Can you quit ?

ridgefire

WKR
My son was 4 and he asked me why I chew so I threw my Copenhagen out the window told him I don't anymore and have not had a chew since then. He's 20 now. I smoked for a couple years after that but then read The Easy Way To Quit Smoking by Dr. Allen Carr and I have not had a smoke since. I wanted to quit so it was really easy for me. I chewed about a can a day when I chewed and smoked about a pack a day when I smoked. Good luck to all those trying to quit. It's pretty dang easy if you want it.

Like2hunt

Lil-Rokslider
Im in high school and i get offered nicotine every day and i live in a quite little country town. I can only imagine how bad it is in the big schools. I've been offered vape, chew, pouches, cigs, weed, alcohol, just about everything. I've never tried it and I dont ever plan on trying it. Im glad i read this thread it just makes me want to never try it even more.

I'd say I was chewing daily by age 14. Always was able to turn it off whenever I wanted to over the last 20 years. And I was by no means a casual user. I've never used a spitter in my life and would literally play basketball games with a dip in. I'd go for years at a time chewing all day and then just turn it off for 6 months if I wanted to. Even working 2 week hitches, I could chew NONSTOP for 2 weeks at work and then not touch it on my two weeks off. Now I havn't used it regular for about 5 years because it makes my teeth fall out.

Same with alcohol, even when I was out-of-control drinking 4-6 days a week in college, I shut if off for a couple two month periods in there no problem just to prove to myself it wasn't a problem or addiction. Never smoked, I think my exposure to second hand smoke really young blew out of my lungs. I can't even inhale second hand smoke on the sidewalk without coughing

cday34

FNG
My dad chewed his whole life. Then I played college baseball and most all the guys chewed. So I was around it for as long as I can remember. I tried to like it but I got sick every time I would pack my lip. I would tell myself to just suck it up and I would get used to it, but never did. Now I'm sure glad I couldn't do it.

quitting can seem impossible, but is so worth it!! I smoked for close to 20 years and once I had kids I knew that I didn't want to raise them around me being a smoker. I struggled for a year or two , but then lost my grandfather and my father within a two year stretch and that sealed the deal for me. I simply quit because I knew I was ready and needed to be here for my family as long as possible.

WCB

WKR
Im in high school and i get offered nicotine every day and i live in a quite little country town. I can only imagine how bad it is in the big schools. I've been offered vape, chew, pouches, cigs, weed, alcohol, just about everything. I've never tried it and I dont ever plan on trying it. Im glad i read this thread it just makes me want to never try it even more.

Your pocket book and health will greatly appreciate it in the coming years. I didn't even have a drink until after college and still went to all the parties and had a great time...the difference was I was making $10-$20 per drunk idiot driving them home (no charge for friends obviously). Bar nights or house parties in college I made easily $100-$200.

Trav138

FNG
Grizzly wintergreen for me for 6 years. I quit cold turkey about 3 years ago. It’s tough but well worth it. I was just sick of paying for a 5-6 cans a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandstrom

WKR
About nine years ago a friend of mine quit chewing cold turkey. I figured if he could do it so could I. I was a tin a day, put one in when I woke up and try to remember to not fall asleep with one in kind of guy. The first month or two was pretty rough!! Even to this day my mouth waters when someone opens a fresh tin around me, every once in a while I even have a dream that I had one!!
For any one just starting to quit, it is totally worth it! Every day is easier than the last!!!

I would say good luck, but it’s not luck, it’s all about how strong you are and how bad you want it!!
Ryan

OXN939

WKR
I’ve been a can or more a day since 1984. Usually a can and a half a day. My day starts at 0330. Ends at 2030. $200 a month habit. It sucks.
Like the guys in the wheelhouse on the Deadliest Catch. Chain smoking fools.
In my wheelhouse I’m a dipping fool. Boredom, pure boredom.
Never tried to quit, only way I will quit is bad news from a Dentist. I go twice a year for cleanings and they have a laser light they check my gums. Always get a good review.
Actually, I’ve only had 2 cavities in my adult teeth and Dentist struggles to find any wear on my gums. Each chew is always placed in a different spot. Upper/lower.
Damn shame it will take bad news to quit.

One good way to think of it- you could buy a brand new Ford Raptor, a guided Dall Sheep hunt, a nice custom rifle and an ATACR to top it with for the cost of that habit over that period of time (~$90,000)

Oregon

WKR
One good way to think of it- you could buy a brand new Ford Raptor, a guided Dall Sheep hunt, a nice custom rifle and an ATACR to top it with for the cost of that habit over that period of time (~$90,000)
That would be a great way to think about it! Problem is, I don’t need to quit to afford that.

Pack a day and a tin every other day. I'd dip while drinking coffee and eating. Guys I worked with couldn't figure that one out.

I've quit both on and off over the years. X wife got me started again before the divorce.

I have been tobacco free now for I don't know how long. I don't remember when I quit for good which to me means it will be for good as I just don't care anymore. Every time I quit before then I knew to the day when I quit and could tell you how many years, months and weeks it's been.

