Canada US border open?!?!

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I just spoke with my outfitter. This is all I’ll say about this. He is preparing to trail his horses in tomorrow for a September season. The border remains closed he has no communication if it will open but he has to spend a tremendous amount of money mobilizing his operation and getting ready for what will most likely be a failed season. I’m sorry whether Canadians want Americans in or not is irrelevant the United States has poorly handled the disease and the Canadian government has failed its citizens in the tourism sector. Let them preserve some finances for the future rather than let them piss their money away on a season that will never see its clients. We equally praise our leaders and smile as the noose draws tighter.

brsnow

WKR
I just spoke with my outfitter. This is all I’ll say about this. He is preparing to trail his horses in tomorrow for a September season. The border remains closed he has no communication if it will open but he has to spend a tremendous amount of money mobilizing his operation and getting ready for what will most likely be a failed season. I’m sorry whether Canadians want Americans in or not is irrelevant the United States has poorly handled the disease and the Canadian government has failed its citizens in the tourism sector. Let them preserve some finances for the future rather than let them piss their money away on a season that will never see its clients. We equally praise our leaders and smile as the noose draws tighter.

I believe other countries can enter Canada so perhaps it is a chance to build tourism with a different market.

KBC

WKR
How has the Canadian government failed its citizens in the tourism sector? It would seem to me if the people don’t want visitors then the government is actually listening to them for a change.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
How has the Canadian government failed its citizens in the tourism sector? It would seem to me if the people don’t want visitors then the government is actually listening to them for a change.

Perhaps you are right. But I’d be curious to see population sample of the polls. The outfitters I’ve spoken with surely don’t share that opinion. if rolls were reversed and Canadians flocked to the US to hunt and you polled people from high population cities rather than areas where tourism was directly being affected i’m sure you would get the same overwhelming numbers. All I’m saying is if you have numbers you would like to see then you sample from an area you predict will get you what you are looking for.

KBC

WKR
It's still open for what is considered essential service so pretty much all goods are crossing still. We've had more than one American customer come pick up helicopters from my work in the past couple months as well.

I'll give you a secret though...You can still cross into BC if you are driving to Alaska. Just don't get caught hanging around, there has been a few americans fined pretty decent amounts for "sightseeing". Seems kind of stupid though since there is a ferry from Seattle to AK...

Elk97

WKR
I heard from someone that's usually pretty reliable that the border is not going to open this summer at all. Anyone else hear that? Wouldn't surprise me with the cases going up so dramatically in some locations of the US.

KBC

WKR
Your probably right. This hunting season is getting expensive just on gear with the border closed. Usually I have things shipped to a P.O. Box in WA and just pick things up after work. Now I have to get things shipped to Canada so shipping is a lot more and you have to try and keep the value low-ish to avoid duty. Usually you are good driving across to avoid duty on stuff for a lot more than the $50 limit plus toss in a 6 pack of delicious American craft beer...

I know, I know, peanuts compared to what some of you might lose on guided hunts though. I feel for you.

Jimbob

WKR
Listening to the Canadian government and the provincial governments I do not expect to see the border open for a long time.

In BC, it's looking like high school will only be attending two days a week, they won't confirm this until three weeks before we start. In all of Northern BC there are almost no cases and we can't get our schools open, fat chance they will be opening the border when kids are still staying at home.

SoDaky

WKR
Reckoning.
There is no free lunch.Herd immunity or an effective vaccine.All countries need one of the 2.Canada may have chosen wisely.
Economically?Not so much.Change is coming.

Elk97

WKR
Closure extended today.

Damn. Can't really blame them but it will be the first summer in I don't know how many years that we haven't spent most of our time up there in the boat. I feel sorry for all the marina, fishing charter, and marine businesses up there that depend on the summer boaters/fishermen for their living.

The beaver is a good national symbol for Canada. He's so busy chewing he can't see what's going on. ~Howard Cable

ozyclint

WKR
It's still open for what is considered essential service so pretty much all goods are crossing still. We've had more than one American customer come pick up helicopters from my work in the past couple months as well.

I'll give you a secret though...You can still cross into BC if you are driving to Alaska. Just don't get caught hanging around, there has been a few americans fined pretty decent amounts for "sightseeing". Seems kind of stupid though since there is a ferry from Seattle to AK...

i think i would drive to AK too. taking the ferry would mean going to Seattle.:eek:

We have a family cabin up in northern Quebec and some friends in politics. Hearing fall at the soonest. Some rumbling about January.

they say tourism is way off in general but the lackof US tourist is partially offset by Canadians that cant go to the Maritime provinces.

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
All of the hotels I have reserved in Canada have cancelled my reservations..........My outfitter refuses to discuss rescheduling my hunt. Says he is still planning on a season. Pissed doesn’t even cover where I’m at with this.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
I am seeing some people, including one outfitter today, on social media saying the border might not be open again for 2021 hunting season.... its only the middle of February. Millions have received their second doses of vaccines from Moderna or Pfizer...JNJs and AstraZeneca's are on the way. What am I missing?

DDD

FNG
I wouldn't bet on the borders opening prior to season for non-essential travel.