Can you quit ?

Brooks

WKR
In 1998 I enjoyed smoking cigarettes and dipping Copenhagen. I’d been doing it for a good 10 years then one day I was in a store and told the cashier I wanted a pack of Marlboro and threw down a 5 dollar bill, she looked at it and said they are $5.75 a pack. I gave he another .75 cents and left. I thought I would have paid her $20.00 for them...I need to quit ! A month later we were going to elk hunt in the wilderness and camp up there for 7 or 8 days. I thought if I am going to quit that is the time to do it so I didn’t take any tobacco with me at all. It was an archery hunt in a hell hole of a wilderness and one tough week for sure. When I got back down to town I thought about buying a pack of cigarettes or a can of Cope but kept thinking I just went 8 days without it maybe I’ll buy some tomorrow but not today. It’s been awhile now, I haven’t had a smoke or a dip since September 10th 1998. Did you quit ? How’d you go about doing it ?

Last edited:

Northpark

WKR
I quit when I first got married. Copenhagen long cut was my thing. We had no money and student loans, a vehicle payment, etc. I just said nope can’t afford that anymore and quit. Haven’t really done it since.

Marble

WKR
I have chewed off and on since I was a teen. Sometimes I would chew for an entire yearor two, starting at hunting season, sometimes I wouldn't chew at allfor a year or two. I would chew a can every other day. For whatever reason, I could stop whenever I wanted and not touch anything and have no bad affects from stopping. I still think about it. I really enjoy it. Just started and stopped again recently. But after getting diagnosed with cancer again....I figure I shouldn't push my luck.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Jbehredt

WKR
Copenhagen long cut for 14 years. Quit 6 years ago. Decided I didn’t want to do it anymore so I bought one last can. I was a real SOB for a week or so after my last dip. Got into a nasty fight with a kitchen faucet. Drip at me one more time mofo and I’ll rip you off that sink! One more time!!!!

OP
B

Brooks

WKR
I was bow hunting turkeys with a good friend about 10 years ago and he dipped Cope. I hadn’t had a dip since that elk hunting trip. We were sitting in the blind and I could smell that chew. It smelled so dang good I said give me that can and put a dip in.....20 minutes later I was sick as a dog ! Never have had the urge to do that again.

UWneptune308

Lil-Rokslider
Dipped and smoked, woke up one day and just stopped. I was tired of my word being just talk and no follow through. I knew quitting and sticking to it would make me healthier but also make me a more trustable dependable person.

The thing with quitting is people don’t want to quit they just want to wake up and magically not have any desire to have it. To quit you have to WANT to quit and be ready to fight those urges. I’m coming up on two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

go_deep

WKR
Cope for over 20 years. As my kids got older I didn't want them to dip or smoke, so I quit cold tourney one day. After I quit my coworker who dipped Cope for over 40 years says, if you can quit so can I. Took him 2 weeks, done.
I've never had the desire to dip again since quitting

I ran with the wrong crowd as a teen and had no direction in life. I started smoking and dipping at age 12, was at a pack a day by 14. We were all punk kids and we would steal them. Got in some trouble at 15, and ill just say i was unable to access them for about 9 months but started again at 16 but not as many per day. After i turned 18 my girlfriend at the time and now wife asked me to quit, so i quit cold turkey and im very glad i did. Also kinda glad i got all of my "wild phase" in general over with before i was older and driving. For me the physical fixation of flicking the cigs stuck with me for many years, i still catch myself occasionally flicking pencils and pens sometimes lol

Been chewing for 24 years. Copenhagen Long-cut Wintergreen is what I like. I go through four cans a week, so I don’t have a dip in all the time. I get about 6 dips per can. When I dip, I feel a general feeling if happiness, increased focus, and a sunny disposition. If I don’t dip, I’m moody, sarcastic, and generally hostile for no reason.

I “quit” once when I severed my achilles and couldn’t get around. The wife refused to get me any. As soon as the stitches came out of my leg after the surgery and I got out of a cast and into a boot, I went and got a roll. I could feel the tension leave my shoulders!

