Can you quit ?

Cigarettes - On my first try a Dr wrote a script for a patch that was way to strong, I stopped the patch and felt better smoking.

Fast forward to over the counter patch sales. I purchased the 14mg and a pack of 7mg. I used half a box of the 14mg and switched to the 7mg for a few days and I was done.

There was a warning about sleeping with the patch on and it was legit then, I had some crazy dreams. Maybe they have fixed that issue.

Son in Law used Chantix to quit cigarettes. He's going on 5 years now without one.

HawkeyeHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Quit chewing 5 years ago. Used some coffee grounds and tea leaf replacement chew for several weeks and phased it out. It’s wasn’t overly difficult so I would say it’s doable for anyone. Dad quit the same day so maybe the accountability partner helped. Or maybe it was my wife’s urging to quit. I told her the money I save goes to my hunting adventures. That’s a great incentive for me. Already led to one great adventure

I am 58. I smoked cigs from age 16-24. I would say it developed into a pack a day. At 24 I got a bad infection in my lungs. For a month I couldn‘t choke down a cig to save me. After the infection was over I bought a pack and got fixin to get back into the habit. my favorite cig tasted like i imagine a turd would. I took that as a blessing and gave it up.
Whenever I was outdoors I had the urge to have some skoal in my mouth. This habit continued until I was about 40 ish. I then I got off that. I didnt find it hard to quit either habit. Now if I can just stay off fried food and mashed potatoes I might live long enough to find the next bad habit.

I quit when I moved out of my parents house for college. I didn’t smoke but my Dad was a heavy smoker starting in his teens. At times a chain smoker. I grew up in a house with a nearly always present smokey haze. The health problems it has caused him, most noticeably starting in his mid 50’s, pretty much ruined his retirement years. He quit for good in his late 50‘s but the damage was done. He has been carrying an oxygen tank for the last 20 years and is has permanently attached to a tank for I don’t know how long. Now 80, he spends a lot of time on the couch. Mind is good but body is not there. He is determined, not a complainer, and hard worker so he still got out and did things. It may have taken him 2 hours to do something that should take 30 minutes but he would do it. For for an active hunter, fisherman, and shooting enthusiast, that greatly limits your participation in those sports. Hell it makes the 50 foot walk to the truck take 2-3 minutes. Tobacco no bueno.

Trr15

WKR
I chewed skoal/Copenhagen for 20 years (from 13 to 33 yrs old). Quit cold turkey a little over 8 years ago. Having kids is what prompted me to quit and take better care of myself. Decided I needed to do what I could to be around as long as possible and spend as much time with them as I could. Still think about chewing regularly.

Quit smoking to be able be more efficient at hiking. Switched to Copenhagen for years.

Quit Copenhagen cold turkey after my stepfather died from cancer.

Have had a few slip ups while drinking when offered a pinch, but haven't bought a can. Now if only I can figure out the stop drinking one haha

Fatcamp

WKR
Gave up drinking first. Then smoking. Got to want it. Smoked for 20 years. Been off of them for 12, 13 years?

I was at a pack of cigarettes a day for close to 10 years I’d say. I tried quitting several times and always failed. I was finally able to quit about 8-9 years ago when I was driving home from a job in Southern California, I ran out and said I’ll buy a pack when I stop for gas then didn’t buy any when I stopped each time for gas. Didn’t buy any the next day and just kept rolling with it. I wasn’t necessarily trying to quit then but I think I just lost the desire to smoke. I had always wanted to try Lucky Strikes and saw them a few months back so bought a pack, I couldn’t get two drags off a cigarette and said he’ll with this and threw them in the trash. Just zero desire to smoke anymore.

Grew up farming, and logging in the country. All the old timers smoked pipes and cigs. Started chewing Copenhagen in high school when in FFA. Went back and forth battling chew addiction, smoking and alcohol. Quit smoking about 12 years ago with Chantix. Did not want my kids seeing that habit and I was ready.
Copenhagen was the hardest thing for me to quit. I was so addicted to that snuff. I knew I had a real problem when I was just gutting it. Went on Chantix for the snuff and have not had a lipper in over a decade.

Jgriff

FNG
I quit after 14 years when it got to $2.50 a can. Used to buy a roll for $20. I was addicted to the habit and not so much the nicotine, I quit using the mint leaves chew alternative. I don’t even know if they make it anymore. After messing with it for a few weeks I easily quit and never looked back. My gums and mouth are much happier now....not to mention my wallet!

I've chewed since I was 18 (2009). I quit when I met my wife (2011). Started again when I was a baseball coach in 2013. Quit last summer at the Total Archery Challenge in UT. I was never a gutter so I had to spit. Talking to too many potential customers did it for me. To me, it's a bad look to be chewing while working a show. I didn't chew while working that show for 4 days. Came home and stopped completely. I do use the new zyn pouches though. They are super easy and no spit. Don't know if they are better or worse

I don’t dip a ton. It’s always at work only, and I get a can probably every 2 weeks. I enjoy it, but when my last cans are gone, I think I’m done.

I still smoke a pipe on occasion because I love the hell out of it!

netman

WKR
I get reinforced every time I get in my buddy’s truck and see his god awful spit cup and get a good whiff of its contents.
Nothing about that is appealing at all.

Gotta want to do it for sure. Kicked smoking a few years ago, still chew Copenhagen daily. Never at home though, only in the truck or at work. Can lasts me 2-3 days now, used to be 2-3 cans a day when I was drilling for a living.

Tried smoking cigs in my early years and could never stand the smell or the “high”. Thankfully, never started down that road. Snuff had the same effect on me and I spit it out every time. What I did do for a while was chew Levi Garret. That stuff was like candy to me. It had a nice flavor and was kinda sweet tasting to me. Pull a nice chunk out or bite it off and actually chew. I used to gut it. I don’t really know what made me quit but I did cold turkey. Been many years since then and I am so glad I quit.

RichP

Lil-Rokslider
I watched a neighbor who was a mountain of a man die of ephasoyma. There are a lot of ways to die, but I don’t want to suffocate to death like he did. That was in 1994. Quit cold turkey and never went back!

ChrisAU

WKR
Dipped Grizzly Wintergreen from 2005 to 2013, peaked at over a can a day. Then switched to Swedish Snus, got rid of the nasty spit bottles and such but still got tobacco/nicotine. Last year I swapped from that to Rogue/Zyn. A can lasts me a week. Getting less and less important to me over time. Just like it too much when hunting, fishing, or golfing.

WCB

WKR
Chewed Copenhagen and Red Man for 6 years or so (17-23)....about a tin or pack of RM a day. I don't have an addictive personality and never felt like I needed it to function I just did it because I did I guess. I mean what else do you do while playing Junior Hockey, then going to college, then guiding hunts. I literally just one day threw half a tin of Cope away and never bought any more.

Weird thing is never got sick from it or had a bad experience but If I smell any type of chew now I gag a little. I have no idea why as I loved the smell of a freshly opened pouch or tin. Winter Green or Peach or any other flavored Tabaco always turned my stomach...never did like chewing with women anyways