretty full too. I'd been watching him eat wondering how the caribou he was eating died until I saw that...then knew exactly why it had died. A caribou camp buddy arrowed that bear a few days later...P&Y boar, but not before it tore the heck out of my old Kelty pack I'd left on the shore of the giant lake we camped and hunted along. Got dropped off via freighter canoe every morning and picked up every evening about dark. The pack had a bloody broken off end of an aluminum arrow with a Zwickey broadhead in it from my prior day's caribou kill. The bear chewed through the pack pocket nylon and zip-lock bag to get to the broadhead. and chew on it.

In 2017 in BC my brother, nephew and I watched a decent boar grizzly that was rimming around the mountain just above the brush and timber line before he spotted a group of 6 caribou. He took off after them from 150 yards away...full steam ahead. He ran the herd a 1/4 mile down hill before they split into two groups. He followed the group headed down but they evaded him. Appeared he'd had previous luck or wouldn't have expended the energy on the chase of maybe 1/2 mile before he pulled up. Bet if a caribou was injured or appeared slow he'd have caught it, just like the OP's video.

rodney482

WKR
“A bear can climb a tree faster than you can fall out”

a. Hard no you can’t outrun a bear

OP
BigHunterification
I dont know why you guys think you can't outrun a bear... its super easy. Just run across a street and let a bus hit em... #Easy

I've never been to Russia but... wow! That guy is acting like they're pests or an everyday occurrence. Or maybe he didn't see the the bear until he was at his toes?

d08102fe7f16518632426e47e1e69696.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk