Canada Moose Hunt 2021

OFFHNTN

WKR
Do you guys recommend a good set of rain gear for that time of year? Was thinking about getting a set of first lite seak pants and jacket.

I never go anywhere without my FL Seak rain gear. It packs small and you never know when you will be hunkered down for a while in the wind and rain/snow. I would also for sure get their Traverse gaiters, or some sort of waterproof gaiters as they help keep your boots and lower legs dry when going through wet grass and brush. A good puffy jacket is also a must. If you want one from FL, get the Uncompahgre. The Brooks Down jacket would be my second choice. Both are great, quiet, and pack small, the Uncompahgre is just a bit warmer. Good luck!

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
Thank for the info. I have some base and mid layers from elk hunting in CO. I was thinking of getting a FL Cirrus off of here and maybe some sanctuary bibs and maybe a jacket, would that work as well? Someone in this thread said I shouldn’t have to worry to much about rain that time of year just keeping warm. The outfitter website sounds like we do some driving around to find the moose then head out after them.

Because it is not a rut hunt, chances are you will be truck hunting or hunting out of a side by side and doing spot and stalk. Rain gear will not do you any good at that time of year. I wouldn't recommend wearing a puffy either unless you want to get it ripped walking through the bush. What I wear for outside hunting that time of year, whether its spot and stalk mulies or moose, is a good warm base layer, merino mid layer, a good warm hoody and then (depending on the day) a warm coat. For bottoms, I personally wear sitka heavyweight baselayer and then kuiu attack pants with kennetrek gaitors (to keep snow out of my boots and the bottom of my pants dry). My outer coat I wear is a Carhartt winter coat. I run hot, but that's what I wear and it does me well even in -20 temps. Keep in mind this is not a mountain hunt or a back pack/back country hunt. Im sure you will be staying in either a lodge/cabin type setting or wall tents with wood stoves. Don't worry about being lightweight. Be prepared for the temps to be anywhere from 40 down to -30. Average I would say will be 20 to 30. Snow could be 2 feet deep or there may not be any at all.

OFFHNTN

WKR
Thank for the info. I have some base and mid layers from elk hunting in CO. I was thinking of getting a FL Cirrus off of here and maybe some sanctuary bibs and maybe a jacket, would that work as well? Someone in this thread said I shouldn’t have to worry to much about rain that time of year just keeping warm. The outfitter website sounds like we do some driving around to find the moose then head out after them.

The Cirrus is a bit noisy, and not as warm as the others. And the Sanctuary is WAY TOO HOT to wear anywhere but in a tree stand imo. You will roast in them if you do any walking.

Before we speculate any more, or try to offer advice, I suggest you ask your outfitter exactly what the hunt entails. keeleyenviro brings up some good points, and advice given to you really depends on HOW you hunt, WHERE you hunt, and WHEN you hunt. Your outfitter should be able to answer those questions.

tikka270

FNG
following this as I want to see how it turns out. Love First Lite Gear. I love that when it's layered properly you can be standing still then on the move, get sweaty and the gear is actively pulling moisture off you. I often do pushes (dogging) in Norther Ontario (swamps to wide open cut blocks to thick shit) then expected to sit for an hour after and I would FREEZE because I sweat just taking a piss. every year gets a little better as I add FL layers.