Canada Border

buzzy

WKR
United Airlines announced this week immediate COVID passenger testing and results prior to boarding the plane. They are going to use this to get people to Hawaii and when they land passengers will not need to quarantine for 14 days. Costs are $250 for the test and paid for by the passenger. If this is successful why wouldn’t Canada open up the boarder besides just stubbornness?

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
Here’s my opinion, for what it’s worth: The border closing is largely political. Canada hasn’t “managed” the virus any better than we have. They simply don’t test like the US. This is evident by the death rate. Canada’s death rate is at least 3 times that of the US because they don’t test as often. Between the two counties, I prefer what Canada is doing with regard to the virus by NOT doing a ton of random testing, but shutting down the general border is ludicrous. Now, keeping people out of the far North villages where there is no virus with very little health care makes sense. I would bet we will see some type of entry eligibility after the election.

Kotaman

WKR
Tdot...I’m curious, what do you disagree with? I’m especially curious since you’re from North of the border...Seriously, lets have some dialogue...

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
Seems pretty counter productive if instant testing is available. Anyone from Canada can travel to the US and back as long as they self quarantine upon return. And I’m not sure all Canadians who have traveled follow the law. So If instant testing is available then open the boarders.

I believe I recently read some folks at a mine in Nunavut came down with Covid. What was that traced back to?

Correct me if I’m wrong but the border is closed by each country to non-essential travel, meaning travel by residents of either country to the next for recreational purposes is not possible.
I think there’s good and bad in how each country has handled it, and there’s other countries in the world who’ve shown us all up in that regard.
Immediate testing results have been discussed as a possibility for the Canadian airports which my employees report into prior to heading to remote mine sites for work, and let me tell you it would save a pile of headache and administrative work later on.
If something of that sort had been available at the start of this month I may have gotten to utilize the MT general elk tag I drew as opposed to returning it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
You can’t drive into the US but I believe Canadians can fly and there is nobody checking this on the US side at the airports.

brsnow

WKR
It seems from reading posts on here many hunters feel there is no reason for concern, ignore state mask rules, etc It would seem silly for another country to allow them in

OP
B

buzzy

WKR
It seems from reading posts on here many hunters feel there is no reason for concern, ignore state mask rules, etc It would seem silly for another country to allow them in

I ask a simple question and you respond like this. Pretty sad with the assumptions you make with how individuals follow local recommendations to a global pandemic. I guess if you like getting free handouts from your government and not caring how many jobs are destroyed due to a closed border policy living in Canada is the place for you.

If you have nothing meaningful to add no need to respond further.

brsnow

WKR
I ask a simple question and you respond like this. Pretty sad with the assumptions you make with how individuals follow local recommendations to a global pandemic. I guess if you like getting free handouts from your government and not caring how many jobs are destroyed due to a closed border policy living in Canada is the place for you.

If you have nothing meaningful to add no need to respond further.

I let you know why Americans aren’t allowed. It is anything but a simple question. No assumptions on my part. If you don’t want answers don’t ask questions.

tater

WKR
It seems that when a sovereign nation executes its right to security it is applauded by the U.S. and its citizens as showing the values of freedom and democracy that are valued by them.

Unless it interferes with U.S. goals. Then it is seen as not meeting those high ideals and is therefore something to be attacked.

The U.S. government has destroyed more of the Canadian economy in the last eight years than COVID.

Interference in our domestic oil production, tariffs on our steel and aluminum (as well as removing Canadian firms from bidding on projects under "America First" policies) and softwood lumber disputes. The list goes on.

Forget the meager sums from hunting and fishing revenue. That is a drop in the bucket that 99% of Canadians don't even reflect on yet care about.

tdot

WKR
Tdot...I’m curious, what do you disagree with? I’m especially curious since you’re from North of the border...Seriously, lets have some dialogue...

Always happy to have dialogue. What I'm about to say will likely offend, it's not meant to, it's just my opinion.

There isn't a single metric that I'm aware of that puts Canada and the US on par for the handling of the Coronavirus. But even ignoring the data, as that can be perverted by "the deep state" or foreign interference or even individual perceptions. If I look at how our populations/politicians are handling the Virus; from the beginning with the flip/flop narrative on the virus, the run on toilet paper, to the ongoing narrative/battles regarding masks, the nightly garbage (re: Coronavirus) that is spewed out of US politicians mouths (on both sides and seemingly at all levels of Gov't). America doesn't appear to be a country in control. That lack of control doesn't breed confidence. Combine that with data that supports the US trailing virtually every western country in its' response and you end up with the continued border closure.

Beyond the Coronavirus response, I have personally seen more disdain directed at Canada by Americans (both politicians and individuals) in the last 6 months, then the previous 40+ years, and very little of it is related to the border closure. I'm not the only one who has noticed this shift and when you combine the seeming instability with anger and an FU attitude regarding anything that doesn't put America first. Well, closing the border does seem like the safest option. I've heard a number of Canadians with similar sentiments.

So while the Virus alone may have been enough, in my opinion, to both close the border and then keep it closed. This bizarre level of angst that has been directed at Canada doesn't help, it only polarizes our population more and takes away less of our desire to see the border open.

I think this is all immensely sad and maybe I'm naive, but I always looked at the US and Canada as the closest two allies and friends, in the world. Now, I'm not so sure where we stand.

Kotaman

WKR
Always happy to have dialogue. What I'm about to say will likely offend, it's not meant to, it's just my opinion.

There isn't a single metric that I'm aware of that puts Canada and the US on par for the handling of the Coronavirus. But even ignoring the data, as that can be perverted by "the deep state" or foreign interference or even individual perceptions. If I look at how our populations/politicians are handling the Virus; from the beginning with the flip/flop narrative on the virus, the run on toilet paper, to the ongoing narrative/battles regarding masks, the nightly garbage (re: Coronavirus) that is spewed out of US politicians mouths (on both sides and seemingly at all levels of Gov't). America doesn't appear to be a country in control. That lack of control doesn't breed confidence. Combine that with data that supports the US trailing virtually every western country in its' response and you end up with the continued border closure.

Beyond the Coronavirus response, I have personally seen more disdain directed at Canada by Americans (both politicians and individuals) in the last 6 months, then the previous 40+ years, and very little of it is related to the border closure. I'm not the only one who has noticed this shift and when you combine the seeming instability with anger and an FU attitude regarding anything that doesn't put America first. Well, closing the border does seem like the safest option. I've heard a number of Canadians with similar sentiments.

So while the Virus alone may have been enough, in my opinion, to both close the border and then keep it closed. This bizarre level of angst that has been directed at Canada doesn't help, it only polarizes our population more and takes away less of our desire to see the border open.

I think this is all immensely sad and maybe I'm naive, but I always looked at the US and Canada as the closest two allies and friends, in the world. Now, I'm not so sure where we stand.

No offense taken. No "disdain" here. I love Canada and it fine people. I have a ton of friends up there, mostly in the hunting industry and it saddens me to see them "crippled" by the closure. Your post shows me this is still as "political" as it is anything. Too bad our leadership are totally on opposite ends of the spectrum. Trump a Wild Card and Trudeau as liberal as they come. In the end, I think we are still "allies". We have too much in common, not to be. If the closure is truly about the virus, lets get the immediate testing in place and open our borders. While the hunting industry may be a "drop in the bucket" up there, a ton of good people are suffering North of the border due to the closure.