Canister fuel inventory

Elk hunter. I am not talking to make my own just wondering if I can use the bigger say jetboil gas to too of the smaller jetboil gas canister.

Not sure if this would even benefit in the long run because of the way it would only equalize rather than fill ounces the big canister got so low so than I would still be stuck with a partial.

You mean like this?

I've been refilling my 1lb propane for years, seemed only natural to be able to do the same w/ my Jetboil fuel canisters. I know, I know some will say OMG that's so dangerous, but really it's not if you use some common sense. (which I agree is lacking these days.) Anyway, weigh a full canister and refill to that weight. All I do is stick the canister I want to fill into the freezer for 30min or so and warm the canister I'm filling from to room temp. Quickly screw both together (valves closed) w/ cold canister on bottom. Fill it a bit and weigh, fill some more, weigh. After a while you'll get the feel for how many sec's to fill them.

I just bought two cheap Stansport stoves (Bi-mart), unscrewed the valves from the burners, and used a metric nut (10mm I think) & some Teflon tape to connect then. Easy peezy.
Anyway just thought I'd share.
Hunt'nFish

Last edited:

ST52v

WKR
That is a slick tip. Maybe someone can post that up under the diy gear mods.

Techbrute

FNG
I carry a sharpie as part of my kit, and just put a tick mark on my Jetboil can every boil. I typically carry an extra, as they don't weigh much, so when it runs out, I switch. Once I get back home, when I'm unpacking, I check the can in the cup and if it's got more than 12 ticks, I punch it and toss it. The 100g Jetboil cans are $4 at REI, so I don't bother trying to refill them.

I carry a full one to start out with, OR, take the partial and a full one for when the partial runs out. Of course, knowing how many boils you get from one and then tracking it will help you avoid carrying the full one as a backup on at least one trip. I never take two partials with me, too risky.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
+3
I bring them on short trips and use them until they run out. It's amazing how far they go when they are empty :)

Yep on trips where weight isn't a big factor, I take as many partials as I can ;)

I still like to carry a full as a spare and run the partial until it is empty. It isn't that much weight, to me at least, and I know I will have enough fuel.