Canister Stoves

Searched some older threads, but didn't see exactly what I was after. I am looking at lightening up my cooking setup.

Looking at the MSR pocket rocket deluxe and Soto Windmaster. Wanting to have a pot to nest a canister and stove inside.

I have read that the Windmaster with the 4 flex causes some nesting problems. What kind of set ups are you guys running?

EmperorMA

WKR
I’ve had both the Soto Windmaster and MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe. The Pocket Rocket Deluxe compares almost exactly to the Soto WindMaster, and without sophisticated equipment to measure the differences, I'd have to say the new MSR is that stove's equal in performance in the wind and at cold temperatures (I've had it down to 17 degrees). Of course, the two are very similar and are designed to excel at the same things. The Pocket Rocket Deluxe also works at 100% capability all the way to the very end of the canister’s fuel supply due to the micr-regulator.

The MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe stows away in a pot easier and, quite frankly, is just easier to live with and use with the non-detachable pot supports. That was one thing I didn’t like about the Soto that MSR has remedied with great stability and no parts to lose or clang around in the titanium. I had the Soto but sold it soon after I bought the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe and got a few trips on it. It has worked very well this winter and I can tell you I am not missing the Soto at all.

Please note that I’m actually a Soto fan and considered the WindMaster to be the very best canister-top stove in the world before using the Pocket Rocket Deluxe.

Napperm4

WKR
Soto Micro regulator with sea to summit x kettle, snowpeak titanium solo set which nests stove and small canister or evernew 2 L pot if I have a partner.

I’ve had both the Soto Windmaster and MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe. The Pocket Rocket Deluxe compares almost exactly to the Soto WindMaster, and without sophisticated equipment to measure the differences, I'd have to say the new MSR is that stove's equal in performance in the wind and at cold temperatures (I've had it down to 17 degrees). Of course, the two are very similar and are designed to excel at the same things. The Pocket Rocket Deluxe also works at 100% capability all the way to the very end of the canister’s fuel supply due to the micr-regulator.

The MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe stows away in a pot easier and, quite frankly, is just easier to live with and use with the non-detachable pot supports. That was one thing I didn’t like about the Soto that MSR has remedied with great stability and no parts to lose or clang around in the titanium. I had the Soto but sold it soon after I bought the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe and got a few trips on it. It has worked very well this winter and I can tell you I am not missing the Soto at all.

Please note that I’m actually a Soto fan and considered the WindMaster to be the very best canister-top stove in the world before using the Pocket Rocket Deluxe.

I am highly considering the MSR pocket Rocket Deluxe. I currently use the MSR windburner system and like it but can cut almost half weight with PR deluxe. My question is do you think you lose some efficiency with the open flame design on the Deluxe vs, the enclosed burner on a system style stove?

Jbehredt

WKR
I’d look at the Soto Amicus over the windmaster. 4 point folding pot supports. Replaced my micro rocket with one. Got the integrated igniter..... only time will tell on that but they put some thought into making it last. Was able to ditch my dedicated cook set mini bic so saved a few grams there. No issues nesting with a small canister inside a Toaks 650.

EmperorMA

WKR
I am highly considering the MSR pocket Rocket Deluxe. I currently use the MSR windburner system and like it but can cut almost half weight with PR deluxe. My question is do you think you lose some efficiency with the open flame design on the Deluxe vs, the enclosed burner on a system style stove?
You absolutely lose some efficiency, both in time and fuel consumption.

For me, anything over three days and you have to start adding extra canister weight into the equation with the PRD, not until four day with the WindBurner. Of course, the calculus also includes a half-pound weight savings with the Pocket Rocket Deluxe and a Titanium kettle along with a bit of space savings, as well.

I like having both. If I’m solo for a long weekend or less, the small stove is a no brainer. Solo 3-5 days has also seen the small stove get the nod.

Solo a week or more gets the WindBurner with 1L pot.

Any trip where I’ll have one or more along with me gets the WindBurner with 1.8L pot. The WindBurner really shines with groups of two or more.

FLAK

WKR
I just got a pocket rocket 2. Havent had a chance to use it yet,
bit this thing is really lightweight.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
It used to be that Soto was the only micro canister stove readily available that had a micro-regulator. Now others have caught up. I've found the inefficiencies of a standard canister stove and Ti pot in terms of heat transfer compared to the JB and Windburner to make it REALLY rare for me to reach for one at all anymore.

JustinEllison

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Soto amicus, testing it out this fall. Just read better review on the Soto’s than the MSR pocket rocket

EmperorMA

WKR
I have the Soto amicus, testing it out this fall. Just read better review on the Soto’s than the MSR pocket rocket
That more than likely was not the MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe in that review. Probably the older Pocket Rocket or Pocket Rocket 2.

i run the snow peak solo ti kit and the snow peak ti gigapower. everything nests great with a little room to spare that i keep a coffee press, lighter, and salt and pepper

sneaky

"DADDY"
Searched some older threads, but didn't see exactly what I was after. I am looking at lightening up my cooking setup.

Looking at the MSR pocket rocket deluxe and Soto Windmaster. Wanting to have a pot to nest a canister and stove inside.

I have read that the Windmaster with the 4 flex causes some nesting problems. What kind of set ups are you guys running?
What nesting problems with the 4 flex? It comes off the stove and packs no differently than any other stove. Makes for a light setup with an Olicamp XTS pot. Canister and stove fit in the pot with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk