Can you spook bears out of a drainage

I recently hiked into a remote drainage and glassed up a couple of bears. Got into range of one of them and missed. That bear ran uphill into a big chunk of forest and the other bear ran downhill and into the other side of the drainage where there was thick forest there. My question is by shooting and missing and obviously scaring these 2 bears, will they leave the drainage completely? Or if there were any more bears in there would they get pushed out from the noise and activity level?

skierhs

WKR
"Possibly" will be the best asnwer you get. Ive shot at and spooked animals which left the drainage and ive also killed animals where others hang aorund within 100 yards. With bears specifically,it depends on how much they have been spooked and if it's the rut. My bet from the information youprovided, I would assume the bears went to another drainage but may be back in a few days or a week.

Wvroach

WKR
Let us know the gps coordinates for the draining and we will take a look.

I'd have to guess they will probably come back in a few days, if the only thing that scared them was the shot and they didn't wind you or see you. If the latter is true I'd guess a few weeks.

Ron.C

Lil-Rokslider
I wouldn't sweat it, We've shot bears and have seen others pop up in the immediate vicinity before we were done dressing the one we shot. We also hunt a couple areas that we glass, spot and make unsuccessful stalks on bears only to head back to our glassing perch and see another bear right where we just walked.

I'm not saying the ones you spooked may not have buggered off rapidly. But if the area is good (lots of water, fresh greens and security cover) and has plenty of bear sign, I'd give it at least a week and go back and hunt it again.

MHWASH

WKR
Several years ago I missed a bear early in the season. While checking the area I found the bear’s lair. I spent a good hour in this area looking. 3 days later my partner went back and missed a bear within a couple hundred yards from where I shot. So I’d say it just depends on the bear.

AKSandman

FNG
@Snowcappin I don’t know what kind of bears or where you are hunting, however, based on my experience hunting and guiding bear hunters, the sound of a shot typically doesn’t make game leave the country/drainage. For bears, scent (ground scent and wind driven) seem to be a larger factor in spooking bears. The more remote you are the more sensitive bears seem to be to scent spooking them out of a drainage.

OP
S
The final conclusion to this situation is go back in there, you will find bears. I went back in 4 days after the miss and came out with a gorgeous chocolate bear, and spotted 2 others, complety content after the shot was taken.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Congratulations. There was a reason those bears were in there in the first place. Food, water and cover will bring them in and back every time.

i think you will be fine, but bear are very individual creatures, they all seem to go about life a little different. what i do know, is i would rather shoot and miss a bear i wanted vs getting winded by that bear. i would assume they will be back, but if you blow them out a second time, they may find a new kitchen. i have seen bear shot at only to come back out awhile later and start feeding where they were just shot at..... have one smell you and it's not happening.

of course none of us can give you a solid answer, but i think they'll be back