Never got heavily into it. Chewing some tobacco. The cheap flavorful stuff. Beechnut I think was the name. Started with very small amounts for 3-4 weeks. One day I decided I was ready a large wad. I still lived with mom and dad. I was a senior in high school. I decided to do my wad test when I was taking a shower. Perfect spot, privacy, spit and it goes right down the drain. Well, within 5 minutes I was so dizzy I couldn't stand up. I had to crawl out of the shower. I spit the wad in the toilet and didn't flush it. I was so nauseous from being dizzy I crawled into my bed and slept for a few hours. When I woke up I went to the bathroom and the toilet was full of the tobacco I spit out. Thankfully no one saw it. That was the last time I chewed. Lost interest after that. I only lasted 3-4 weeks but retrospectively that was a good thing.

When people ask how bad I want a chew, I explain that I’ve literally climbed up two flights of stairs on my hands and knees with a torn achilles to get a can!

sndmn11

WKR
I started chewing Copenhagen in my 15th bday. By the time college baseball and a short career in LE happened, I was a 4-5 can a day chewer.

My son was born November 2017 when I was 33,, I quit cold turkey a week later, and had one can (one dip) Dec 18, 2017 when I put my dog down.

My resting heart rate went from 85ish to 65ish, and I am rich.

Robert Earl Keen wrote a song about Copenhagen. If you've never heard it look it up.
I used to dip all the time & like he said in his intro, I never had any problems with worms or long relationships.
I quit when I figured up how much money I was throwing away.

ZDR

WKR
July 2000, was on a 10 week sabbatical from work and used that time to quit dipping copenhagen. I had been dipping since 1976. I was always a runner, but really ramped up my distance and pace in July and that is the only thing that got me through it. Even today, if someone opens a can of copenhagen close to me, instantly I want it. My mouth starts watering and the same craving hits.

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
Smoked 2 packs of Marlboro reds a day for maybe 10 years, for whatever reason one morning I crumpled up the pack. Havent smoked since that was probably 6 years ago. Still chew though. I enjoy it too much. Wierd thing is I only chew when I'm working, not after work not on sunday, rain day, etc. I'm off for like 2 months in the winter dont touch it, 1 can will last me all winter. When I'm working though 1 can of cope mint long cut per day.

Marble

WKR
I started chewing Copenhagen in my 15th bday. By the time college baseball and a short career in LE happened, I was a 4-5 can a day chewer.

My son was born November 2017 when I was 33,, I quit cold turkey a week later, and had one can (one dip) Dec 18, 2017 when I put my dog down.

My resting heart rate went from 85ish to 65ish, and I am rich.
4 to 5 cans a day?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Oregon

WKR
I’ve been a can or more a day since 1984. Usually a can and a half a day. My day starts at 0330. Ends at 2030. $200 a month habit. It sucks.
Like the guys in the wheelhouse on the Deadliest Catch. Chain smoking fools.
In my wheelhouse I’m a dipping fool. Boredom, pure boredom.
Never tried to quit, only way I will quit is bad news from a Dentist. I go twice a year for cleanings and they have a laser light they check my gums. Always get a good review.
Actually, I’ve only had 2 cavities in my adult teeth and Dentist struggles to find any wear on my gums. Each chew is always placed in a different spot. Upper/lower.
Damn shame it will take bad news to quit.

Nick87

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been a can or more a day since 1984. Usually a can and a half a day. My day starts at 0330. Ends at 2030. $200 a month habit. It sucks.
Like the guys in the wheelhouse on the Deadliest Catch. Chain smoking fools.
In my wheelhouse I’m a dipping fool. Boredom, pure boredom.
Never tried to quit, only way I will quit is bad news from a Dentist. I go twice a year for cleanings and they have a laser light they check my gums. Always get a good review.
Actually, I’ve only had 2 cavities in my adult teeth and Dentist struggles to find any wear on my gums. Each chew is always placed in a different spot. Upper/lower.
Damn shame it will take bad news to quit.
I try to place it in different spots but it just dont feel right