Canis Alps Hooded Down Jacket Review ***Updated 6/15/2020***

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
This will be a running dialogue/journal of random observations leading up to my review of this jacket.

***Update 6/15/2020*** You can skip ahead to my full review here.

Watching the "tracking" progress waiting for the package to arrive is both exciting and aggravating.
Always worth it when the box finally arrives!

IMG_3334.jpeg
I always try to wear/use the gear as much as possible. Even when it's not in the field.
First impression. Great fit. Unusual sizing. I'm virtually always an XL for shirts and jacket.
Check the Canis sizing chart. This is a 2XL and fits great.
It looks like the camo pattern is "tight". I'm guessing it will virtually look like a solid color once I get some distance between me and the camera. I'll take a variety of pics to test.

IMG_3339.jpeg
IMG_3340.jpeg
The cuffs are awesome. Snug fit, but not too tight.
They aren't squeezing my wrists. I can rotate my hands without twisting the sleeves.

It's gonna be a week or so before I get to chase bears and get up into the snow.
Running errands today. Outside temp is low 50's. I'm running the AC in the pickup full blast. Legs and hands are cold, but core is staying warm :)
(Yes, I know this sounds ridiculous)

IMG_3387.jpeg
I'll try to figure out how to post videos, but look at the above photo. The jacket fits tighter at the sternum. As you pull on the jacket, it sinks in tight at the sternum.

Canis3512.JPG
Well, when the wind picked up and the rain was at its worst, I chose to be a good dad instead of testing out the coat. I figure if it can keep this scrawny kid warm with ZERO body fat... I probably would have been ok.

Canis3511.JPG
I did get to wear it several times over the past 2 days. My brother managed to grab a pic just before I took it off.

Canis3510.JPGCanis3509.JPG
The Canis Alps Hooded Down Jacket packs down tight!! Easy fit into the backpack.

88fda19d07e470cb76e9f76c3e59e1eb.jpg

Framing in the rain. Not torrential, but a good steady rain for an hour and a half to two hours. Repelled the water really well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Roughout

FNG
Subscribing- did you order any other Canis gear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brent9477

FNG
I as well was intrigued with Canis an tried the long sleeve merino top with their alpine light pant . The 2xl top for me fit like an xl for me . The pants were true to size an are very well constructed . Wore them all turkey season an they held up an breathed very well . In my opinion they are comparable to offerings I have by Fl/ Kuiu / Sitka / Kryptek. For me the biggest thing I disliked after receiving I saw all items were made in China . For the premium these guys cost like to see them made in North America.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Subscribing- did you order any other Canis gear?

Sorry. Tap-a-talk wasn’t giving me updates...
No. I’m doing a trial run with the down coat first before I order any other pieces

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I as well was intrigued with Canis an tried the long sleeve merino top with their alpine light pant . The 2xl top for me fit like an xl for me . The pants were true to size an are very well constructed . Wore them all turkey season an they held up an breathed very well . In my opinion they are comparable to offerings I have by Fl/ Kuiu / Sitka / Kryptek. For me the biggest thing I disliked after receiving I saw all items were made in China . For the premium these guys cost like to see them made in North America.

I agree. You’re exactly right with the sizing. I’m an XL in every shirt/coat I’ve ever bought. About a 44-46” chest. This is the 2XL. It’s a good fit.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
What's the actual fill weight? I wish companies would post this up in there specs, most don't.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Their website says 800 Fill Power. 90/10 Water-Repellant Goose Down. I’ll call and see if I can get an answer. Give me a minute...

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Canis Alps Hooded Down Jacket:
Fill Power 800
Fill Weight 150 grams

From the Interwebs:
The Fill Power number on a jacket comes from a standardized lab test and indicates how many cubic inches one ounce of down occupies with a standard weight resting upon it.
Fill Weight is down's weight measure in ounces. Typically, the higher the fill weight, the heavier the product. However, “heavy” doesn't necessarily mean “hot”. For example, a comforter with a high fill weight and a low fill power will feel heavy without being overly insulating.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I
The Canis Alps Hooded Down Jacket:
Fill Power 800
Fill Weight 150 grams

From the Interwebs:
The Fill Power number on a jacket comes from a standardized lab test and indicates how many cubic inches one ounce of down occupies with a standard weight resting upon it.
Fill Weight is down's weight measure in ounces. Typically, the higher the fill weight, the heavier the product. However, “heavy” doesn't necessarily mean “hot”. For example, a comforter with a high fill weight and a low fill power will feel heavy without being overly insulating.

Exactly,
that’s why both numbers are equally important. I had to ask Sitka for the fill weight on the KDL too.:)

thanks for getting that.

Canis

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey thanks for the comments. All leading brands in the market in technical hunting, mountaineering and ski are all made in Asia. That's a fact. Asia is the best manufacturer in the world right now for technical garments. They have the best technology and the most skilled workers. We would be sacrificing quality if we didn't produce in Asia. Unfortunately we simply don't have comparable technology in the US right now.

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
20ebbf8f930f5ef444b5576d8463b21c.jpg

6fd23bdb07b533b7359a269c765b813d.jpg

I’m still using the jacket. The “unfashionably” log coat tail might keep me from wearing it as an every day coat around town but it was a life saver on this hunt. I wore all my Merino and the Hooded Alps Down while sleeping. The extra coverage and the hood made the difference IMO

j33

WKR
Any updates on this coat? Considering ordering one, seems comparable and slightly more heavy duty than the Kuiu Super Pro. SG Grumman is an option but at bit too easy to rip for day to day use I’m thinking.

Any idea what brand of down it is?

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can send an email and ask about the down.

I used the Alps Hooded Down ALL season here in MT. I worked better than I had expected.

Their “BTL” isn’t just marketing. I have zero hole and tears, which has never happened for me before.

I have a lot of photos if you want to see how it fits and looks.

The “negatives”.
I personally don’t like to wear camo when I’m just running around town. If I could have gotten this coat in their grape leaf color, I would wear it every day.

In my review I mentioned the longer coat tail. It’s a life saver when it gets legit cold or when sitting on a pad in the winter or when sleeping in cold temps. But if you’re wearing it for casual wear, it looks kind of odd.

Reactions: j33
OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any updates on this coat? Considering ordering one, seems comparable and slightly more heavy duty than the Kuiu Super Pro. SG Grumman is an option but at bit too easy to rip for day to day use I’m thinking.

Any idea what brand of down it is?

Remember that this is a jacket and not a coat.
It’s thicker and warmer than most jackets, but still isn’t a full on coat. It kind of falls in between the two categories.

IF I REMEMBER RIGHT... the Super Down Pro is gonna be a full on coat and should be a step up in warmth. I haven’t worn the KUIU SDP, but it’s not an apples to apples comparison. IMO

OP
Howard Mee

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
f01dfc7b4ccf5a5cbe900121d2e00312.jpg

e325f391a18019b451f79afc293c8a5e.jpg

d73caeb823a3282fdbd54a0a450d3b89.jpg

ecca204f31debc22e1a8916af08fdcea.jpg

I seriously did wear it all season. From Sept archery to the end of November and even now when I go after wolves. I adjust my base and mid layers according to the weather but always take the Canis Alps Hooded Down.

It packs down very well.

Another “fashion” issue. The hood is awesome, but looks hilarious. So, high on function, low on fashion.

Reactions: j33