Canadian Hilleberg owners?

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Just wondering if hillebergs are worth the bending over we take to get them up here. I've been looking at the Nallo 4 for a while but according to the numbers hilleberg sent me it's going to cost me about $1600 of our Canadian pesos. This tent would mostly be used for family camping trips with some yearly hunting thrown in there. I realize that a tent like this is largely overkill for this purpose, but I'm drawn to it for its reputation for long term durability and the fact that the poles are on the outside of the fly so that I can set it up in rain with less possibility of the inside getting wet. Any thoughts or other options are welcome.

MattBC

FNG
They're worth the money but it really depends what you are using it for. Are you going to be taking your family backpacking somewhere where you need a 4 season tent with the potential for terrible weather? If so, then bite the bullet and purchase the tent. If you're looking for a tent for truck camping i would consider something different, like a wall tent or an arctic oven.

tdot

WKR
Look into condensation issues with the Nallo. I don't have the Nallo, but a number of the Hilleberg designs have poor venting, and may be quite a poor choice for family summer camping.

The cost of the Hilliberg is worth it, if you need the attributes that they bring. If you're just looking for durability, there are other better priced options.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I think a lot of condensation issues guys report with Hillebergs is because they try running one tent for everything and a 4 season tent just isn't going to work in some situations as well as other options. There's plenty of Hille tents in their lineup that vent much better than the Nallo, and Hilles are over built anyways so even their yellow label lineup handles severe weather well, with better venting options, just a little cooler inside because of that fact.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies gentlemen! I fully realize a hille is quite overkill for most family camping, but I am trying to find a "one tent for most situations " I would be using it for late season hunts as well as some family backpacking. The durability thing is big for me as my kids can be hard on riggin. The exterior pole design also makes a lot of sense to me as the last 2 family trip we took I ended up setting up in downpours. As far as condensation issues I have looked at the yellow label tents as well but they don't have anything larger than a 4 man. If there are other options out there I am all ears but if they dont have similar feature then I'll probly just stick with my cabelas outfitter tent for now

OP
M

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
Lol... I have a cabelas outfitter tent it's just a pita to set up especially in the rain. It's also a pain to set up for really quick weekend run and gun weekend trip. It also weighs 27 lbs so I'm not carrying it to far.