This is how I did it. I wanted to quit as I wanted to walk my daughter down the aisle without half my jaw missing because I chewed. Smoking and chew no longer tasted good after the first one in the morning. I was getting canker sores from the chew. Just couldn't quit because it's a tough habit to break. So one morning I woke up and wrote on a piece of paper exactly how I felt. Coughing, bad taste in mouth, canker sores......I wrote it all down. there were a good 12-15 things on the paper. I folded it real small and put it in my wallet. Every time I got an urge that was so bad I was ready to head to the store I would slowly pull the paper out of my wallet and unfold it. Then read each line and think about it. By the time I got through the list the killer urge would be gone, I'd fold up the paper and go on with my day.

Worked for me

Don't know where the list went. Don't care. I'll never start again

The note method is excellent. I rode submarines for six years. On one patrol one of our men was whining about how much he missed home and basically how awful things were at sea. I asked him why he had recently reenlisted, and in his most whiny, country accent, he said "Maaaan, I forgot how bad it WAS!"

That day I got one of the little green notepads and made my first entry. "Never, ever forget how bad this is." Filled that book every time I missed my family, went days without sleep, etc. Whenever I got nostalgic about missing my submariner brothers and considered extending my enlistment, I pulled out that little book.

It's easy to forget why you wanted to quit in the first place.

I actually quit smoking because of how badly it made my father feel. Instead of a notebook for that, my little brother would constantly remind me. I once lit a cigarette after "quitting". My little Bro said in the most disgusted and disappointed voice, "You don't even love our Dad." That was the last time I smoked.

nphunter

WKR
I smoked for a dozen or more years from high school until about 2012, I was smoking a little over a pack each day. When my kids were starting to get old enough to know what I was doing I decided to quit because I didn't want them to ever start. I sure miss the sense of total relaxation after walking out on the porch and taking that first big drag, it was like every problem in the world went away, I still think about that every time I smell cigarette smoke.

I would smoke cigars during hunting season for a long time and then a few years back I remember having a headache lying in my tent wondering why in the world I would do that to myself. Tossed the rest and haven't even wanted one at all since.

I also quit drinking about 6 or 7 years ago, I use to drink in the evening and weekends or while out with buddies or at hunting camp. One day I just decided I was sick of hangovers and decided it was a waste of my life to always be drinking and haven't had a single drink since. I spend most of my spare time now in the woods or with my family or both and I cannot stand being around a bunch of people who have been drinking. I really didn't realize how obnoxious people get after a few drinks back when I was participating.

Scoot

WKR
My mom died 4 years ago- breast and lung cancer. My dad did this past fall- bladder, kidney, prostate, lung, and bone cancer. Both smokers who would both be alive today if they weren't smokers. Every time we get done with one of my kid's events (basketball, volleyball, track, golf, band, end of semester grades, etc) I still each for my phone to update them. They were at most, but if not they wanted an immediate report. Just about kills me to not have them here to give updates to.

For your sake, but for your kids and loved ones, quit. Figure out a way to do it and quit. If you try and fail, try again. You and all of the people you love will be happy you did.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
I quit 24 years ago after a can a day habit for almost 30 years. Myself and my Dad and a hunting buddy were going down the highway heading to elk camp. I rolled down my window and through a roll of copenhagen out in the bar ditch. I had a child due in January and decided I wanted to be around to watch him growup. My Dad and buddy looked at me like I was crazy and then looked at each other like oh crap. It was one of the easiest and best choices in my life.

I dipped for 15 years. No clue why I started and like many I was driving down the rd one day and said why am I doing this crap. I truly enjoyed it and too this day I enjoy the smell of it and would probably enjoy putting one in as I type this. However is it really worth it. Realistically you’ll probably be fine but if your not it’s no good.

hotsoup

FNG
I dipped for 15 years. No clue why I started and like many I was driving down the rd one day and said why am I doing this crap. I truly enjoyed it and too this day I enjoy the smell of it and would probably enjoy putting one in as I type this. However is it really worth it. Realistically you’ll probably be fine but if your not it’s no good.
I smoked for about 10 years while I was an army Lt and Captain, then quit smoking and started chewing on cigars that I lit and immediately put out. A cigar that has been lit has a different flavor than one never lit. For the next 16 years I chewed cigars. Once I retired I started chewing leaf tobacco. Still do today, 25 years after retirement. My health is excellent, get regular dental checks as well as annual physicals. No desire to quit chewing at present.

I smoked for about 10 years while I was an army Lt and Captain, then quit smoking and started chewing on cigars that I lit and immediately put out. A cigar that has been lit has a different flavor than one never lit. For the next 16 years I chewed cigars. Once I retired I started chewing leaf tobacco. Still do today, 25 years after retirement. My health is excellent, get regular dental checks as well as annual physicals. No desire to quit chewing at present.
When people use to tell me I’d get cancer and blah blah blah
I’d tell um my granddad smoked un filtered camels. He light one in the morning keep one going till dinner then smoke till he went to bed.
He also was a coal miner. He died at the terrible age of 94.