Canada Moose

Looking for some info my sons & I are looking at doing a DIY or Guided moose hunt in BC AB . Anyone hunted either province or have any insight on who or where ? We live in Idaho & would drive or fly any info would be appreciated Thanks

Laramie

WKR
I researched heavily for 2.5 years but never really found what I was looking for in my price range. The highest success hunts are typically farm field hunts- the thought of road hunting a moose in farm country just wasn't appealing to me. The Peace River hunts can be good or bad depending on weather and luck. After digging deep, I didn't find any of them offering what I consider a high probability hunt in the under 8k price range. Some hunters took great bulls but I talked to 20+ hunters I found in various ways that had bad to mediocre hunts. 8-10 of the guys never saw a moose at all.

If money isn't a concern, look at northern BC hunts. I was able to find what appeared to be great quality outfitters that offered high success rate hunts for big moose.

bradb

WKR
I had a great moose hunt with Gundahoo in North Bc. They are not cheap hunts. I dont' think you can do DIY in either area, not 100% on that

As an alien (US citizen traveling to Canada) you're basically not going to hunt moose without using a guide service. Without knowing anything about your budget, it's hard to recommend a destination. Northern BC is the place to go for a wilderness-type hunt with very good chance to kill a larger bull.

Northern BC is better than alberta for numbers and size. Farm land in alberta has a lot of moose, lots of what we call "meat" bulls, 20-36 inch spreads. Some areas in northern alberta are good hunting to and have decent amount of nice size bulls. Northern BC is generally a lot more money than alberta hunts but if I was looking at a moose hunt without having a limited budget, I would look to northern BC or Yukon. You can not do moose hunts in either BC or Alberta with a guide or at least a hunter host (local who you have to hunt with).

Harveyb

FNG
If you are looking for an affordable meat bull hunt contact Copper River outfitters out of Smithers, BC. Jim Lancaster also offers high end moose hunts further north at a much higher price.

Looking for some info my sons & I are looking at doing a DIY or Guided moose hunt in BC AB . Anyone hunted either province or have any insight on who or where ? We live in Idaho & would drive or fly any info would be appreciated Thanks

As mentioned NO DIY in Canada (unless you are a canadian citizen and/or have a resident family member to accompany you if are a non-resident?)

The prices for meat bulls seems pretty reasonable though in AB, very similar or even less than DIY in Alaska depending on what you do.

Napperm4

WKR
I’m an Alberta born and raised hunter. The advice above is pretty correct. Non resident Aliens can’t hunt here without a licensed guide or a hunter host. Someone that is a licensed resident hunter with a hunter host permit. Either a family member, friend or acquaintance.

There are very few WMU’s that have quality moose in our draw system that are readily available. I’ve been applying for 18 years for the zone I want and still haven’t drawn.

OTC tags are available up in North Alberta. Peace River, Rimbey and High Level are hot spots for moose hunts. Get north of the farm land into the forested public land areas and there are some amazing hunts. Lots of public land too.

To get really remote, look for a fly in/ boat in northern Alberta semi guided or drop camp. They’re fun, quite affordable and will include the guide and tag fee. Mainly crown (public) land but no infrastructure to access it aside from bush plane or boat

j33

WKR
I’m from Alberta also, NW Alberta is where you wanna go for moose. We hunt remote NE Alberta as that’s where my family is and we have some cabins there. All float plane or Argo only accessible. That’s where I got mine way back. Moose numbers have been poor due to wolves, but the last two years we’re seeing good calves around so looking like numbers are back on the climb.

Even folks from our area go to NW Ab and come back with a few moose after a week. I would look into a remote fly in fly out, camp on the lake and bring some sort of boat. I’m guessing NE BC will be better chances as less hunting pressure.

6 of us went up to Crystal Lake outfitters in B.C. near Vanderhoof in 2018. Great guy, he seemed really knowledgeable but very few moose in the area. 7 day hunt we only got one small bull and saw one other small bull. Either over hunted? Or predators? Or just bad luck.