Canadian looking to hunt elk in Montana

Me and some buddies up here in Saskatchewan are looking at doing an archery elk hunt in Montana if we can get drawn and if borders go back to normal. Just looking for advice on picking a solid unit where we can get into elk. We are all in good shape and will backpack as far as we have to. So many units to pick from that I don’t even know where to start! Thanks for any advice!

kvw4x4

Lil-Rokslider
I’m assuming 2022? The 2021 season has been drawn already, I would recommend paying for a go hunt subscription, great resource and it will help you narrow down the successful units, I would say don’t pick the highest harvest odds unit, that’s what a lot of people will have on the mind, pick the top 5 and dig a little deeper into them. Your not gonna jump on here as a newbie to ask and be told where the good hunting spots are, now if you narrow down a unit and area, And ask specifically about that, you may get some advice

OP
Robinsonc14
Thanks! Yes 2022, I do have a go hunt insider accounts have have been doing research and would basing a hunt off of heard numbers be a good thing? Id like to be in the areas around 293,284,281 or 150,151. Around the north west.

KHNC

WKR
I was just about to say, ANYWHERE, but the North West. Elk density is LOW, Wolf density is HIGH.

OP
Robinsonc14
I was just about to say, ANYWHERE, but the North West. Elk density is LOW, Wolf density is HIGH.
On go hunt it shows a pretty good density in the area of units 293,284. Has this maybe changed due to wolves? And if so is there a good website to visit to get the most up to date elk numbers?

Not only are elk numbers way down in the northwest but it’s also not what I’d call user friendly hunting. Mostly timber. Thick too. You either kill one or see nothing. That’s not much fun. Look at regions 2 and 3.