Canadian citizenship

Are there any dual citizens here. I was wondering how hard it would be and how many hoops we would have jump through to apply for Canadian citizenship. My wife has family that has lived in Shawnigan Lake BC since the 70’s if that would help. If there’s any one on here with any experience they’d like to share it would be appreciated.

tater

WKR
If neither of you were born in Canada you will have an uphill battle unless you are either refugees fleeing a hostile state OR you possess a an employment skill-set that is in high demand and are under a certain age.

Here is your starting point to answer questions.

maxp

FNG
I got my dual citizenship but it was due to my dad being Canadian...it still was 2 years but after living in Alberta for 8 years it's been worth it.

maxp

FNG
One of the main selling points here is you can if you wish hunt trophy class mule deer, whitetail, elk, sheep, and bear every year on general tags...not sure if you can get a moose general??? Not many places in the world similar...along with wonderful fishing in summer...

KBC

WKR
In BC you can get OTC tags for mule deer, white tail, elk, moose, caribou, sheep, goats and even bison. Black bear, cougars, bobcat, lynx and wolverine. Only a hunting license (no tags) required for wolves, small game and upland birds.

A hunting license for BC residents is $32 plus tax. The most expensive OTC tag is $70 for bison. Deer, elk and Moose tags are $15-$25. The Limited entry draws are $6 each and all random. If you win a draw you just have to pay for the tag.

You better be a bow hunter even though most of the seasons are long and for rifle. Soon they will take all our guns in this commie sh!thole. As long as the Turd is in charge I'm trying to figure out how to move to the USA. Or more accurately, how to convince my wife we should move to the USA. I would trade either nut to move to Alaska.

Squamch

WKR
Your wife having family in shawnigan will do zero to help you gain citizenship. And you need to reside here 6+ months per year to qualify as a resident.
And you may want to have a gander at housing prices here before you decide to move.

OP
U
Your wife having family in shawnigan will do zero to help you gain citizenship. And you need to reside here 6+ months per year to qualify as a resident.
And you may want to have a gander at housing prices here before you decide to move.
I didn’t think her family would be of any help. The 6+ month a year thing is doable. Housing is absurd everywhere right now. Thanks to all that responded this is the kind of info I was looking for.

OP
U
In BC you can get OTC tags for mule deer, white tail, elk, moose, caribou, sheep, goats and even bison. Black bear, cougars, bobcat, lynx and wolverine. Only a hunting license (no tags) required for wolves, small game and upland birds.

A hunting license for BC residents is $32 plus tax. The most expensive OTC tag is $70 for bison. Deer, elk and Moose tags are $15-$25. The Limited entry draws are $6 each and all random. If you win a draw you just have to pay for the tag.

You better be a bow hunter even though most of the seasons are long and for rifle. Soon they will take all our guns in this commie sh!thole. As long as the Turd is in charge I'm trying to figure out how to move to the USA. Or more accurately, how to convince my wife we should move to the USA. I would trade either nut to move to Alaska.
I don’t know what the process is for someone coming from Canada to the US but it can’t be to complicated. I will agree with you on Alaska though. If you get your wife talked into it and there’s anything I can do let me know.

Squamch

WKR
I didn’t think her family would be of any help. The 6+ month a year thing is doable. Housing is absurd everywhere right now. Thanks to all that responded this is the kind of info I was looking for.

In greater Victoria, a studio condo is $300,000+ a "starter house" is $700,000. There is one road into victoria, the malahat, and when someone runs into or off of a cliff...you can have a 6 hour or more delay.

Also salmon fishing is basically over.

tdot

WKR
I don’t know what the process is for someone coming from Canada to the US but it can’t be to complicated. I will agree with you on Alaska though. If you get your wife talked into it and there’s anything I can do let me know.
It's bloody difficult for a Canadian to get US Citizenship. I've had many friends try and only a few were successful and those were guys who bought their way in with multi million dollar investments within the US economy or with huge legal fees being paid by the likes of Microsoft, Disney and Google. Even then people have had to live in the US for 10+ years without any guarantee. One buddy jokingly proved that it was easier to become a Rwandan Citizen and then leverage that into a US citizenship. I actually think he was correct.

tdot

WKR

What is the relationship? My wife's cousins have gained Landed Immigrant Status and using her family was helpful (though only minimally). Be prepared to be here 100% of the time until you get sorted. Even leaving for a day can throw all your time invested out the window.

There are a certain number of people allowed in every 3 months, based on a point system. There are a number of ways to accumulate points. This is just one method used.

I'd urge you to look into an Immigration Lawyer, pay whatever they're asking and let them guide you through the process. It can save you years and even more wasted money.

tdot

WKR
In greater Victoria, a studio condo is $300,000+ a "starter house" is $700,000. There is one road into victoria, the malahat, and when someone runs into or off of a cliff...you can have a 6 hour or more delay.

Also salmon fishing is basically over.

Come over to Squamish and I'll have you beat on stupid prices by 50-100% everytime, and I'm afraid it's just getting started here.

I'm Canadian and got my US citizenship within the year. Now holding a CA and US passport. Just had to get some paperwork notarized and book my appointment @ the embassy. Pretty easy and painless process.

OP
U

I'm Canadian and got my US citizenship within the year. Now holding a CA and US passport. Just had to get some paperwork notarized and book my appointment @ the embassy. Pretty easy and painless process.

Congratulations and welcome to the US. It seems like it’s easier for Canadians to gain citizenship here than Americans to gain it in Canada.

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
Moved up in 2007 on an employer provided work visa (which put me on a different (supposedly faster?) track) and immediately began putting my time in for permanent resident status. After paperwork, medical tests, background checks, citizen tests, ceremony and more paperwork it took me 7 years. Became dual in 2014. It’s a long road and the process is much different than when I started.

I get asked for advice on how to do it often. My only answer is find a job and I’m not even sure that would work any more.

I’ve sacrificed many things to live here. So far I don’t regret it, but can see it may not be that way forever.

KBC

WKR
I've worked in the USA a bit for a few years before covid on field service through my work. My work visa actually expired last month but there are hints the road trips/field service may start again soon so it might be renewed.
I have some specialized training and have been told it would be pretty easy to get a job that would sponsor me in the USA because of it. I'm looking into getting my A&P license in the USA which would probably help things a bit as since in Canada I'm an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (AME). Its a fancy way of saying helicopter mechanic hahaha.

Finding the job is the key to getting in. My Brother-in-law is Canadian and has his green card because he got the job first. Some places will sponsor you and your wife if they want you bad enough although that is not as common.

Sorry this got off track and went in the opposite direction you were looking for...
Congratulations and welcome to the US. It seems like it’s easier for Canadians to gain citizenship here than Americans to gain it in Canada.

Dual citizen here. Got sponsored by my employer 12 years ago to move to BC from CO. The immigration lawyer prepared a 35 page document on why my services would benefit the economy of Canada. Started on the track to permanent residency immediately which took 3 years. Then 3 more years to Canadian citizenship (6 years total).

Note that I was a BC resident on my 366th day in BC and went and bought a resident mule deer license and hunting license.

I like it here and we built our retirement house up here a few years ago. I don’t like the closed border to the US though! No Coues deer hunting in AZ or bird bunting in WA & OR wasn’t fun over the past year.