Canister vs liquid fuel in AK

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey gang -

Headed to AK in August for a fly in Caribou trip. Debating between a liquid fuel and canister fuel stove based on fuel availability in Fairbanks. My previous trips up there the stove has always been taken care of, but this trip is more DIY. Debating between my Reactor or XGK. I would rather take my reactor but if fuel has been an issue I don’t want to chance it.

Any input is welcomed.

scp

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like canister fuel is less of a problem lately than it was throughout this past winter season. Was in Sportsmans, Fred’s, and Frontier Outfitters each in recent weeks and both liquid fuel and cans were available at each place. Don’t opt out of the Reactor out of fear you won’t be able to get any cans. Have plenty if you need some when you arrive. Happy to set you up—just holler.

I have used both stove types and today I prefer a canister fueled stove. Easier to transport than liquid, and impossible to spill. Instant on/off and no priming when cold. I was worried about fuel availability last fall but it turned out to be a non-issue.

VernAK

WKR
Fairbanks stores had huge inventories of canister fuel last fall. I'll try to update as summer approaches.

Also, I see lotsa hunting ammo arriving at LGS.

Like what's already been said above, you shouldn't have any problem finding either types of fuel, anywhere from Sportsman's Warehouse to Fred Meyers.

Fairbanks has a Sportsman’s Warehouse. They’ll have canister fuel. I’ve bought it there. 👍