Canned Elk Improvements

bonepoint

FNG
We canned elk for the first time this year. Cold packed in pints. 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 TBL of minced garlic. Cooked in pressure canner at 15 psi for 75 minutes (3,500 ft elevation). Slowly brought down to temp (over 20 minutes) to pull out and set on counter.

Flavor was good. Meat was more "chewy" than other canned elk/venison I have had. It was soft enough to shred, just a little tough and chewy when eating.

Do I need to cook longer? Less? Any other ideas?

The elk was a cow that was taken in cold weather and properly cared for. I haven't had any steaks yet to say if they are also tougher, but should in the next couple days. I suspect it had more to do with the canning process than the elk.

You can pressure cook it longer (90 min is standard for quarts) and it would not hurt. I think 4,000 feet elevation is considered "high elevation" for many recipes so a bit longer might be a good idea. Most recipes are for sea level. It may just be the meat cuts used in this batch that is cause of the different texture.

OP
B

bonepoint

FNG
Thanks for the info.

Last night we had our first package of backstrap and it was TOUGH. So, that probably explains a lot of it. Very disappointing.

We have probably had 5-7 cows over the last 5 years all have been great eating, including much older cows than this one. Shot by my son in the cold and handled quickly, and let it hang a week. Almost same scenario as the cow my other son shoot a few weeks prior, which has been great eating. I guess some are just tough animals.

OP
B

bonepoint

FNG
I will still probably try 90 minutes (instead of 75) next time at 15 PSI.

WildHart1

FNG
I did my first attempt at some deer this year and it was kind of tough so i canned up 24 pint jars. did it at 15 psi for 90 minutes at 500 feet elevation and it is the best tasting venison. Really tender and the kids love it as well. I would suggest trying the 90 min at 15 psi at least.