Canis Alpine Light Pants Just Arrived. Progressive Review From Heavy Field User.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey everyone. A quick little bit about myself... I am 34 years old and a lifelong outdoorsman and hunter from Northern California. I live on 200 acres and am lucky to have the mountains about 2 hours east and the Pacific Ocean only 45 minutes to the west. I spend a lot of time in the field and use my gear very heavily compared to most hunters. It’s a rare day when I don’t spend at least 2 hours out in the field hunting, hiking, shooting, training, scouting, etc.

I bought (not in any way sponsored other than the 15% Rokslide discount) a brand new pair of the Canis Alpine Light Pants in their Grapeleaf solid color. I figured since this is a new brand who is trying to make an impression I would post up a comprehensive and ongoing review of these pants as I use them in the field.

So without blabbing anymore let’s get to it.

First Impressions...

Quality: The pants look to be stitched quite well. My wife makes custom clothing as a side job/hobby and she was impressed with the quality of the stitching.

Fitment: I am 6’1” and 185 lbs and consider myself to be in well above average shape. I wear a 30-34 in blue jeans and wear 30T in hunting brand pants. I ordered the 30T in these pants and for me they fit true to my size however, there are some important notes. These pants are definitely “athletic” or “slim” fit as some guys might say. You can definitely tell the cut was engineered in Europe as the tag states. For me personally the fit is great. I hate extra baggy pants and extra material rubbing together in the legs. You don’t get that at all with these pants. If you are very muscular or fat and rely on that extra space in the thighs and seat of the pants you may not like how slim these are cut. One other thing I will note is that for me the freedom of movement is really good in the pants. The fabric stretches when it needs to and seems to move well hiking steep hills and sitting/squating. All in all they are very “comfortable” pants and I really like the overall fit and finish.

Fabric: These are made from Codura 4 way stretch fabric and then they are treated with a water repellent finish. The tag states that the pants are 89% Polyamide and 11% Elasthane. Since I do a lot of spot and stalk hunting I was very curious to see how “noisy” the Codura was going to be in a pant. They are definitely not the most quiet pants I’ve ever worn. With that being said, since the fabric is slim cut and doesn’t rub together they are not very loud in the field as of yet. Using a 15 mph wind to my advantage I tested them out on a coyote last week and was able to stalk in to about 30 yards before he either heard me or got wind of me. For a comparison... When I rub them together inside a quiet house, they are just a little bit louder than my Sitka Jetstream Jacket with the gore wind stopper shell. That’s the best comparison I have wish I could provide more details. I will be curious to see how they do crawling on granite rock up in the sierras and how the material holds up and the noise level. I’ll be back up scouting in the sierras in two weeks and will report back.

Features: These pants do have a pretty nice and well thought out set of features. Some of them are a little gimmicky like the elastic waist band that’s designed to “keep your base layer tucked in”. I’ve never had an issue like that in the field and I’ve never been a fan of the feeling of that sticky little band on bare skin. I haven’t noticed it on these pants yet even in some 100 degree field days so far.

The leg vents are really nice after a long hike or if it’s really hot out. They go from the ankle up to about the mid calf. Decent feature and they work fairly well. Not the “best” for trying to dump excessive heat but the pants are pretty light to begin with and don’t overheat me at all.

The knee pads are an absolute must for me. I have really bad knees from sports injuries and can’t spend a lot of time crawling without good quality knee pads. The knee pads on these pants are great. They seem to be “slimmer” when compared to say the knee pads in the Sitka Timberline pants. They are also somehow “cooler”. I used to sweat and then feel the pads rub a little with the Timberlines. I don’t get that with these and it’s been 90-100 degree highs every day since I received these. Another thing I hate with knee pads is having to “shift” them when crawling long distances. These seem to stay in place and I don’t find myself reaching down to shift them back to my knees like some pants in the past. The knees of the pants are reinforced with extra material and they have done well so far crawling around dry grass and foxtails. The real test will be how they hold up after the hard use on rock this fall.

The lace hook and draw string are nice features as well. I like being able to roll the pants up and draw them tight while I throw some gaiters on to cross a stream. The lace hook also works well and I use it everyday. I climb steep rolling hills at home and hate when my pants bunch up around the ankles or get caught on top of the laces knot or whatever. The hook keeps them down in steep climbing really nicely so far.

The pockets are laid out nice with your standard had warmer pockets and rear seat pockets. You also get two side pockets on each leg with their own zippers which works well. Just don’t forget which one you put your gear in. I keep 3 extra rounds in my left side pocket always while stalking for varmints at home. I had a string of rabbits at 300 yards and I went 3 for 4 on 4 shots and needed to reload the mag and get the 4th one down before he ran off. I fumbled around the pockets that are really close toand opened the wrong one and got a little upset when the rabbit ran off.

Temps: These are the “light” version of their pants meaning they are designed for early season and mid season. So far I have only been able to test them in 60-100 degrees. I have not overheated in them at all. The one time I was hiking and was getting too warm I opened up the side vents and was fine. I’ll be curious to see how they do going the other waythis Fall.

