Canadian Dall Outfitters

Northwinds308

Lil-Rokslider
I saw the helicopter mentioned on their website and was hoping that would more than make up for the lack of horses. All the trips I have been on for moose, elk etc were horseback so I knew I would be capable of a horseback hunt but was a little concerned about a backpack trip especially with the altitude. I originally wanted to go with Dan Reynolds in the Yukon because most of my hunting friends went with him but that was about 15 years ago and most of those guys are gone and the ones that are still here have lost their contacts with Reynolds outfitting; and I have been striking out with searching on my own. So right now I am looking at Nahanni and Arctic Red but leaning to Nahanni because of the goat. Maybe Arctic Red for a follow up hunt if I survive Nahanni

You'll survive just fine, it more than makes up for the lack of horses. They know the area well so they can accomodate to a large degree. Some areas are more accessable than others.

Like I said you don't need to be superman, just be honest with yourself and your guide and don't quit on them and you'll be alright. I think they're booking up 2021 but they might have a couple of slots left. If you're serious I'd try to contact them sooner rather than later.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
You'll survive just fine, it more than makes up for the lack of horses. They know the area well so they can accomodate to a large degree. Some areas are more accessable than others.

Like I said you don't need to be superman, just be honest with yourself and your guide and don't quit on them and you'll be alright. I think they're booking up 2021 but they might have a couple of slots left. If you're serious I'd try to contact them sooner rather than later.
Thanks for the input......I am going to check with them on available dates for 2021 and if not then 2022. My only dilemma will be if I will be able to make 2021 work with my schedule.....I know 2022 won’t be a problem. Once the deposit is down it’s too late to make a change. Only way to know is to check with them

Murtfree, you'll be fine at 60 if you are in any kind of condition. I went with Canol on a Dall hunt 2 years ago when I was 64 and shot a dandy with my bow on the 7th day. Good outfit too. You get dropped off the helicopter and backpack from there. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!!!!

idig4au

WKR
I've done two backpack sheep hunts with Gana River, both times successful and can highly recommend.

I can't believe the prices the outfitters are charging now up in NWT and even in Alaska for Dalls. The cost of sheep hunting has always been ridiculous, but now its just getting stupid and far surpasses inflation rates.

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Murtfree, you'll be fine at 60 if you are in any kind of condition. I went with Canol on a Dall hunt 2 years ago when I was 64 and shot a dandy with my bow on the 7th day. Good outfit too. You get dropped off the helicopter and backpack from there. Good luck and enjoy the hunt!!!!
Blockcaver, thanks for the feedback. It’s helpful since I have been watching too many videos of young 30 year old studs with huge packs running around on cliffs and rock slides virtually on top of the world and I begin to think maybe I waited to long to do this. I’m in descent shape for my age but I am certainly going to need to get better prepared. I just noticed when researching last night that Canol also used helicopters which put them back on my list of possibilities. It seems like these small helicopters are replacing horses for transportation in the outfitting business.

Blockcaver, thanks for the feedback. It’s helpful since I have been watching too many videos of young 30 year old studs with huge packs running around on cliffs and rock slides virtually on top of the world and I begin to think maybe I waited to long to do this. I’m in descent shape for my age but I am certainly going to need to get better prepared. I just noticed when researching last night that Canol also used helicopters which put them back on my list of possibilities. It seems like these small helicopters are replacing horses for transportation in the outfitting business.

Not to take anything away from the young sheep hunter, but If I was a betting man I would guess you will get more out of this hunt than they do. At your age you will definitely be stopping more often to enjoy the views. Maybe that is just my way of convincing myself to really try to enjoy life’s moments because when you are over the hill you know every hunt is one more closer to your last. I will be 51 when I go on my sheep hunt in Alaska next year and I would say the mental toughness is just as important as physical conditioning.
I hope you have a great hunt and also kill your ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Not to take anything away from the young sheep hunter, but If I was a betting man I would guess you will get more out of this hunt than they do. At your age you will definitely be stopping more often to enjoy the views. Maybe that is just my way of convincing myself to really try to enjoy life’s moments because when you are over the hill you know every hunt is one more closer to your last. I will be 51 when I go on my sheep hunt in Alaska next year and I would say the mental toughness is just as important as physical conditioning.
I hope you have a great hunt and also kill your ram.

You are definitely correct on how things are viewed as we get older. I am stubborn old goat and very goal oriented; quit usually isn’t in my vocabulary. I’m sure I will make it as long as my guide is willing to wait for me to catch up occasionally while I catch my breath and the view

bradb

WKR
Missed the words above, just back from yukon peak outfitters. Great hunt, screwed up on grizzly. Did ruin my sheep cape, face on other side is destroyed, so if anyone has a extra?

Take a serious look at Clay and Jim Lancaster at Nahanni Butte/North West Territory Outfitters.

I've known Clay personally for years and he's probably been on more sheep than anyone alive. They're killing stud rams up there.
Will be there opening week in 2020. Can’t wait!

Missed the words above, just back from yukon peak outfitters. Great hunt, screwed up on grizzly. Did ruin my sheep cape, face on other side is destroyed, so if anyone has a extra?

How did you mess up the cape? On the fall?

bradb

WKR
He dropped at the first shot like ton of bricks and just below sight. We sat celebrating, relaxing, doing some video cuts for about 15 minutes and then he stood back up, the flared ram with him stood in the way for a follow up as hev would stand and lay. Moved closer and as he jumped off the rock a follow up sort of ruuning in the trees shot went in by spine and blew soft ball size hole by his lower jaw with other holes in snout.
I will try to post couple pics from video, of exit of first shot and secondScreenshot_20191006-155515_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20191006-155515_Messages.jpgScreenshot_20191006-155504_Messages.jpg

Great info in this thread that I’ll certainly be committing to memory. Rokslide is quite the knowledge bank - I’m hooked.

Personally had a great hunt with South Nahanni Outfitters In NWT. Took a 10-11 year old Dall Ram and nice Caribou. Werner and Sunny run a class operation, with very high success. I had a blast.

I'll throw out a recommendation for Raven's Throat Outfitters in NWT. Hunted with them in 2018. Was awesome. Very classy management, great guides, great sheep.