Canada

Wojo14

WKR
Any inside scoop on if the border going to open on the 21st of May? I have a hunt in Manitoba planned. I might need to switch gears...

~Wojo

They just said on the news today that the provincial PMs are pushing for the border to remained closed. The US side had a tentative date of opening back up on May 20th.

I would be super surprised if it was open before June to be honest. The premier's were just talking about imposing a provincial level border closure this past Friday... the PM (dickhead supreme) was supposed to address it this AM, not sure the outcome of that yet.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Premier Ford doesn't want the Canada-U.S. border open just yet - what do you say to that? Freeland says they discussed this on the weekly first ministers' call.

"We are really daily, even hourly, working on and monitoring the border situation with our U.S. partners. The prime minister was clear today that we believe in acting out of an abundance of caution - we believe it's really important not to squander the gains that Canadians have worked so hard to achieve," she says.

aggieland

WKR
I am juggling the same issue, booked a black bear hunt in B.C and need to figure out what to do with previous booked airline etc. Outfitter does. It know if it will open but said a june hunt is possible. My guess is I will have to just cancel all of it. Sucks

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have/had a Manitoba bear hunt scheduled for the first week of June. My outfitter has pretty much written off the spring bear season altogether at this point. He believes the likelihood of re-opening the border in the next 30-60 days is slim to none with what he's hearing up there. He's proposing some early fall dates if it looks like the border will open by then. If not he's prepared to roll the hunts into next year.

It sucks.

The latest seems to be that they won’t answer if this will extend past May.21. We did just have our first two provinces loosen restrictions.

the running theory is that they’re going to see how the two provinces fair and go from there.
Here is the news after the presser this am.
https://globalnews.ca/news/6935268/coronavirus-us-canada-border-screening/

are you guys able to reschedule till next yearworh your outfitters or cancel for a refund?(Just curious)

aggieland

WKR
I can cancel or reschedule with outfitter but with my schedule i dont know if I can plan this trip again next spring. Outfitter could also push the hunt back into June but I don't know how much that would change the hunt or odd of shot opportunity. Black bear spot and stalk with the longbow is going to be challenging enough as is .

I can cancel or reschedule with outfitter but with my schedule i dont know if I can plan this trip again next spring. Outfitter could also push the hunt back into June but I don't know how much that would change the hunt or odd of shot opportunity. Black bear spot and stalk with the longbow is going to be challenging enough as is .

Ahh got it. I hope they open the borders up for you before then! Glad you have options tho too.

tdot

WKR

Where in BC does you outfitter hunt? June can be better in some areas.

tdot

WKR
This sucks

That area should be good in June, the bigger Boars often are more active/visible in that time period/area. Saw 2 beauty Cinnamon bears up there last week as I was driving thru. Here's hoping something works out for you.