Field Use/Longevity: Time will tell on longevity as I keep this review rolling. I have 10 field days in them so far. All spot and stalk coyote hunting mixed with some sitting and glassing. I’ve also spent some time shooting rabbits and squirrels when the coyotes evade me or don’t come into where I’m glassing. They seem to be holding up well so far and I’m really liking the pants the more I use them. I’ll be taking them onto my next scouting trip up at 6,500-9,500 feet of elevation in the sierras in two weeks. Looking forward to reporting back after that.

Hope this interests some of you guys and gals and I’ll keep the updates coming as often as I can. So far they seem to be a really well made and well thought out pair of pants. Now let’s see how they perform under some heavy field use.

I’m happy to answer any detailed questions in this thread so ask away.

Thanks.
John.

4DACC4D5-119C-4F39-AFEE-7E9C90E9F773.jpegF9821F2C-43BC-4B2D-831A-D09F190F916C.jpeg0845E0BC-47D4-4FBC-9A96-EAB48D1D8203.jpegF85F6052-485E-4D02-94B8-904860866F91.jpeg09E510D8-BF5D-45CC-93A4-12773B72D2E6.jpeg762E8281-A547-4452-BC58-2A865EF1F446.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I'm baffled by the lower leg vents. It seems like you'd end up filling your pants/shoes with debris if you tried to use them anywhere brushy.

I feel like John Madden explaining football... “You see, if you notice debris filling up your pant leg, simply pull up on that zipper and close it.” I personally wouldn’t do any heavy brush busting with self induced holes in the legs of my pants but that’s just me.

I'm baffled by the lower leg vents. It seems like you'd end up filling your pants/shoes with debris if you tried to use them anywhere brushy.
I’d second this. Using gaiters would render the vent useless. I’d prefer it to be a hip vent rather than a calf vent. Larger muscle produces more heat. Also a mesh covering the opening would keep debris out while allowing you to dump heat. But maybe that would have been patent infringement....🤷🏻‍♂️

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’d second this. Using gaiters would render the vent useless. I’d prefer it to be a hip vent rather than a calf vent. Larger muscle produces more heat. Also a mesh covering the opening would keep debris out while allowing you to dump heat. But maybe that would have been patent infringement....🤷🏻‍♂️

I definitely agree with the hip/quad vent would be a better design. I took the pants out during lunch break for 2 hours (still working from home COVID) and it’s currently 99 degrees with almost no breeze. The calf vents help a bit to get some air moving through as your walking but I was definitely wanting more cooling if possible in the bigger muscle group of the legs.

I wasn’t “overheated” by any means since the pants are pretty light as it is, but it’s just stinking hot out today even in shorts outside. For hunting pants they are doing pretty well managing the heat overall.

I like the mesh idea a lot, you’re right could be a patent thing. I’m still not worried about debris getting in there but if it becomes an issue I’ll be sure to report on it. I can always have my wife sew in some light weight mesh for me too if it comes to it. I’ll report back after some manzanita bashing in two weeks.

JohnB

WKR
Cool, I hope they work for you. There is a bunch of cheatgrass where I live so I'd be picking seeds and bits out of my pants and socks. Plus as you said the upper leg vents would cool you off a bit better than the lower leg.

The other feature I'm a bit skeptical of is the ankle cinch. It's a great feature on some of the pants I have, but I think the cinch should be inside the cuff of the pant. It's a bit harder to adjust, but it keeps that loop from catching on things.

Last edited:
OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Took the pants on a 5 day scouting trip where we put in about 30 miles or so of backpacking plus another who knows how many miles of stalking through woods.

The Good: They were very comfortable to hike in. Some of the best fitting and most comfortable hunting pants I’ve ever backpacked in. They seem to have held up really well. I was going through a lot of manzanita and brush, also lots of crawling and sliding on my butt on steep granite. The pants durability seems to be good so far. The knees pads were a life saver for me crawling on that granite.

The Bad: As some of you were skeptical about, the calf vents are def a miss. They do provide a little bit of venting but not a ton. I got them snagged on a protruding portion of a log, twice, and ended up zipping them up. I thought for sure I had torn the pants on the 2nd time catching it as the vent took my full body weight falling because it tripped me up. Luckily the pants didn’t rip. If you’re sitting and glassing or hiking places where there is no brush the vent is fine, but for any brush busting or woods scouting I’d keep them shut. They are def a “light” pant and will require a base layer for any temps below about 35 degrees depending on if you run hot or cold. I was comfortable in them in the low 40s with just merino boxers but any colder and I’d probably want my 150 merino long johns while static in them glassing and around camp. I do get cold easy for what it’s worth.

Overall I am very pleased with them and will continue to report back with my review as the year goes on. I’ll be doing another scouting trip in the next few weeks and will keep everyone updated.

