Canada Airport procedures with a rifle

tntrker

WKR
I have a flight to NL coming up in Oct if everything stays open. The flight has been booked since January with Air Canada and they've changed/canceled it 5 times since. My question is, when arriving in Toronto from the US for the connecting flight to Deer Lake, Will I pick up my checked baggage, 1 being my rifle, then proceed to customs? After that, do I "recheck" everything with Air Canada? This last change has me arriving in Toronto at 5pm Sat and not flying out until 8:30am the next morning. So, that cancelled the room in Deer Lake and added a room in Toronto, provided the outfitter will pick us up at noon at the airport. Will I need to carry my luggage (& Rifle) to hotel only to recheck back in next day or would they just stay checked and put on the right flight? The flight 10 moths ago cost $470 refundable, which any change to get there the same day now would be to add $1100 for non-refundable at the current price. The return ticket has stayed ok. It cost only $359 (refundable) 10 months ago and is now $1200 non refundable...Any insight to the procedures at Toronto would help, Thanks

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Yes, you will retrieve all your checked items, including firearms, coolers, etc. And then get in line for customs

2531usmc

WKR
We flew from Baltimore to Edmonton Alberta three years ago for a bear hunt. Clearing our firearms through Toronto took 3 to 4 hours and caused us to miss our connecting flight. The customs people were nice, but clearly not in a hurry.

A better way to have done it was to have connecting flights in Minneapolis instead of Toronto. Canadian customers can clear the firearms in Minneapolis quickly and get you on your way.

Last time coming home I had the bolt in my suitcase, and the customs officer was freaking out, searching my foam for the bolt. This is where they inspect rifles segregated from the traveler in Montreal.

You can have ammo in your case but you need your cased locked, firearm deactivated ( bolt removed ) and a trigger lock on your firearm.
Was the ammo part a recent change? I ask since when I flew to Alberta, I was scolded for having the ammo in the same case as my rifle. They insisted that it be in a locked case in a separate bag. The reason being was someone would have to steal two items to get "everything" instead of one.

Was the ammo part a recent change? I ask since when I flew to Alberta, I was scolded for having the ammo in the same case as my rifle. They insisted that it be in a locked case in a separate bag. The reason being was someone would have to steal two items to get "everything" instead of one.

Scolded by Canadian customs, or US customs ?

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I travelled the world for years with my rifle for competitions. Honestly the US and Russia were probably the trickiest countries to get rifles into but still not a big deal if you had the right paper work and invites.
I’m Canadian so it’s obviously a little different but you asked about your flight. Yes once you land in Canada you will have to collect your baggage and go through customs. Your baggage including your rifle should be tagged for the entire itinerary though. Once through customs take it to the correct baggage drop off and you should be fine. You’re probably going to have to take it to the oversized baggage drop. ***I definitely would not put my ammunition in the rifle case, whether or not it maybe allowed. You’re looking for as little delays as possible and even if a baggage handler misunderstands the rules you’re the one that gets delayed. Put your ammo in your duffle (I believe it’s actually a Air Canada policy). If you locked it in your duffle even better.
You will likely have to open your rifle case twice, once at over size baggage, they want to see it’s unloaded. And second will be at customs if they decide to look. They will likely match your serial number to the papers.
Have fun!

Aluminum Rain

Lil-Rokslider
You can have ammo in your case but you need your cased locked, firearm deactivated ( bolt removed ) and a trigger lock on your firearm.
You cannot have ammo in your gun case. Both Air Canada staff and Canadian Border service stressed that. Must be in separate non carry on luggage. They mark it with stickers and have a blue copy of the Air Canada tag that goes inside baggage.

You cannot have ammo in your gun case. Both Air Canada staff and Canadian Border service stressed that. Must be in separate non carry on luggage. They mark it with stickers and have a blue copy of the Air Canada tag that goes inside baggage.
Confirmed !!!! No ammo in gun case for Air Canada.