Cancellation sheep hunt

keller

WKR
Just seen this.cancellation sheep hunt with Wayne kubat. $16k. Aug 18-28

VernAK

WKR
I drove the Alcan on north side of TMA yesterday and it's completely snow covered yet while DCUA has bare ridges on the north side.

Great outfitter. Has a federal sole use concession. Has been in the business a long time.

These deals are popping up all over in the outfitter world. And they will continue with the uncertainty in all aspects of our economy as we move forward unfortunately.

If you have the funds and the patients to deal with the potential for your hunt to be postponed till next year due to circumstances outside the outfitters control; this might be a good time to plan a sheep hunt in Alaska.

jofes

WKR
Are guys bailing because there IRA's and jobs are taking a hit and cant come up with the final payment or are they are worried about travel? I cant see a reason to jump ship this far out if you already had the funds set aside for something this big.

Wapiti1

WKR
Great deal with a good outfit. They are booked out 2-3 years usually.

Yes, you are going to see a bunch of these. I've seen a moose/grizz cancellation in Alaska that dropped $20k due to a cancellation.

Jeremy

VernAK

WKR
how do you think TMA will handle it?

Too soon to tell. The surveys will be flown in June after lambing. The DCUA gets a lot more wind to blow snow off some areas.

I'm just getting started with ATV rides this next week but can't get near sheep country. Thus far, I'm not liking what I am seeing in the moose population as I have a dead one near my house and another buddy has two dead moose in his yard.

Snyd

WKR
Too soon to tell. The surveys will be flown in June after lambing. The DCUA gets a lot more wind to blow snow off some areas.

I'm just getting started with ATV rides this next week but can't get near sheep country. Thus far, I'm not liking what I am seeing in the moose population as I have a dead one near my house and another buddy has two dead moose in his yard.

Bummer about the moose. We've had cows with twins running around downtown Fairbanks all winter and they looked real good. Others around here in the hills saw healthy looking moose all winter.

I think a bunch of cancellations will be from guys that even though they have the money to still do it are facing the reality that in this economy its not very responsible to spend that kind of money on a sheep hunt... .Buyers remorse maybe.. You look at a lot of guys sheep hunting and they are in their 30's and 40's so kids at home and bills to pay so 20-30 grand on a hunt probly doesn't seem so good right now.. I totally get it that's why I am still in the >1club :) BUT the right cancellation deal and I'm going....

I think a bunch of cancellations will be from guys that even though they have the money to still do it are facing the reality that in this economy its not very responsible to spend that kind of money on a sheep hunt... .Buyers remorse maybe.. You look at a lot of guys sheep hunting and they are in their 30's and 40's so kids at home and bills to pay so 20-30 grand on a hunt probly doesn't seem so good right now.. I totally get it that's why I am still in the >1club :) BUT the right cancellation deal and I'm going....

Agree 100 percent. And the longer this rages on in our nations economy the more we will see. Lots of my clients have been small business owners.

I’m sure with some of their businesses shut down having an expendable amount to spend on a $20K sheep hunt or keep their business up and running.....I know what most will choose. And I can’t blame them at all. With the uncertainty that is now our country’s economy I see many more hunts this year canx. The precedent was set this year with AK canx all of our spring bear hunts. What is a small business owner to think? It sucks and I feel for them and the outfitters as well.

And yes I sympathize with these sheep outfitters and guides.. Especially after missing out on their spring season it is shaping up to be a tough year for all..

wysongdog

WKR
It's a double edged sword the clients and the outfitters. Right now with this nightmare taking over our country I truly don't believe there's a right answer for anyone. You are damned if you do and damned if you don't. I'm in the oilfield service business and that is really in a shit hole. Trying to find different type of general construction work that neither me or my guys are really trained for but will have to figure it out if I want to keep our business functioning and my guys putting food on their table. That all being said there's nothing more than I would love to do than go stone sheep hunting, but I'm afraid that I'll be using my hunting fund money for paying bills etc....

NUGGET

WKR
Pretty sure a rokslide member had that slot with wayne for this fall. Maybe they will chime in why they cancelled. 20% off? I'm sure someone took it already...