Can you quit ?

I am a head and neck cancer surgeon. I get the addiction. My mom, dad and sister all smoke, and a lot. I agree with those that say you have to want to quit. Cant do it for someone else. Cant tell you how many people I cut cancer out of smoke the day they leave the hospital. Cant blame ‘em. Not sure I’d be able to quit if I started either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

netman

WKR
I dipped Cope for many years. One day I put a dip in and it didn’t taste good. Threw it out. A short time later I put a dip in and it taste worse. Threw the dip out and threw the can away.
Have not dipped since then with no desire to start again.
When I smell my coworkers dip breath it turns my stomach.
I’ve been tobacco free now for over twenty years or more.

Robster

Lil-Rokslider
Pack a day and a tin every other day. I'd dip while drinking coffee and eating. Guys I worked with couldn't figure that one out.

I've quit both on and off over the years. X wife got me started again before the divorce.

I have been tobacco free now for I don't know how long. I don't remember when I quit for good which to me means it will be for good as I just don't care anymore. Every time I quit before then I knew to the day when I quit and could tell you how many years, months and weeks it's been.

This is how I did it. I wanted to quit as I wanted to walk my daughter down the aisle without half my jaw missing because I chewed. Smoking and chew no longer tasted good after the first one in the morning. I was getting canker sores from the chew. Just couldn't quit because it's a tough habit to break. So one morning I woke up and wrote on a piece of paper exactly how I felt. Coughing, bad taste in mouth, canker sores......I wrote it all down. there were a good 12-15 things on the paper. I folded it real small and put it in my wallet. Every time I got an urge that was so bad I was ready to head to the store I would slowly pull the paper out of my wallet and unfold it. Then read each line and think about it. By the time I got through the list the killer urge would be gone, I'd fold up the paper and go on with my day.

Worked for me

Don't know where the list went. Don't care. I'll never start again

I dipped Cope for many years. One day I put a dip in and it didn’t taste good. Threw it out. A short time later I put a dip in and it taste worse. Threw the dip out and threw the can away.
Have not dipped since then with no desire to start again.
When I smell my coworkers dip breath it turns my stomach.
I’ve been tobacco free now for over twenty years or more.

Had the same experience, but with the aid of Chantix. I wanted to quit for my 2 yo son. Chewed Cope 28 yrs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tgun46

FNG
Good on all of you have who have quit, it’s not easy. I’ve tried many times and can’t kick it. I chew at work mostly, won’t do it around my kids. Goin on 18 years and still trying.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I dipped and smoked heavily for about 2 years in the Navy. Did not dip while on duty, but would go through a can between getting off and going to bed. I was not able to quite cold turkey, but the day I drove to a gas station at midnight for another can of Copenhagen straight I decided I had a problem. I still don't consider myself to have quite as I will through one in on occasion if someone else is dipping, but last dip was around April of 2019. I had not bought a can since around 2014 and only had a dip a few ties a year before that.

Every time I dip I intentionally have too much and keep it in too long. Now just the smell of it makes me feel a little ill.

I sill like an occasional cigar, but that had been down to a couple a year. Last one was around a year ago.

For a while I was smoking a pipe several times a week. Not had one in about a year also. Bought 2 ounces of pipe tobacco when I mooved to Anchorage almost 2 years ago, still have over half of it.

All of it is horrible for ones health. None would be best, but telling myself I cannot have it makes me want it. Telling myself I can have it whenever I want and focusing on the down sides of doing so worked better for me. Of course, what works for one of use might not for another.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I dipped Copenhagen for almost 20 years, from when I was 16 until a couple days before my 36th birthday. About a can a day for the most part. The last day of deer season 6 years ago I went a few hours without, then made it to dinner, and to bed without. Six months of absolute misery followed when I was not fit to be around any other human beings - my wife was fed up with me for sure - but eventually the all day intense cravings subsided. Six years now and I still have occasional intense cravings. It’s damn hard to quit and my hat is off to those who do.

grfox92

WKR
I've been addicted to Nicotine since I was 15. So 19 years. I've done it all in the name of trying to quit. Dip, vaping, the occasional Black and Mild and Zyn type nicotine pouches. I ditched cigarettes when I was 23 or 24.

I came close to quiting Copenhagen which is what I've consistently been doing for the last 5 or 6 years, by using my the Zyn nicotine pouches. Then, like a fool, I bought a can of Copenhagen in a moment of weakness and have been back regularly chewing.

I only Chew in the car, while I'm at work or out in the field. Once I'm home for the night I don't even have the desire. In fact if I don't go out and do something outdoorsy I won't chew the whole weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

grfox92

WKR
I started chewing Copenhagen in my 15th bday. By the time college baseball and a short career in LE happened, I was a 4-5 can a day chewer.

My son was born November 2017 when I was 33,, I quit cold turkey a week later, and had one can (one dip) Dec 18, 2017 when I put my dog down.

