Cancelled Hunts- Refund or Reschedule?

What would you do? We have a hunt booked in Canada for the first week of May. I highly doubt that will be possible. We asked the booking agent when they will make a decision to cancel the hunt. He said... they won’t up until the last minute. That’s not working very well for scheduling time off at work for me or my two partners.

Then we asked about refunds when they cancel. He says refunds will simply be rescheduled hunts. We told him that’s not possible. I’m booked up for the next 3 years and my partner is booked for 5 years out. I think that’s too long to let a deposit ride. Besides who knows what we’ll be doing in 2026! Our other concern is they cancelled last year’s hunters as well so how will they fit 3 years worth of hunters into next year? I believe we are entitled to the refund. Your thoughts?

Wapiti1

WKR
Probably not what you want to hear, but what you are entitled to is what your contract says about the deposit.

What you get may or may not follow that. I'm assuming you have a contract with the outfit for the hunt.

I have two hunts that are in this category, and am working with the outfits to get a solution that works. In my case, I want to do the hunts, so I'd rather fit dates to my schedule. You can push for a refund, and I suspect they'll give you one if they can. They may not be able to, and in that case, you push the dates, or eat it.

Of course, push too hard, and they may just say force majeure and tell you to go fly a kite. As I have found as a purchaser of supplies for my company, pandemics are covered under force majeure.

Jeremy

The hunt in question is too good not to go and do it when it reopens, I'd let the deposit ride, take the next available date and be thankful you aren't out the full price of the hunt.

Laramie

WKR
You have hunts booked in May for 3 and 5 years out?

As others have said, you will be at the mercy of your contract. Try to understand the position these people are in. Their livelihood relies on hunters from the lower 48. If everything gets cancelled again, and they give all deposits back and make nothing for 2 years straight, good chance they won't be able to remain in business in the future.