Canning & Smoking

cnelk

WKR
Its been busy in the kitchen canning and smoking meat!

Several quarts and pints of soup & whole meat, 20lbs snack sticks, 5lbs fish and 12lbs summer sausage.

Gonna take a little break and go do some more hunting this week!

AD44469F-1AA8-473B-9D9F-9BCA3ABE7562.jpeg51D9CCAA-C2B5-4646-B05E-703565B2ECE9.jpegC6342B47-B6AB-458E-8B4E-F14295A14B1E.jpegE2AC61DC-E719-4AE6-A54B-216A887BE0AB.jpeg4133761B-7AF2-43AE-B44B-87412C9FB3A6.jpeg
Seer

Last edited:

Clarence

WKR
Great work! You have some fine eating to share and enjoy there. How do you like to use the smoked fish later on?

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

What do you do recipe wise for the canning never done it before and found a pressure canner this year cleaning out my moms house. Seen several recipes online and trying to compare them. Figure do a few small jars to figure out which one i like before I do a large batch. Got a ton of meat to put away this year.

For venison I just cube and brown in a cast iron skillet stuff to ring line 1/2" below top, 1 tsp canning salt and pressure cook for 60-90 min.

nice work! I canned some venison for the 1st time this week, looks good but haven’t tried one yet. Only diff I Did was add a clove of garlic and a little chopped onion to the jars.

what’s the fish you’re smoking?

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Thanks for the replies.
Ive been out in Nebraska getting some more venison!

1- How do you like to use the smoked fish later on?
@Clarence - I just bring some along when I go Ice fishing and eat it out the vacuum seal bag.

2- What do you do recipe wise for the canning
@Packin_packout - All you ever need is in this website -

3- what’s the fish you’re smoking?
@Ocnandmtns - mostly lake trout and some Cutbows

Note:
Its not necessary to brown the cubed meat prior to canning. Its called 'Raw Pack'.

When I make vegetable soup, I brown the burger prior to canning only for meat appearance as it makes it more 'brown'. One thing I like to do when canning soup is to put 1 TBSP of tomato paste in each jar.

Again - this website is GOLD for canning:

Last edited:
OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Here is my technique for smoking venison summer sausage:

Smoked Venison Summer Sausage

• Mix 9lbs of ground venison with 3lb pork fat/pork butt [cubed]
  • Grind
  • Follow seasoning / curing instructions on LEM packet
  • Stuff casings
  • Place / hang in smoker with plenty of space around each

First Hour –

Set temp in smoker to 140 with damper wide open until product is dry/tacky to touch

Second Hour – Fourth Hour

Close damper and raise temp to 180 and smoke for 3 hours

Maintain until internal temperature of the sausage product reaches 165 degrees internally at which time the sausage is fully cooked.

Remove sausages from smoker and shower with cold water.

Blooming –

Suspend sausage at room temperature for 2-3 hours. This allows sausage to dry and ‘age’ before storage

Refrigerate or vacuum seal and freeze for later use

Gbrecka

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies.
Ive been out in Nebraska getting some more venison!

1- How do you like to use the smoked fish later on?
@Clarence - I just bring some along when I go Ice fishing and eat it out the vacuum seal bag.

2- What do you do recipe wise for the canning
@Packin_packout - All you ever need is in this website -

3- what’s the fish you’re smoking?
@Ocnandmtns - mostly lake trout and some Cutbows

Note:
Its not necessary to brown the cubed meat prior to canning. Its called 'Raw Pack'.

When I make vegetable soup, I brown the burger prior to canning only for meat appearance as it makes it more 'brown'. One thing I like to do when canning soup is to put 1 TBSP of tomato paste in each jar.

Again - this website is GOLD for canning:

Do you add any water to your raw pack canned venison? I’m planning to can for the first time this weekend, and 1/2 the recipes I’ve looked up add water and the other 1/2 don’t.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Do you add any water to your raw pack canned venison? I’m planning to can for the first time this weekend, and 1/2 the recipes I’ve looked up add water and the other 1/2 don’t.

I use a little beef broth and a bouillon cube.

Be sure not to overfill or it will puke out