20D28247-F3BF-4ACC-8071-F4FD14DA5E92.jpegEFC48912-B618-4B79-A775-26F596A6D42F.jpeg

Last edited:

JNDEER

WKR
Keep up the reviews. The zips are the main reason I stick with kuiu.

Slick rock / twin peaks area? Good for bears 👍

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Keep up the reviews. The zips are the main reason I stick with kuiu.

Slick rock / twin peaks area? Good for bears 👍

This is in D5 high country, south west of fallen leaf lake in desolation wilderness. My buddy convinced me to head up that way for a few days. Minimal deer. Saw some bears. Lots and lots of lion tracks and poop. Explains why the low deer numbers and low sign. Not an area I would have suggested for him but he was convinced on glassing a couple big drainages out that way. Fun trip either way!

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Took the pants out for the Northern A Zone California opener last weekend. It was hot out but it was a great hunt where I saw lots of deer and two bucks that were legal shooters. One of them being a pretty dandy forky but I decided to hold off and let the season roll and I'll be back out in two weekends.

The pants continue to perform well. Hiked some steep hills to set up under some oak trees for a multi hour ground sit. Pants are comfortable and do well in the high heat since they are thin. They are a bit noisier than I would like when rubbing against trees and brush. Also when shifting around to get a sight picture on the dandy buck for practice they made a bit of noise brushing up against the dry grass on the ground which caught the attention of a spike buck that was less than 65 yards away. He didn't do anything other than stare for a bit and flick his tail a bunch then go back to feeding.

I do like how the foxtails and dry brush don't get stuck in the pants at all. Everything brushes off easily but that does mean a little bit of noise for hunting. I will likely wear them again for my next trip out and I'll be even more careful than normal when moving when deer are close by.

Set up on a nice little drainage where I had seen fresh sign and beds scouting.
Azone2.jpg

One of the largest beds I've seen in several seasons. Lots of poop around it too.
azone4.JPG

1st Evening out waiting for the sun to go down behind the hill. Ended up seeing 4 bucks that night. Looking promising as the weather hopefully cools as the season rolls on.
azone1.JPG

This doe came into less than 20 yards before she finally winded me and stared at me for about 5 minutes before feeding off slowly.
azone3.PNG

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
These pants have been real busy this summer and coming into Fall we aren’t slowing down. I’ve taken them on several hunting trips and they got their first blood stains on a nice blacktail here in California. I’ll be back up in California D3 next week chasing mule deer hybrids. Hunted some nice terrain and saw lots of deer last trip. Hoping to close the deal on a dandy and let the young bucks keep growing.

Pants have performed really well in all kinds of different hunting scenarios. From still hunting the wood, to stalking on granite, and slow stalking through coyote brush, foxtails, and poison oak... They are holding up great so far. I was really impressed on how much of a beating they took on my last trip. I had about a quarter mile of manazanita choked hell hole to get through, to access a rock face where I could glass a little drainage bowl that held a ton of deer. Fun little trek and the pants handled it great.

C3B68C7D-EF38-40A5-8628-D7155E4ADE5B.jpeg

The green solid also blends in really nicely with natural terrain here in the Sierras. See if you can find me sitting in this little snow run off meadow that I morning hunted for a couple hours.

414F7AD8-3DDD-4F67-A469-778A0BFDBB04.jpeg

Attachments

• B0A4F441-DF90-4FF0-8364-457193B70B11.jpeg
    B0A4F441-DF90-4FF0-8364-457193B70B11.jpeg
    176.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 5F100D13-D577-4E30-A3E1-0F2FF5F3F95C.jpeg
    5F100D13-D577-4E30-A3E1-0F2FF5F3F95C.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 31

slowelk

WKR
@mxgsfmdpx how did these do for you through your season? I just ordered a pair of the alpine pants. I'm a little concerned about their athletic fit, I'm a 32/33x34 in all types of pants, but can't wear anything labeled "slim". This also has me concerned about the functionality of the hip pockets - I hope my thighs don't take up too much real estate.

Some features that attracted me - the material, the built-in "gaiter" and drawstring, the low-pro knee pads. I also just wanted to try something new.

I'll add onto this thread with my thoughts.

valtteri

FNG
@slowelk How did you find the fit?

I wear Arcteryx Gamma LT pants (stretchy climbing pants) almost everyday and am looking for similar pant for hunting, I just need more pockets than the Gamma LT has. Looking for input on the fit of the Canis pants.

slowelk

WKR
@slowelk How did you find the fit?

I wear Arcteryx Gamma LT pants (stretchy climbing pants) almost everyday and am looking for similar pant for hunting, I just need more pockets than the Gamma LT has. Looking for input on the fit of the Canis pants.

Athletic is the best way to describe them. Could still fit a base layer under with room to move.

OP
mxgsfmdpx

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
These are a good lightweight pant and have held up fine. A bit noisy but not terrible.

I made the switch, and fell in love with Fjallraven pants and haven’t really worn these since to be honest. Haven’t worn any other hunting pants since. Sorry for the lack of update.