Canada Moose Hunt 2021

Nick6275

FNG
My buddy won and moose auction so we are going hunting in Alberta, Canada in Nov. 2021. Always wanted to go moose hunting so super excited about. I am from NE and have hunted deer all my life in Nov., been back country hunting for elk the last 3 years in CO. Never hunted in Canada so looking for some advice on the terrain? Going with Udells Outfitting, anyone ever hunted with them? Also looking at getting some First Lite camo, any suggestions on a couple pieces that could be used for elk and moose hunting?

Napperm4

WKR
My buddy won and moose auction so we are going hunting in Alberta, Canada in Nov. 2021. Always wanted to go moose hunting so super excited about. I am from NE and have hunted deer all my life in Nov., been back country hunting for elk the last 3 years in CO. Never hunted in Canada so looking for some advice on the terrain? Going with Udells Outfitting, anyone ever hunted with them? Also looking at getting some First Lite camo, any suggestions on a couple pieces that could be used for elk and moose hunting?

I’m from Alberta and do a lot of moose / elk hunting. Always DIY though.

Do you know which WMU and Season you’re hunting?

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
We believe we are doing the post rut rifle, Nov. 8th-13th. Not sure on the unit, might be 525.

Napperm4

WKR
We believe we are doing the post rut rifle, Nov. 8th-13th. Not sure on the unit, might be 525.

Nice. Decent unit and relatively tough for access by locals. Some good moose come out of there.

Being the November season, get some solid hard shells. The weather is really variable so you can literally go through all 4 seasons in extremes in a day hunting. You’re also getting into the muskeg areas of Alberta. Not much Further North we have to wait for the ground to freeze to drill for oil.

It’s going to be humid and likely snowy or wet in November. Could be some brush busting deleting on how your guide hunts the area. We recently had some new regulations on land usage that nobody seems to know for sure so a few guides I know are taking it safe and hiking in to new areas you could previously get an atv from camo to.

Layers are going to be your friend being in the mountain area. Especially if you’re active hunting. A puffy will be a life saver if you’re doing a lot of glassing.

Check with your guide for an idea of what boots you’d want. Or if you’re wearing low boots and will need some gaiters or not.

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
Thank you very much for the info, greatly appreciated. I may reach out with other questions in the future.

There is lots of moose in wmu 525, we hunt it every year. As a word of caution, the area we hunt (have seen udells a bit in this area but not a lot) was hit extremely hard with native "subsistence" hunting last fall during both October and November. We saw meat poles with 15 moose (bulls, cows, calves) on it and a couple of the other guys we talked to that work in that same location had said they saw upwards of 50 moose through the fall that this group had shot, so we expect a few slower years in the area we hunt. Like I said, 525 is a big zone, so Im sure youll still have a great hunt. Lots of what we call "meat" bulls up to about 30 inches wide, a few big boys in that 45-50 inch rnage, but majority are meat bulls. Hands down no better meat

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
Great to know, I may reach out to Udell and see what they say as well. Have you heard anything good or bad about Udell's?

Great to know, I may reach out to Udell and see what they say as well. Have you heard anything good or bad about Udell's?
I haven't heard of anything either good or bad. I have seen them a couple times and we head the opposite direction. Im sure where they are doing the majority of the hunting will still be good as its a large zone.

When hiking in swamp country you MUST have complete coverage cuz the insects will carry you away. A Sitka Core tee with built-in facemask saved me in Alberta. You'll be on relatively flat ground (compared to elk hunting) for the most part. Hunt hard early, I shot mine 8 minutes into legal shooting hours. Once they bed the day is shot. Be in the area before first light and prepare for long days...stays light until like 9:40pm. Don't burn yourself out...pace yourself. Most yanks start to look ragged after 3 days.

MOOSEMAN2.jpg
IMG_2186.JPG
IMG_2169_1503925213014.JPG
screensaver.jpg
MOOSECOUNTRY.jpg
MOOSE2.jpg

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
Great pics, great moose! We are going November rifle so I hope the bugs aren't bad then. Isee you have bear spray, did you see any? Are there just black bears?

When hiking in swamp country you MUST have complete coverage cuz the insects will carry you away. A Sitka Core tee with built-in facemask saved me in Alberta. You'll be on relatively flat ground (compared to elk hunting) for the most part. Hunt hard early, I shot mine 8 minutes into legal shooting hours. Once they bed the day is shot. Be in the area before first light and prepare for long days...stays light until like 9:40pm. Don't burn yourself out...pace yourself. Most yanks start to look ragged after 3 days.

View attachment 157694
View attachment 157695
View attachment 157696
View attachment 157697
View attachment 157698
View attachment 157699
Sweet photos!! Looks like it was a really cool experience for you.

Great pics, great moose! We are going November rifle so I hope the bugs aren't bad then. Isee you have bear spray, did you see any? Are there just black bears?

Definitely grizz country however you don't expect to see em in the agricultural flatlands. That said, during a stalk on a big mulie (I had deer, elk & moose tags) in a canola field my guide stepped over a huge steaming pile of brown bear scat. It was the only time he was visibly upset. Browns only come down to the lowlands when they are starving. The bow and bear spray were our only defense (sidearms illegal in Canada and my guide only carried his 45-70 Govt lever rifle when we were in the mountains) so we beat it outta there immediately. The canola field was 5' tall and that bear was in there somewhere stalking a deer. This is canola.

IMG_2152.JPG

Photo taken at nearly 8PM...I had been up since 4AM and on my feet hunting since 6AM. The long days will test your mettle.

In November they will likely be back in bachelor groups and in singles. There will be 0 bugs during that time, the temp could range from 40 degrees to -30, depending on the year, but typically it will be in that mid 20's to mid 30's. The colder the better though as it forces the animals to move and eat more during the day to keep their energy up. There could be no snow or there could be 2 feet. I doubt you will see any bears, if you do it'll be because its a mild fall and it hasn't denned up yet. You will be in griz country, but not real prime griz country. Contrary to what has been said, griz don't just come down to the farm fields when "their starving". Their population and range has been increasing dramatically up here and they do like to eat in the oats, peas, etc as they are high in protein, etc, just like black bears and every other animal omnivore or herbivore.

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
Thanks for the info, do you hunt in that area? Any info on Udells Outfitting?

birdman1

FNG
The days are getting short and probably pretty cold by mid november. There will be no bugs at all. The local advice you got above is spot on. Very low chance of seeing any bears let alone grizz that late. Bring layers to wear including cold weather gear. I havent heard of the outfitter but theres lots of moose in that country

OP
N

Nick6275

FNG
Do you guys recommend a good set of rain gear for that time of year? Was thinking about getting a set of first lite seak pants and jacket.