Canis Alps Hooded Down Jacket Review ***Updated 6/15/2020***

j33

WKR
Do you have any experience with the Pamir? Apex insulation at 3.5oz in body and 2.4oz sleeve, comparable to Kifaru LLP for lower cost and lower weight.

Tough finding any reviews for these guys.

j33

WKR
Canis got back to me and they don't have plans for make the Alps hooded down jacket in Grape Leaf colour.

I'm looking into the Pamir but I think it's temp rating will fall short with only 3.5oz of Apex.

Also FYI the Alps down 3/4 pants have 3.5oz down fill, not as much as their jacket

Last edited:

Benjblt

WKR
Canis got back to me and they don't have plans for make the Alps hooded down jacket in Grape Leaf colour.

I'm looking into the Pamir but I think it's temp rating will fall short with only 3.5oz of Apex.

Also FYI the Alps down 3/4 pants have 3.5oz down fill, not as much as their jacket
Looks like they are now making this in a brown color.

Benjblt

WKR
f01dfc7b4ccf5a5cbe900121d2e00312.jpg

e325f391a18019b451f79afc293c8a5e.jpg

d73caeb823a3282fdbd54a0a450d3b89.jpg

ecca204f31debc22e1a8916af08fdcea.jpg

I seriously did wear it all season. From Sept archery to the end of November and even now when I go after wolves. I adjust my base and mid layers according to the weather but always take the Canis Alps Hooded Down.

It packs down very well.

Another “fashion” issue. The hood is awesome, but looks hilarious. So, high on function, low on fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you still liking this jacket? How do you like the waterproof hood and shoulders? I'm mostly interested in this jacket possibly being a more durable option to other puffies.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you still liking this jacket? How do you like the waterproof hood and shoulders? I'm mostly interested in this jacket possibly being a more durable option to other puffies.

I still have it and we wear it all the time. My freshman son wears it more than I do. I like to know that he’s going to be warm.

Mine isn’t water proof. It’s does shed light rain, but it will get soaked if you don’t protect it. That may have changed with newer versions?

Just FYI, remember that it’s not a “coat”. It’s a jacket. We have an extensive layering system because we’re constantly hiking/climbing. So, we use it as a coat, but as a stand alone garment, it’s a jacket.

Ask me more if you want more info!

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member

Oh! It IS more durable. The BTL “Built to Last” (if I remember right) really is tougher than most jackets in its class. Without exaggeration, it is the only coat/jacket I own that doesn’t have a patch!

Benjblt

WKR
I still have it and we wear it all the time. My freshman son wears it more than I do. I like to know that he’s going to be warm.

Mine isn’t water proof. It’s does shed light rain, but it will get soaked if you don’t protect it. That may have changed with newer versions?

Just FYI, remember that it’s not a “coat”. It’s a jacket. We have an extensive layering system because we’re constantly hiking/climbing. So, we use it as a coat, but as a stand alone garment, it’s a jacket.

Ask me more if you want more info!

By "jacket" you mean it's tighter to the the body and would allow for a a bigger outer layer over it? So it's going to fit tighter than an appropriately sized softshell or, say the Kuiu Super Down Pro (which is definitely a larger fit to go over all your layers).

Would you say it's more durable than Kuiu SDP?

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
By jacket, I mean that it’s not intended to be a late season/winter stand alone coat.

Yes, it is a slim fit. Especially around the chest.

I haven’t worn that Kuiu. I couldn’t make a comparison.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I lied. I have a hole in it now.
Nail beats fabric.
🪨