My resting heart rate went from 85ish to 65ish, and I am rich.
4-5 cans a day is insane.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I went through 10 cans of Cope a week for over 20 years. I quit as a birthday present to my daughter when she turned 2, she's now almost 17. I quit cold turkey, handed the half can I had left to my wife and said I'm done. She put it on top of the fridge at first, a week later she pitched it in the trash. I just needed the right reason as I had tried before and failed. Now I smell it when somebody opens a can it makes me sick to my stomach from the smell

Azone

WKR
Back to a can of Cope snuff a day. Chewed to no end from about 15 to 27 then just said fu?k it and quit one day. My best friend joined me on the wagon and we rode it off and on for a few years pretty good. Maybe once every couple months I would take a pinch, then I just said screw it and stopped flat out till I turned 31 last year. After a series of extremely bull shitish and messed up events I found a can to be in my possession all the time. Call it an excuse, which it is, but it kept me from listening to the voices in my head lol. Ran into my friend one day and he was packing cope again to about the same time I threw in the towel on behaving.
I smoked cigs for a bit in my younger I don’t give two shits days, but my girlfriend and now wife absolutely hates them. So it took a little bit of doing but I kicked the cowboy killers down the road a long time back. Every now and again if I’ve been drinking and someone has a spare I may bum one to smoke, but it’s rare. 95 percent of the time watching someone puff a cig makes me want to vomit, but every now and then I slip up. Nicotine addiction is a serious M F er, and some guys can never stop, we all should but some of us don’t.

Lowg08

WKR
Well since you asked. My mom thought at 7 she would break me by letting me try snuff. it well that backfired. I quit drinking and smoking and dipping. When the Lord saved me I quit drinking and smokes went with it. 13 years ago. I continued dipping. 3 cans of cope a day. Well I announced my call To preach and continued dipping until. Several things happened. My son asked me to quit after a jawless man commercial and then again. The Lord got involved. I was the youth pastor at the church. Still dipping. One Sunday the preacher said in his sermon. How do we think it looks to someone who is lost when we share Jesus with them and then turn around and spit tobacco juice. Maybe it was for more than just me but it really hit me. Dipping in front of my kids in the youth group and it pierced me. So with that said. I quit dipping 7 years ago this year. I don’t want Alcohol or smokes BUT I could eat can and all Of cope right now. I do not because the Lord and my family

Sykes

WKR
I chewed Copenhagen snuff for 15 years. Tried to quit several times by taking up smoking, always figured I could quit smoking. But always had to go back to dip to quit smoking. Quit for good in Oct 2012. Bought a new can, stuffed my lip full and threw the can out the window of the truck. It was a rough few weeks. I still crave it especially hunting, camping and working on the ranch. This thread is making me want a dip now. I have two boys that do everything I do so I better behave

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I was cured of the desire to chew when I was in 7th grade. Buddy of mine got ahold of a can of Copenhagen. A few of us were walking around and decided to hang at the park by my buddies house one evening. Sat on the merry go round and one of my buddies started spinning us. Next thing you know I swallowed the whole chew. I was sick and puking. To this day the smell of chew makes me want to puke.

In 1998 I enjoyed smoking cigarettes and dipping Copenhagen. I’d been doing it for a good 10 years then one day I was in a store and told the cashier I wanted a pack of Marlboro and threw down a 5 dollar bill, she looked at it and said they are $5.75 a pack. I gave he another .75 cents and left. I thought I would have paid her $20.00 for them...I need to quit ! A month later we were going to elk hunt in the wilderness and camp up there for 7 or 8 days. I thought if I am going to quit that is the time to do it so I didn’t take any tobacco with me at all. It was an archery hunt in a hell hole of a wilderness and one tough week for sure. When I got back down to town I thought about buying a pack of cigarettes or a can of Cope but kept thinking I just went 8 days without it maybe I’ll buy some tomorrow but not today. It’s been awhile now, I haven’t had a smoke or a dip since September 10th 1998. Did you quit ? How’d you go about doing it ?

Damn. Nice work! I don't crave cigarettes all that much anymore, after quitting 10 years ago, but chew is a hard one. It still gets me sometimes. I keep reminding myself I need to stay alive for my baby girl coming next month.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Smoked for about 15 years, never chewed. Long story short, I had to want to quit! Each day without a cigarette was one more reason to not smoke. I did spend about three years on the gum afterwards. Nicotine is no joke, very addictive. My mind had to relearn how to function, especially with balancing emotions and some minor depression. Anyway June 8th will be two years with zero nicotine or tobacco of any kind.

tuk

FNG
Started vaping. Have been able to quit that off and on for a few months at a time. Gonna give it another shot soon

CorbLand

WKR
Copenhagen long cut winter green. Miss that stuff. I quit for the classic reason of...met a girl, fell in love...you know the rest.

Smoked as a teen, got married young and she helped me quit by refusing to kiss me if I smoked. 20 years later we split up and I started up again. Smoked moderately for about ten years, then again my current girlfriend helped by being very patiently intolerant of my nasty habit. I would stand outside smoking in the snow and think to myself “This is not fun... I must be an addict“. Got a hypnotherapy session that helped me over the hump and haven’t smoked since 2008. Sure helps with my wind when I’m chasin Muleys at 9000 ft.

Copenhagen long cut winter green. Miss that stuff. I quit for the classic reason of...met a girl, fell in love...you know the rest.
copenhagen what a wad of flavor, Copenhagen you can see it in my smile
C openhagen do yourself a favor, chew Copenhagen drive Them little girls wild
Robert Earl Keen