Canada US border open?!?!

HoytHntr4

WKR
Just had to move my spring bear hunt in Ontario to the fall. Hopefully all of this is over by then but luckily my outfitter is very flexible and will move it to next year if needed

handwerk

WKR
Dang, I have material for 6 doors I have to build sitting 40 minutes away in Thunder bay, all paid for and it may be while it sounds like...sucks as it's over a month's worth of shop work.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Just had to move my spring bear hunt in Ontario to the fall. Hopefully all of this is over by then but luckily my outfitter is very flexible and will move it to next year if needed
I hope in this situation most of them can be flexible. I feel it would be really bad business otherwise.

Dang, I have material for 6 doors I have to build sitting 40 minutes away in Thunder bay, all paid for and it may be while it sounds like...sucks as it's over a month's worth of shop work.
Isn't commerce considered essential? I've had a June trip down to the lower 48 planned for about a year now, looks like it may have to be postponed. Don't think they're going to be too persuaded if we show up at the border with camper and canoe in tow....

Bcovis

FNG
Have any of you been in contact with your outfitters? It will be interesting to see what they plan on doing if the border doesn’t open. It may be a good opportunity for Canadians to book cancellation hunts this year.

Agross

WKR
Think we are gonna call this week and see if its gonna be a refund thing or just put it toward next year. We all agreed that if it doesnt happen this year we will just roll it into next year if thats an option.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Think we are gonna call this week and see if its gonna be a refund thing or just put it toward next year. We all agreed that if it doesnt happen this year we will just roll it into next year if thats an option.
The thing that concerns me is my type of hunt the outfitter is normally booked years in advance. We will have to see what their plan is and how they will handle it. I mean I have waited two years to go on this trip. I’d prefer to get bumped to next year and not told I have to wait another two or three years to get in. I have no interest in a refund. I just want peace of mind that I will be rebooked for next year. Unfortunately these circumstances have never happened before. My personal opinion if the fall season is cancelled hunts should be shifted a year if you booked for 20 you hunt 21, 21 to 22 etc.

Cb750

FNG
I was looking to do a DIY bear hunt this fall in Ontario since that's where I am from. But I'm 4 hours from Bear country and further from good bear country. I called a couple camps that say they cater to hunters and they don't know if they will be open and they also didn't seem to actually cater to hunters. So perhaps just poor choice of camps on my part.

Maybe I will go with an outfitter then if they open. I don't know much about the outfitting business but can see them saying nope to the whole thing if they aren't going to generate enough income to cover costs of baiting etc...

Cb750

FNG
Truthfully I hope all of you non residents do get to make the trip. As much as it apparently drives up my costs if I wanted an outfitter. It sounds like you guys have saved the bacon of our outfitters. Just need to double check your firearm choices now though.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
A Fishing forum I follow for when I walleye fish said that the border just announced they will allow US Lodge owners start to enter Canada this coming Monday to prep their cabins.

It’s not a total tourism opening but to me it seems like a good start.

Cb750

FNG
Wow. Haven't heard anything like that this side of the border. But wouldn't hurt.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I’m still not convinced we will be crossing the border by June 22 when the closure expires but I feel like it’s progress towards that point. Hopefully some sheep and fall hunting seasons will be salvaged.

SoDaky

WKR
I have a place in Ontario.I haven't heard about non-res owners getting the OK to start prep.2 I know haven't heard that.Hope true.
I do know some Canadian resort owners got the 'OK' to open tomorrow(monday)but only can take canadian guests under restrictions.
As to border waters and US residents entering by boat under current conditions: https://windsor.ctvnews.ca/mobile/c...ers-about-crossing-canada-us-border-1.4971264

SoDaky

WKR
Rueters is reporting ‘sources’ say not opening on 6/21. Rolling over another month.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Seems the consensus across Canada is not to allow tourism the whole summer. I just hope they open up by beginning of September.