Can you recommend me a tent

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Hi Guys,

Can you please recommend me a tent for back country hunting.
Id prefer a tenth with a floor. A tent not too big but not too small
any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Regards,
Glendine.

OP
Glendine

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Hi ElkSlayer 67,

Thanks for your questions.
My budget any close or under $800. Hunting in Ireland. Single space but in 6 feet 6 inches
so if it was a double I wouldn't mind. Currently using a Spartan precision tent but its not really good enough for winter hunting and storage of gear etc.

Thanks
Regards,
Glendine

Hi ElkSlayer 67,

My budget any close or under $800. Hunting in Ireland. Single space but in 6 feet 6 inches
so if it was a double I wouldn't mind. Currently using a Spartan precision tent but its not really good enough for winter hunting and storage of gear etc.

Thanks
Regards,
Glendine
Glendine
I recommend a two person free standing double wall tent. Big Agnes has a few you might like. The Copper Spur 2 is very popular for a reasonable price and under 3 lbs. If you want lots of room and money isn’t an issue the Tiger Wall Carbon 3 comes in just over 2lbs. Which is crazy for a three person tent. For extreme cold I would look at Hilleberg. They are a bit heavier but are a four season tent. What temperatures are you expecting? Are you expecting snow? If so how much?
I currently run the Nemo spike for my early hunts ( I believe it is similar to the Spartan Precision) and a MSR Hubba Hubba for later hunts. The Hubba Hubba is a great tent but I am thinking about upgrading to the Tiger Wall Carbon 2 to cut half the weight. I hunt mostly western Washington where snow load is not much of an issue so I can get away with a three season tent year round. I don’t know if any of this helps.

I use a Big Agnes Copper Spur 2 when I need a floored tent. Been great so far and zero complaints. For the size, weight, price, and easy set up I’d gladly buy another if this one ever fails.

There’s a guy on Facebook named Scotty Bethune. He’s an outdoor enthusiast and owns a company (Outdoor Addiction) that sells gear. He usually has great prices on Big Agnes stuff. Definitely worth a message to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldGrayJB

WKR
I also like the Big Agnes Copper spur 2. I'm 6'6" and it's big enough for me and my gear. Look at the Expedition model if you need something more sturdy to handle some snow.
The Stone Glacier Skyscraper looks like a great tent too if you need a 4 season tent.

Hi ElkSlayer 67,

Thanks
Regards,
Glendine

What sorts of game does one pursue when backcountry backpacking in Ireland? Any pictures to share?

Fireman03

Lil-Rokslider
Just got my hilleberg, set it up in the yard, the quality is crazy good , now I know why all the hype, I will sacrifice a little weight for a shelter I know is gonna offer protection from the elements. I'm not big on floorless, but a neat feature is I can pitch it without the inner tent and have a lightweight floor less shelter

I've spent a good amount of time researching the best options for a backpacking hunting tent and recently picked up Kuiu's Storm Star. I haven't had the opportunity to put it through the ringer yet but definitely recommend adding it to your list while you're searching.

mlgc20

WKR
Another vote for the BA Copper Spur. Also, worth checking out the Hilleberg’s with your budget.

xziang

WKR
Big Agnes is popular and for a good reason too. I run a msr hubba hubba and like it. RE I has a great return policy, just saying.

iseebucks

Lil-Rokslider
I've spent a good amount of time researching the best options for a backpacking hunting tent and recently picked up Kuiu's Storm Star. I haven't had the opportunity to put it through the ringer yet but definitely recommend adding it to your list while you're searching.
Is it true the Kuiu Storm Star has a glow in the dark ram head inside the tent? That would drive me crazy at night! Also, what made you decide to get that over a Hilleberg?

CO-AJ

WKR
If floor is your biggest screening criteria then I recommend Hilleberg like so many others. The single thing that swayed me from Hille was the weight and the tunnel design/interior space. The design is absolutely bombproof and in the end I figured it was overkill as I wasn't headed to AK or Antarctica.

Is it true the Kuiu Storm Star has a glow in the dark ram head inside the tent? That would drive me crazy at night! Also, what made you decide to get that over a Hilleberg?

I'm not sure it's glow in the dark LOL but I'll let you know. I have a couple other pieces of Kuiu gear that have performed flawlessly over the past 5 years, so brand trust was a factor for sure. At the end of the day likely all the tents in the price range will be great, but mountain conditions can so sideways really fast, having pieces in your pack you trust is key. This video summed up the features nicely that sold me on it

wildcat33

WKR
Big fan of the MSR hubba series here. Never seen a need to pay more (although they are expensive enough as is). My hubba has many 100s of nights on it and still going strong. The only thing worn out is the stuff sack.

OP
Glendine

Glendine

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks to everyone for the help with suggestions

Regards,
Glendine.